• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

General consensus about Silver Reserve II

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Curious what the general opinions of the Silver reserve 2 are.

I know the 1's had some issues, but I am asking specifically about the II's.

I was able to check into a Tristar Setter imported from turkey sitting on the shelf at walmart for $357, which looks to be an very close (if not nearly identical) gun to the Gen 2 silver reserves.

I know the MSRP is in the $500's (the Mossberg are over $600 msrp), but the pricetag on the trigger guard said $357 and whether that was mismarked or not, seems like it would be a heckuva deal.

(Walmart website has them listed at $467--) http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tri-Star-TRI-30129-3-Setter-S-T-12-28-CT-3/21584672

Here is an article for the Silver Reserve II. http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/mossberg-silver-reserve-ii-overunder-shotgun-new-gun-review/

Elsewhere, I was even able to find an importers mark of one of the Mossbergs.
Khan Setter Imported by Mossberg.JPG

And here is the importers page for the Tristar Setter
http://www.tristararms.com/products/over-under/setter-st/

Setter S/T
Setter S/T - 3" Chamber 12 ga.

Setter-ST-12ga-e1431450059797.jpg

3” Chamber Over and Under in 12ga and 20ga. The Setter S/T features a solid frame for durability and strength, sealed actions to keep dirt out, self-adjusting locking lugs, top tang barrel selector and safety, and steel mono-block barrel construction and Turkish Walnut with semi-gloss finish. Comes with 5 interchangeable Beretta® Mobile style choke tubes (IC, M, F), choke box and choke wrench. Rubber recoil pad and backed with a five year mechanical warranty.
Features:
• Extractors
• Vent Top and Mid Rib
• Fiber Optic Sight
• Single Selective Trigger
• Chrome-lined Chamber and Barrel
• Engraved Receiver
• Turkish Walnut Stock and Forearm
• High Gloss
• 3 Beretta® Style Choke Tubes (IC, M, F)
Safety: The primary safety is located on the top tang. When engaged, the safety is designed to block the trigger, hammer lever and the hammer which makes the firing mechanism immobile. The safety slides forward and backward (back is safe). When the safety is engaged, the shooter may move it left or right to select which barrel will fire first. Placing the safety switch to the right will fire the top barrel first, to the left will fire the bottom barrel first.
----------------------------

$357 seems to be a damn good price for the Tristar Setter O/U....

Sorry to say I have nothing to add on the Silver Reserve II...except that it's a fine looking field piece.

Quote: The Silver Reserve II Field variant ranges in suggested retail price from $693 to $1,042, depending on features such as gauge, extractors, ejectors and barrel length.

As equipped, my 12-gauge sample, sku# 75435, came with 28-inch vent-rib barrels; full, improved modified, modified, improved cylinder and cylinder choke tubes; plastic choke tube case and wrench; and ejectors. I found this gun listed for $776.

( That's one shotgun I don't own...a good O/U. )

I have nothing to add other than the fact that I am currently in the market for an OU shotgun when I get my income tax check next year (I'm a CPA and file EARLY lol)

Based on my research there are 2 huge considerations with buying an OU:

1) how often do you or will you shoot this gun per year

2) how ornate do you want it

Basically you get what you pay for. MOST OU shotguns in the $300-800 mark will hold up to light recreational use (1,000 rounds per year). When you start putting up 3,000-5,000 rounds through it per year those shotguns tend to fail fairly rapidly.

I've fallen into.... buy once, cry once method for my firearms. Based on my research it seems the Beretta 686/687 series appears to be the best bang for the buck (and easily maintained/less design flaws) for an entry level OU that will most likely outlast us and our children. Unfortunately that buck is in the $2K dollar range.

Browning is also nice, but at the same price point your receiver isn't well decorated and there seems to be a design flaw in the extractors (screws come loose or break after many thousands of rounds).

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

I appreciate the insight.

I don't have to have a very ornate shotgun. Matter of fact, I'm fine with plain.

Engraving doesn't make a gun shoot better. Granted it does make them cost more and may be prettier, but still doesn't make them shoot better.

You can paint a Pinto or Gremlin candy apple red metalflake with white pinstripes and use hi-test gas, but that doesn't make it a sports car.

I'm more concerned about build materials quality. And I can't (or won't) justify spending more than $500 on a double barrel shotgun EVER. I just don't have the desire or need. (Not knocking anyone that does, just I have no need to).

I don't expect that I'll ever be shooting a shotgun a few thousand times a year ever again. Even in my prime, I don't think I was shooting hardly that much even in my younger days.

I just want a decent O/U that I can use on the occasion when I take my boys skeet shooting, perhaps do some squirrel hunting or turkey hunting with.

Sadly, we don't have the grouse and pheasant numbers that we had when I was growing up and to me, that's where a good O/U shines, but perhaps someday.

With the Tristar Setter being made in Turkey, as is the Silver Reserve 2, and both being the same overall specs and look, makes me think that these are likely the same guns, under a different importers mark.

I'm pretty sure my wife put it in lay-away.

This is probably along the lines of the type of shooting the gun will be seeing the most often.

Very cool. Go for it.

I'm pretty much diving into skeet and pistol competitions next year. There's a skeet range about 4 miles from my apartment so I'll be putting in some time until I can hit 20+ a game, then I'll look into local comps for skeet.

I'll probably need something that can take a good amount of rounds through it so I'm leaning Beretta in my travels.

My 1911 is still on hold until this deadbeat client pays my firm. Then I'll collect my final finders fee from them and place the order. I'll be competing in a different class in IDPA in 2016 as well.

Very cool. Good luck in your competitions.

Around here, we just go outside and shoot until we're tired and for bragging rights.

I have a Silver Reserve II, had it for two months. Mine is the super sport, 32" barrel. I am new to shot gunning, however I really like it. Less recoil than I thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for the reply.

I am glad you like it.

I looked around at some of the other shotgun forums, and there is a lot of snobbery going on if the gun doesn't cost more than the truck I drive, so hearing that the silver reserve is working well for you is good news.

Thank you for the reply.

I am glad you like it.

I looked around at some of the other shotgun forums, and there is a lot of snobbery going on if the gun doesn't cost more than the truck I drive, so hearing that the silver reserve is working well for you is good news.

A lot of those snooty people don't even shoot as much as they post.

I really hate that.

I looked around at some of the other shotgun forums, and there is a lot of snobbery going on if the gun doesn't cost more than the truck I drive

And I haven't met a shotgun that I could break more clay than not. The cylinder bore is challenging but if your fast doable. Every other shotgun with at least an improved is good for me. I don't do competitions but have and do fine with cheaper. Grew up as a kid doing it as the community, pop.450, would get together and have a shoot a month. During all the eating holidays you would shoot for hams and turkeys as the prizes

My Grandpa was a competitive clay guy and did all kinds in a club that would travel the ranges in California for comps. He has some wicked over unders, like you said as much as a vehicle is no joke.

early on I would go to his range a lot with him and he would give me a 16ga single shot full choke and I would whoop on about half the adults and get respectable scores in trap

when I moved to multi's he gave me a Sears and Roebuck Ted Williams(Winchester) semi 12ga with a poly choke and I would burn them down most days. I could never out shoot him or a lot of other hardcore dudes but that wasn't the gun. When he died my Grandma sold all the over unders for a mint

But nothing really swings as good as a tuned clay gun....

I have no doubt that a tuned gun would be better in ways.

I just want something that shoots well enough to have some fun with, and perhaps put some food on the table.

Cool that you have those memories with your Grandpa. Sounds like you two had a lot of fun together.

As for different chokes, I've always like a modified choke for most of the work I do. Though I admit, I haven't shot at many skeet. Just fast moving fur and feathers.

Back