• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My 835.....

mic214

I have posted a pic of my 835 in the "New member introduction" section, but I thought I would add a few more photos of it here.

As I mentioned before, this one was a "Slugster" model that I got off one of the gun auctions sites for $200.00. It came with a 24" smoothbore barrel that has rifle sights. I had an 18-1/2" cylinder bore barrel and mag extension from a previous conversion I had done on an 835:

Before:

After:

This is the first 835 that I had. It came with a 26" vent rib barrel. I used it for duck and goose hunting. Later on I converted it to HD use with the shorter barrel, ribbed fore end and mag extension. I had traded this off for a S&W Model 64 revolver that I just had to have.....:

Before:

After:

Last edited:
Wow, I like those a lot! If you get a chance and if you have any thing in the way of info on choke tubes and patterns, stop in that thread and add whatever you're able!

Wow, I like those a lot! If you get a chance and if you have any thing in the way of info on choke tubes and patterns, stop in that thread and add whatever you're able!

Neither barrel I currently have are threaded for chokes. But when I get a longer hunting barrel I will be in the market for some choke tubes to use with buckshot and/or BB shot for coyote hunting. I will definitely be doing a lot of reading on this site to get ideas on what would work the best.

Neither barrel I currently have are threaded for chokes. But when I get a longer hunting barrel I will be in the market for some choke tubes to use with buckshot and/or BB shot for coyote hunting. I will definitely be doing a lot of reading on this site to get ideas on what would work the best.

I've had a hard time finding anything to work decently with buckshot. The best I've been able to do is with a 3" shell of #4 buck but it's not good enough that it's my primary load. My best patterns (and what I've used for smaller predators) are with heavy weight B which isn't made anymore. Winchester is making a VarmintX shotgun load now, 3" BB using the resin ShotLok like their LongBeard turkey load. My patterns with that haven't been awesome but I've done little experimenting with it so far.

I've read a lot about long shots past 50 and 60 yards with a shotgun but there's little in the way of proof or patterns and certainly no singular magical combination to produce anything reliable.

I have been looking at one of the predator forums and that is where I got the info about the #4 buck and the BB shot. I have read that some hunters have had success with Winchester's Long Beard Turkey loads. For the terrain where I will be hunting coyotes, there is lots of brush and cedar trees, so the close in shots will be about 40 yards or so.

Most of the coyote hunters on the other forum that are using Mossbergs are using the turkey models with the 24" barrels......

Is it on PredatorMasters? I've read some saying the turkey loads, or #2s being ok to about 35 yards. I've had excellent patterns from the Winchester LongBeard but I'm not sure I'd trust it if there's something heavier.

My longest shot has been about 45 yards on a fox with the heavy B. Like I said though it's not being made anymore so for that reason alone I want to start reloading my own stuff.

Is it on PredatorMasters? I've read some saying the turkey loads, or #2s being ok to about 35 yards. I've had excellent patterns from the Winchester LongBeard but I'm not sure I'd trust it if there's something heavier.

My longest shot has been about 45 yards on a fox with the heavy B. Like I said though it's not being made anymore so for that reason alone I want to start reloading my own stuff.

Yep, that's the site. I originally went there for coyote rifle info and became really interested on the use of shotguns for close in work. I ended up getting a Ruger American Predator rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I thought that and my 835 with a hunting barrel would make a great combo....:)

I've read all 90 pages of the shotgun pattern thread. I've posted the little bit I could that I thought might be worth anything.

I added a Savage .223 HogHunter to compliment my 835. :)

That Savage .223 Hog Hunter and 835 sounds like the perfect combo:)!

Im hoping so but since I added the Savage, I've had little need come up for it. Most of what I do is really close.

We gave our son in law a Savage Hog Hunter in .223 and he loves it. I just got my Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor and haven't had a chance to get it out to the range yet due to the winter weather.

I'm partial to the wood hardware but a nice gun nonetheless.

And my 835 as well has plastic/polymer hardware. ;-D

I have just read the entire 90 page shotgun choke/patterning thread over at PredatorMasters.....whew!

I am now thinking that having my "Slugster" barrel threaded for chokes would be a good (And inexpensive) way to go and then finding the appropriate choke(s) for it.... I would like to be able to find chokes suitable for coyote hunting and also get another choke that would allow me to still shoot slugs though this barrel when I wanted to.....

Is the slugster barrel rifled?

Nope. it's a smoothbore. From what I have read, the 24" barrel length is very popular and easy to pack around. I have a Voodoo Tactical scabbard that I could throw on my back and carry the 835 in.

Oh cool, that could work very well! A couple companies make chokes for slugs. But I think improved or modified chokes are ok with slugs. That's not really my thing so don't quote me on that.

Is the slugster the smothbore with cantilever scope mount? I have one as well and was also thinking of getting choke tubes installed. I had Rose Action Sports machine a 18.5" security barrel for Mossberg chokes a while back and they did a good job.

No, mine is an older smooth bore "Slugster" barrel with a simple set of rifle sights. The rear sight is a plain folding one. My receiver is not drilled and tapped either.

Back