• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Differences Between Maverick 88 and Mossberg 500?

Re: Mossberg 500 or Maverick 88 Pump Action?

The only functional (as far as manipulation and operation are concerned) difference is the safety location.

Depends on the age of the gun,
For example
Older 88's have a single action bar,
Some 88's have a slide action as one piece with the forend (Some NEW 500's have this one piece forend)
Sonme older 88's have the safety on the reciever like the 500/590/835
No 500/590's have the safety on the trigger pack(unless its a home built gun)

For the most part its the safety location, and the action slide, all other parts are interchangable
I understand the reciever and bbls of the 88 are made in mexico and and the 500 parts all all american made.
Not sure about the internials.
THe Bbls on all 88's anf 500's I have ever seen are identicle.

If like me the reason you are drawn to the 500/590 because of the safety location then a 88 may not be your choice,
However if your a Mossberg fan(well your here arnt ya!) and you might want a pistol grip or a collapsable/folding stock the 500 safety is hard to engage and the 88's still usable.

That and about $50.00 bucks difference used and about $ 90.00 new.

Just my opinion.

Steve

need some info

I am thinking of buying a Mavrick 88 pump for my wife and I would like some information on the gun.
I hear the its lite and easy to carry, but how is the recoil when shoting target loads?
Is it as dependable as the mossberg 500, I know the 500 barrels fit the Mavrick so that gives the gun some flexability. What does it take to give it the ability to shoot slugs? Is a different barrel necessary?
Chokes, does the Mavrick have the ability to change chokes? I assume it uses mossberg chokes sense the barrels are the same.
And last, price. A local Wal-Mart has it for $177.00, thought that was a good deal, am I right.
Thanks in advance for all your input.
Valkyrie

Re: need some info

Practical difference is the position of the safety. Same uses as moss 500. Also comes in 20 gauge if you can find one. Kicks like any pump, don't forget the eye and ear protection.

For 177 bucks it is a great deal for a partially made in the USA gun.

Both Mossberg and Maverick have websites with much info.

Re: need some info

Maverick 88 is a good pick for an inexpensive reliable shotgun. I shot about 100 rounds through it recently. Buck shot and slugs. Pretty accurate gun with bead site and standard stock. Very light weight fully loaded in comparison to my 590. Paid about $200 new. I'd buy another.

The safety location and the action slide as far as I know. I bought mine specifically because of the safety location to add a pistol grip Knoxx Recoil Stock. I kept the standard speed stock on my 590.

I like the safety on the 88 in front of the trigger. Most fore-ends or fore-arms on the 88 are not easily changed. Stock and barrels from the 500 will work on the 88. You cannot extend the magazine on the 88. That's about it for my limited knowledge. I have an 88 I replaced the stock and barrel. Will put up some pic soon.

until recently, assembly location was also different. Mossbergs being assembled in Connecticut and Mavericks being assembled in Texas.
Ive heard rumors that all are being assembled in Texas now with components of both being made in Mexico.

My Maverick 88 (about a year old) has a plastic trigger housing. Do the newer 500's have a plastic trigger housing as well?

There is also the fact that the 500 has screws on the top of the trigger housing and the maverick doesn't

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk now Free

rashad said:
There is also the fact that the 500 has screws on the top of the trigger housing and the maverick doesn't

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk now Free

That is correct,the mav 88 receiver is not drilled and tapped for mounts. Also the earlier 500's aren't either. Currant 500's are.

I noticed a difference in recoil. I have a Maverick 88 and a Mossberg 500 with the pachmayr recoil pad. The hard "door stop" like rubber pad on my 88 hurts a little with some heavier loads and shooting 3 inch magnum slugs is like being in a car accident. The softer pachmayr pad on my 500 is much more pleasant to shoot and I feel like I have a little more control over the heavier stuff. Of course, and someone else may agree, there are other factors in that equation. The weight and balance of the two guns is slightly different, as well as the length of the stocks or (length of pull) my 500 has a 13" LOP and the 88- 14". I've heard that LOP makes a big difference. Just my personal opinion- I wouldn't rely on a pistol grip only for home defense. Different 500's come with different recoil pads and I've seen other 88's either earlier or later than mine with different pads as well. I shoot often, I shoot trap and sporting clays for fun, and practice on paper targets with buck and slugs so that I'm used to the recoil, and so I can be proficient with it should I ever need to use it. I would say to any one who's wondering what gun, configuration, and ammunition to get, get out there and shoot. Use or borrow a friends, rent one you think you might like, etc. find out through fun experience what works and feels best for you. I can't think of a better way to spend a weekend afternoon.

until recently, assembly location was also different. Mossbergs being assembled in Connecticut and Mavericks being assembled in Texas.
Ive heard rumors that all are being assembled in Texas now with components of both being made in Mexico.
That would be true. Mossberg's Maverick is an attempt to say "Made in The USA" when, in fact, the Maverick is "assembled in the USA" (north of the Rio Grande) of many Mexican-made components .

If you've ever been to Eagle Pass, TX there's not much difference compared to the other side of the river...

If you've ever been to Eagle Pass, TX there's not much difference compared to the other side of the river...
Never been that south, but Mossberg, North Haven, Connecticut is 40 minutes from me. Think they have about 300 employees. Been banging it out for about 100 years in Connecticut.

There's a huge difference between the 2 sides of the river...........just ask that Marine sitting in jail in Mexico...............

I noticed a difference in recoil. I have a Maverick 88 and a Mossberg 500 with the pachmayr recoil pad. The hard "door stop" like rubber pad on my 88 hurts a little with some heavier loads and shooting 3 inch magnum slugs is like being in a car accident. The softer pachmayr pad on my 500 is much more pleasant to shoot and I feel like I have a little more control over the heavier stuff. Of course, and someone else may agree, there are other factors in that equation. The weight and balance of the two guns is slightly different, as well as the length of the stocks or (length of pull) my 500 has a 13" LOP and the 88- 14". I've heard that LOP makes a big difference. Just my personal opinion- I wouldn't rely on a pistol grip only for home defense. Different 500's come with different recoil pads and I've seen other 88's either earlier or later than mine with different pads as well. I shoot often, I shoot trap and sporting clays for fun, and practice on paper targets with buck and slugs so that I'm used to the recoil, and so I can be proficient with it should I ever need to use it. I would say to any one who's wondering what gun, configuration, and ammunition to get, get out there and shoot. Use or borrow a friends, rent one you think you might like, etc. find out through fun experience what works and feels best for you. I can't think of a better way to spend a weekend afternoon.

In case anyone is reading this post, I just got my new Maverick 12 ga and it has a nice honeycomb recoil pad. I have not shot it yet but it looks like it will be better than a solid rubber pad. It is a bit thicker, jdging by the pictures, than the solid rubber. I noticed it is a little long for my and that is unusual on a stock shotgun.

2/19/17 I have shot this shotgun a lot by now and I love it. I was not sure I wanted to go back to using a 12 but I ma glad I got it. It is a long haul shooter and the recoil is soft.

Last edited:
so the action is the same in the 88 and 500 models? i'm just wondering because my 88 has hung up on me two or three times, but i've not put more than 100 shells through it either.

Back