• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SHOTGUN: Holographic/Red Dot Sight Options

First time I have seen one of those mounted.

Looks tiny.

It's small and light. Can barely tell the difference in weight between the addition of the aluminum picatinny rail and the optic. Brand new model with no reviews I can find, a lower priced option to their upper level "Razor" model, I think. Hoping it'll hold up to the slugs I'm going to feed it. Really like the Strikefire I have on my JR Carbine, don't foresee any problems with this Vortex product.

Here's the Vortex advert on the Venom, March 2015:

the sight will hold up to the recoil, but those style sights don't put up with being banged around

I had a similar sight in a Burris picatinny Protector mount and it did a good job at protecting it but it was still vulnerable , that style dot is the most delicate design of all the designs.

I don't know about you guys, but I absolutely hate battery powered sights. It's just a pet peeve with me. I run a Primary Arms Red Dot (AimPoint clone) on my mossy 500 right now. But I am about to purchase their Primary Arms Advanced Micro Red Dot, MD-ADS. This sucker is rated at 50K hours of battery life set to medium brightness. That's 5.7 years without ever having to turn it off, and for me, that's a really big deal. At $169.99 there's no way to beat that. If you are interested in a Micro Red Dot, check this one out. I'm going buy at least two. Yes it's another AimPoint clone, but to save several hundred bucks and still have 50K hours of battery life, I'm all in. Almost forgot, it has a Lifetime warranty also.

XPAMDADSX.jpg

Last edited:
What would be nice is if manufacturers would do like they do with their illuminated scopes and put a 1moa black dot in there for when it's powered down, or in the event your battery dies.

Great find dwb!!! I am also now looking to get one for my 590a1. I also like that it is low profile.

Thanks
They are kind of hard to find in stock right now, but some places do have them. I think it's a no brainer, must get one or two.

What would be nice is if manufacturers would do like they do with their illuminated scopes and put a 1moa black dot in there for when it's powered down, or in the event your battery dies.
If you are referring to the PA MD-ADS, it has a 2 MOA dot, plenty small, and the battery is 50000 hours. No need for an etched black dot reticle when you can just leave it turned on 24/7 365 for 5 years, then change the battery. But, I know what you mean, I love my 1-4X24 on my AR with circle dot etched reticle, but with that kind of battery life, there's no need. This thing is a poor mans AimPoint.

Nice, let us know how it holds up for sure.
Not sure how soon I will be getting it, but once it happens I will be running some 3 inch magnum slugs to see how it holds up. The PA red dot I have on it now is tough as nails, so I expect this one to be as good. I'm just excited about having a Red Dot that you NEVER have to turn on/off. Turn it on and forget about it for 5 years. That's my kind of sight.

Not sure how soon I will be getting it, but once it happens I will be running some 3 inch magnum slugs to see how it holds up. The PA red dot I have on it now is tough as nails, so I expect this one to be as good. I'm just excited about having a Red Dot that you NEVER have to turn on/off. Turn it on and forget about it for 5 years. That's my kind of sight.
Yep did that with my Aimpoint, it is nice for sure, just grab and go.

Yep did that with my Aimpoint, it is nice for sure, just grab and go.
I copy that, but the expense of an AimPoint for my shotgun is not justifiable. If I had the extra cash, hell yes, in a heartbeat. Other than an etched reticle sight, the AimPoint is the only way to go.

Ok dudes, the Primary Arms Micro Red Dot MD-ADS is on the way. It will arrive on Monday 3-21. I will get it mounted, then take it to the range on Saturday. As soon as I have some results I will let you guys know. I will include pics. Wow, 50,000 hours without ever turning it off, that is awesome.

Congrats, can't wait for the review. It seems like the scope can not be kept in stock. Every retailer sells out in a day or two after restocking.

Reactions: dwb
I got the PA Micro Red Dot installed and zeroed at 50 yards, running Winchester Super-X 3 inch rifled slugs. Check out the contrast between the slugs and the .22 pistol rounds from my Ruger SR22, that's sick. I have to say I am very impressed with this micro red dot. Love the idea of turning it on, and forget about it for 5 years. The recoil from the magnum slugs had no effect on the optic what so ever. The controls are very tactile and the 2 MOA dot is super crisp. The photo quality is not the best, but you get the idea.

IMG_2080.JPG

IMG_2081.JPG

IMG_2111.JPG

IMG_2114.JPG

IMG_2113.JPG

I'll be watching this for the extended use review. From what I've read many of the lower tier Micro Red Dots tend to deteriorate faster than the named brands like Eotech and Aimpoint. if PA is the exception to that rule I'd like to know.

LOL... is PA really that good? I don't do red dots for any other reason that I'd rather spend the money on ammo at this point.
at this point everyone but you knows lol......welcome to 5 years ago

the other one to really look at is HoloSun.....50,000hrs, solar/battery , 458 Winchester recoil rated

Back