• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Coyote Hunting

A guy on another forum just bought this one as well. I'm going to see how he likes it before I jump on it. If it works well, it's a hell of a deal over a Foxpro which I regard as top of the line.

I would look into a decoy as well. I think when they see the decoy they are a lot less cautious.

p876455073-4.jpg

Called this one in for my buddy today and he tagged him out at 87 yards in thick hardwoods. Great day of hunting.

It had a great coat given how cold it has been in recent weeks here.

Re: Who here hunts coyote?

I have hunted varmints and enjoy it.

Last night just after dusk, a train went by and my wife and I heard several of them across the creek just behind the tree line howling when the train blew its' horn. I could easily pick out 3-4 different ones. My wife was surprised at how close to the house they were and how many of them there were in such close proximity of each other and I explained to her that they would hunt in packs. So she wants the kids to play closer to the house and I have a free pass for a while to do some callin' : )

They can have litters of a dozen at a time, and it takes a lot to sustain that many predators, so if you get a chance to drop one, please do everyone a favor and do it. They'll destroy turkey and deer and grouse populations as well as plenty of other things.

Last year I built a 5.56/223 AR15 expressly for varmint hunting.

trailcam52311061.jpg

This one looks like a coydog.

I've seen more than one documentary on it, and the scientists swear that is rare to impossible, and they also say the pack never accepts them blah blah blah.

But stranger things have happened around here.

I've seen more than one documentary on it, and the scientists swear that is rare to impossible, and they also say the pack never accepts them blah blah blah.

But stranger things have happened around here.

I have seen them in Iowa. I just read an article on them and dogs do mate with coyotes . But they are not accepted by the pack and receive no support from the pack so that particular family group dies off in a couple seasons. Also, coydogs are not aggressive pack hunters so they are not able to effectively hunt enough to survive. It is mentioned in a book I was looking at on Amazon.

I hunt them in Iowa. Most of the guys I hunt with use 17 wmr, ruger 204, ARs and I use a Remington 243. We use camo, but if we just happen to be out scouting we are in blue jeans and shirts. Buddy usually takes his Remington shotgun loaded with varmint load which I think is #4 and a varmint choke, for when they come in close. We are using my Primos dog catcher caller. Hope this helps.

Well this probably isn't the best place to start, but i hope the mods will forgive me here. I have been predator hunting for a very long time and gave up deer and elk because where i live i do run across deer and elk, (mostly fawns and calves) at least once or more a season killed and sometimes half eaten alive from predators such as you saw in the above photos. We are overrun in this area with black bears that range from 300-350+ lbs and almost every winter mountain lions are killed here in town. You can add to that coyotes which hunt here in town all year and now a large surplus of wolves because of three counties on the "left" side of the state.

The coyotes here have gained their P.H.D's on staying alive by the end of the first season or they are dead, it's one or the other. As has been written by others here, predator hunting will make you a better hunter for any other type of hunting you try. Those coyotes you see while driving around are a lot smarter than you may think, you may get lucky at first but you will end up working for most of them and that will make you better at all your hunting.

Another thing to consider is that when you ring that dinner bell to those predators you are calling ALL the types of predators that live in your area, if you have 300 lb bears or 150-200 lb moutain lions or 150 lb wolves it would be very good idea to have enough rifle and sidearm to protect yourself. One of the first rules of predator hunting, (here) is always have something at your back,( tree, bush etc.) so you can't be taken from behind. Predators will always try to wind you and flank you from behind, it's the difference between staying alive and being something elses dinner for them. And last but not least, if you have large or pack predators in your area, they are hunting you just as you are hunting them.

Well this probably isn't the best place to start, but i hope the mods will forgive me here. I have been predator hunting for a very long time and gave up deer and elk because where i live i do run across deer and elk, (mostly fawns and calves) at least once or more a season killed and sometimes half eaten alive from predators such as you saw in the above photos. We are overrun in this area with black bears that range from 300-350+ lbs and almost every winter mountain lions are killed here in town. You can add to that coyotes which hunt here in town all year and now a large surplus of wolves because of three counties on the "left" side of the state.

The coyotes here have gained their P.H.D's on staying alive by the end of the first season or they are dead, it's one or the other. As has been written by others here, predator hunting will make you a better hunter for any other type of hunting you try. Those coyotes you see while driving around are a lot smarter than you may think, you may get lucky at first but you will end up working for most of them and that will make you better at all your hunting.

Another thing to consider is that when you ring that dinner bell to those predators you are calling ALL the types of predators that live in your area, if you have 300 lb bears or 150-200 lb moutain lions or 150 lb wolves it would be very good idea to have enough rifle and sidearm to protect yourself. One of the first rules of predator hunting, (here) is always have something at your back,( tree, bush etc.) so you can't be taken from behind. Predators will always try to wind you and flank you from behind, it's the difference between staying alive and being something elses dinner for them. And last but not least, if you have large or pack predators in your area, they are hunting you just as you are hunting them.

Good points!

I've had a black bear do me that way just last fall.

Around here we call fall the "fall feeding frenzy" since all the bears are putting as much weight as possible to lay up for winter. I had a run in with a bear during fall as well, wasn't my most fun day since the only gun i had with me was a .223 ar15. Now it's .308 with .45acp or 20ga with .45acp. If i even go for a short hike it's .45acp.

I've been carrying a 44 magnum Virginian Dragoon. 8.75" barrel.

My boys have knick-named it "Bear-B-Gone".

I carry a .357 revolver in the bear woods, only because I no longer have a .44 (I do have a single shot but it's not easy to carry in a holster LOL)

I live in Mesquite, Tx and am having the hardest time finding a place to go varmint hunting. None of my friends hunt. But i damn sure have EVERYTHING to do it with. LOL
Lights, calls (ecall and mouth calls), lights, mossy .223, maverick 88.
Never thought it would be this tough when i bought everything. Lol

Any kind of hunting is challenging.

Varmint hunting is extremely challenging. They're smart.

Very smart.

And they have better sense of smell, vision, and hearing than you do too.

trailcam%2011182015%20100_zpskhzjb1k0.jpg

I live in Mesquite, Tx and am having the hardest time finding a place to go varmint hunting. None of my friends hunt. But i damn sure have EVERYTHING to do it with. LOL
Lights, calls (ecall and mouth calls), lights, mossy .223, maverick 88.
Never thought it would be this tough when i bought everything. Lol

What do you keep loaded in the 88 for coyotes?

Any kind of hunting is challenging.

Varmint hunting is extremely challenging. They're smart.

Very smart.

And they have better sense of smell, vision, and hearing than you do too.

trailcam%2011182015%20100_zpskhzjb1k0.jpg

Id be calling that a predator....... looks like its about to pounce on a varmint though. :)

He was looking toward where our range is.

Back