• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 Shockwave, 1st impressions

If I decide to have a "rock-n-roll" time like Forrest, and fire this "little stogie" 25 times, will the heat shield eliminate all the problems of handling and reloading?

I ordered the Mossberg heat shield for the 590A1 with the heavy barrel (part #16335P, $30 plus shipping.) to give it a shot. Mossberg also sent the nuts, screws and spacer (not used) with the heat shield. I have the Big Dot installed and the heat shield needs to slide down the barrel to go on. I cut a slot for the Big Dot. It is long enough for the heat shield to fit over the Big Dot when the front restriction is at the muzzle. I rounded all the corners of the slot. This way I just place the heat shield on the barrel and slide it to the rear in place. I also had to reduce the rear corner of the screw hole plate so it would clear the magazine cap. The heat shield is long enough to fit flush with the end of the muzzle. I used Brownell's Dicropan T-4 Touch Up Cream to blacken the bright steel areas from the cutting and filing. To remove the barrel just unscrew the magazine cap while sliding the barrel forward at the same time. To install the barrel place the magazine cap in place with the barrel forward and move the barrel to the rear while turning the magazine cap into position. The Big Dot clears the heat shield so it can still be used if needed. The stud sticking up in the rear heat shield photo and the full Shockwave photo is part of a C clamp I used to install the heat shield. There may be a problem with the heat shield shifting under recoil and trying to come off the barrel. I'll have to try loc-tite under the front band if that happens

100_0359 (Small).JPG 100_0356 (Small).JPG 100_0356 (Small).JPG 100_0359 (Small).JPG 100_0360 (Small).JPG 100_0361 (Small).JPG 100_0364 (Small).JPG 100_0365 (Small).JPG 100_0362 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
Congratulations on the heat shield. You obviously put a lot of thought and time into it.
I like the way you went to the end of the barrel. That looks real good. The Aimpro Tactical stops a lot behind the front bead.
Give us another report as soon as you shoot it.

Last edited:
How is it secured at the back end, next to the receiver?

The heat shield has the standard rear. There is a loop of metal that has the bottom part of the loop removed so you have two fingers that go around the barrel with a cutout to fit over the magazine loop on the barrel. Using the Mossberg heavy barrel heat shield gives you the correct diameters at both the front and rear of the shield so you don't have to "modify" it to fit. Just by chance the length was a good fit. At a cost of about $36 ($30 plus shipping) it was an easy choice to see if it might work (and it did).

Yes. Mossberg was the only place I found that had the 16335P heavy barrel heat shield and they had the best price. Very fast shipping. They had 74 in stock after I ordered mine last week.

I know the shield will work and I like the look. It's reminiscent of the old trench guns. The only concern I have is will the shield stay in place when I shoot the gun? It might migrate forward under the recoil. Normally the heat shield is in back of the magazine loop on the barrel and the spacer keeps the shield in place under recoil. Since the mounting screws are in front of the magazine loop there is no device to hold the shield in place. I may have to use blue or red loc-tite to help hold the shield in place. I really want to keep the ability to remove the shield, if I have to. That's why I have not considered JB Weld.

That explains why Aimpro Tactical mounts theirs more rearward. They drill and tap the magazine loop and screw the heat shield mount there. This method is more efficient, but does not look as good as yours. The shield looks great mounted to the end of the barrel. Ideally, it would be nice to have the heat shield mount brazed back a little and screw it into the magazine tube. This is one other example of where the aftermarket companies should pay attention.

AimPoint Tactical2.jpg

Last edited:
Rico, thanks for the photo of the AimPro heat shield. I decided to use blue loktite on the heat shield at the front band. I cleaned the barrel and band on the heat shield with iso-propyl alcohol and then added the blue loktite. I cranked down on the screws. It should be alright. The parkerized surface of the inside of the front band of the shield and the finish on the Shockwave's barrel are not shiny and should grip each other well. The loktite is added insurance. It will be a while before I get to shoot the gun but I'll keep you informed of what happens.

I have nothing against the AimPro heat shield. It is a quality product, as are all of AimPro's offerings. I just couldn't handle the $167 plus sending the barrel to AimPro for 2 weeks for installation. I decided to try the Mossberg heat shield to see if it would work and it did. I also like that the heat shield goes all the way to the muzzle.

Actually, the Big Dot sits higher than the original bead so this would lower the point of impact of the shot. That would help with or without the heat shield.

I ordered the Mossberg heat shield for the 590A1 with the heavy barrel (part #16335P, $30 plus shipping.) to give it a shot. Mossberg also sent the nuts, screws and spacer (not used) with the heat shield. I have the Big Dot installed and the heat shield needs to slide down the barrel to go on. I cut a slot for the Big Dot. It is long enough for the heat shield to fit over the Big Dot when the front restriction is at the muzzle. I rounded all the corners of the slot. This way I just place the heat shield on the barrel and slide it to the rear in place. I also had to reduce the rear corner of the screw hole plate so it would clear the magazine cap. The heat shield is long enough to fit flush with the end of the muzzle. I used Brownell's Dicropan T-4 Touch Up Cream to blacken the bright steel areas from the cutting and filing. To remove the barrel just unscrew the magazine cap while sliding the barrel forward at the same time. To install the barrel place the magazine cap in place with the barrel forward and move the barrel to the rear while turning the magazine cap into position. The Big Dot clears the heat shield so it can still be used if needed. The stud sticking up in the rear heat shield photo and the full Shockwave photo is part of a C clamp I used to install the heat shield. There may be a problem with the heat shield shifting under recoil and trying to come off the barrel. I'll have to try loc-tite under the front band if that happens

View attachment 15793 View attachment 15792 View attachment 15792 View attachment 15793 View attachment 15794 View attachment 15795 View attachment 15796 View attachment 15797 View attachment 15798

I've been thinking (sometimes causes problems) and I have a radical cure if the heat shield moves forward under recoil. Look at the last photo (post #63 above, photo #9 from the top) and note that there is a small curved section section along the barrel just above the screws. I'm thinking that the curve on both sides could be drilled and tapped into the barrel wall for two screws (one on each side) to hold the heat shield in place. I checked the bead hole and it is drilled completely through the barrel wall and the bead is brass. The screws would be steel and flush with the inside barrel wall.

Thoughts? Good or bad?

I think that should be done by a qualified machinist.
If you are willing to go to a machinist, I think a better plan could be developed, like moving the shield hanger back to the ammo tube hanger and drill and tap that (like Aimpro did).
I don't put much faith in my ability to drill and tap what you are thinking, but you may be more qualified than me.

View attachment 15793 View attachment 15792 View attachment 15792 View attachment 15793 View attachment 15794 View attachment 15795 View attachment 15796 View attachment 15797 View attachment 15798

I had a chance to fire the Shockwave with the heat shield today. The heat shield did not move at all. I fired 15 rounds of slugs and then 5 rounds of Federal 4 Buck (27 pellets) within just a few minutes. Again, the heat shield did not move. Not even a little bit. I used a coating of blue loktite under the front mounting band of the heat shield and tightened the mounting screws very tightly. I did not fire the gun without the loktite but I just went ahead and coated the mounting band. It looks like I won't need to drill and tap the barrel which I only would do if absolutely needed. The shield was just a little warm after the 20 rounds and the barrel was hot. I had fired a few rounds of 00 buck and 4 buck just before when I patterned the rounds. I'll post some photos in a day or so.

Did the shield do it's job?....meaning were you able to reload, holding the shield, without any discomfort to your hand?

The heat shield worked perfectly. It did not move on the barrel. After about 20 rapid rounds, the shield was just a little warm. The barrel was hot. It was no where near hot and easy to grip upside down. I highly recommend one. Besides it looks good.

Back