• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

M1a / Socom 16 / EBR

Thanks John.

The targets were looking awfully small over the tip of the front sight. They showed up in the photo a LOT better than I could see 'em, but it turned out ok. I have a couple of stock packs like yours on my bolt guns and like them a lot. Checked out this Triad pack after seeing Brad's post and it's a bit oversized which is perfect for the 20 round M1A mags...

FINALLY!

Got out with the Scout this morning and sent some lead down range. All I can say is DAMN!!! This rifle is one SWEET shooter and the first round surprised the hell out of me. It's the softest shoot'n .308/7.62 I've ever shouldered. Of course there are pics...

Yep, I knew it would be this way. Amazing, isn't it?

That range you were at looks incredible my friend. And nice initial shooting, too!

The targets were looking awfully small over the tip of the front sight....

Don't they always?

I don't think either of us are getting any younger. If it weren't for eyeglasses and a scope, I wouldn't even be able to see a car a hundred yards away from me.

But from looking at the group, looks dandy.

Yep, I knew it would be this way. Amazing, isn't it?

That range you were at looks incredible my friend. And nice initial shooting, too!

Thank you Sir.

The rifle is truly amazing and I couldn't be happier. Our range has really come a long was in the past couple years. A lot of blood and sweat have gone into building it. We run out to 1250yd now. Not sure if you've seen the thread yet, but I posted up a lot of detail here...

http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-1250yd-range-open-in-chapel-hill-tn.9219/

I know you're not too far, so if you're ever up this way look me up. I'd be happy to take you out there to send a few...

Don't they always?

I don't think either of us are getting any younger. If it weren't for eyeglasses and a scope, I wouldn't even be able to see a car a hundred yards away from me.

But from looking at the group, looks dandy.

Thank you Sir.

I was really surprised to see how crisp the targets appeared in the photo. The camera and computer have way better eyes than I do. Maybe my software is just outdated... o_O

L.E.S.~ have you noticed yet that the muzzle break doesn't have the bark and blast like you might expect from a brake?

Yes Sir, I did.

It seems a lot quieter than my .308 700 and I didn't notice much of a flash at all. Can't remember the last time I drove home from the range that happy...

Just added an m1907 sling...

Picked it up unfinished...

After a few coats of medium brown antique finish gel dye and sealant in turned out pretty good...

It needs some time in the sun and a some use to soften up a bit, but I like it a lot so far...

Yes Sir.

I've had a few Checkmate 20 rounders sit'n around for a couple years before I got my hands on the rifle...

I have one more sling on the way... ;)

I can't afford that beautiful leather sling, so I just rock an OD GI cotton version.

Good stuff you've been acquiring my friend!!! I am really proud for you.

So it's been one month since you got your walnut Scout Squad. The more you shoot it the more you will be really happy with your decision.

Would you do anything different if you could go back to a month ago?

L.E.S.~~

As much as I love a great bolt gun or a fantastic AR-platform rifle.... there is simply no comparison to owning an M1A is there?

I can't afford that beautiful leather sling, so I just rock an OD GI cotton version.

Good stuff you've been acquiring my friend!!! I am really proud for you.

Thank you Sir.

I'm quite proud of this one myself. Picked up the sling from Springfield's website for $35, so it wasn't too bad.

ISo it's been one month since you got your walnut Scout Squad. The more you shoot it the more you will be really happy with your decision.
Would you do anything different if you could go back to a month ago?

Go back a month? No Sir, not a thing.

Go back a year or two? I'd have sold my truck to buy the rifle sooner and just rode a bicycle to work...

L.E.S.~~

As much as I love a great bolt gun or a fantastic AR-platform rifle.... there is simply no comparison to owning an M1A is there?

No Sir, none that I've experienced so far.

I'll have a more relevant base for comparison in a few weeks though...

Really, that leather M1907 sling has come down to $35 plus the expense of dye and oil? If I get the juice could I do it for maybe $100?

No Sir, none that I've experienced so far.

I'll have a more relevant base for comparison in a few weeks though...

It'll never be a precision rifle, I know that. You're a bughole shooter, I know that.

But damn it's a sexy beast that gets lots of attention and respect.

I've been out on situations and when the M1A comes out people just say "Damn" or "OMG" versus the appearance of an AR or a GLOCK people just yawn......

I'm intentionally taking some time away from optics on all my rifles.

The bench rigs are put up in the safe for a while and I've been working on proficiency with open sights. The scout is EXACTLY what I needed. You're right about the attention and respect it gets at the range. I was on the line last week and one of the benchrest guys stopped shooting to watch my target as I got it sighted in. I punched that target I posted earlier in the thread and all he said was, "Holy $#!+". He came over to check it out and it sparked a great conversation.

Really, that leather M1907 sling has come down to $35 plus the expense of dye and oil? If I get the juice could I do it for maybe $100?

Absolutely.

The sling was $45 shipped and I picked up the dye, sealant, and weather proofer for $25 at a Tandy Leather store down the block from work. Once the second one arrives I'll dye it in a lighter tan color. I've got enough of the gel dye to do several and would be glad to either dye one for you or send you the dye I'm not using. I have three different colors now...

Back