• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Any comments on polymer tactical heat shields?

hdjkstr25

Copper BB
Wondering if there are any pros or cons on the polymer( plastic) heat shields for 18.5 / 20"
Mossy 500 barrels? They seem to have mostly good reviews? Help please my Mossy brothers. Thanks

Hello. Welcome to the great Mossberg Forum

A question: Are you considering a heat shield only for cosmetic purposes, or are you gonna run your shotgun really hard in real life?

I have never met a shotgunner who benefitted from a heat shield. But they do look kewl as hell.

A question: Are you considering a heat shield only for cosmetic purposes, or are you gonna run your shotgun really hard in real life?

I have never met a shotgunner who benefitted from a heat shield. But they do look kewl as hell.
Only for looks on resale. I have a few I want to make tactical to sell, but not sure on the hottest setup that is most popular . Thanks

Well then, my next question is...

Are you going to re-sell to knowledgeable buyers or to idiots?

I'm serious. People who know their stuff when it comes to shotguns, or airsoft dudes?

On Gun Broker you dont pick your buyers! I’m trying to sell the most popular setup for the most $ in resale . Lol

My 2 cents, don't waste your time or money trying to list anything as tactical or custom.

People who are going to be interested in the gun in the first place are going to want a clean slate. If they want to junk up a gun, they can do it on their own dime using parts that they think are the best.

Not based on what the seller thinks looks best on the gun.

Many people will strip a gun down to the basic model and sell the aftermarket parts separately, otherwise you'll probably never see a positive return on what you have invested.

Wellll..it is nice when you flip it over to load at the range with no gloves. :D

On a hot Texas summer day shooting, you will wish you had one after as little as one box. And I flip mine over. Heatshields weren't invented to look cool. They tend to do what they advertise. If they didn't, they wouldn't be so common on guns.

The John Masen type polymer shield works fine. It's heat resistant, it's lighter than steel, it works. But you can't beat the snot out of a democrat with one like you can the Mossberg manufactered part.

I have one plain Jane 500 and one"tactical" with polymer heat shield. The heat shield does help, but not a necessity. On a side note, the heat shield will cover your bead sight.

I have one on an h&r pardner I got in a trade. It's OK makes it look tougher but honestly has it was mentioned before don't go crazy adding parts to a shotgun selling it has anything more then what it is. When I purchase a gun used new or other wise I do not look for which has the most aftermarket parts on it I try to find the one most complete. I had to repair the h&r and I chose to utilize upgraded parts for function rather than aesthetics.

No pros, all cons. The barrel will never ever ever get hot enough to justify having one. It'll probably fit a little jinky and it's just added weight.
Some crowds might say it looks cool, so that's a pro. If you showed up with it on a hunt of some sort that crowed might roll their eyes at you so that's a con.
If you haven't done it already, switching out the trigger spring so it has a lighter pull would be a better investment. That and a snice swivel and sling set up. The kind that you can use to stable your shot with. Not the big loopey kind that doubles as a bandolier.
Just my half cent.

If you're trying to make money best way is to spend as little as possible. So buy a gun, invest nothing, then sell for higher.

Not necessarily. I have seen plastic AR handguards catch fire. Can't recall ever seeing a plastic heatshield do the same.

You're talking about plastic shields on AR's etc not melting? I guess because the heat shields aren't directly touching the barrels I guess.
Either way, 6-8 slow shots from a shotgun isn't going to get hot enough to burn anything.

Last edited:
maxresdefault.jpg

6-8 shots, you're right. Is not going to melt anything.

Shoot a lot, on a hot day in the south, the pump barrel can get very hot.

What they said. ^^^^ Don't expect to make money modding guns for resale. Many people would rather customize to their own tastes.

If you buy a gun right and have some accessories (like a heat shield) that you don't have a lot of money into, MAYBE you can make a few bucks selling the gun/accessories together. But as a business model I don't think it would work unless you also have an FFL and/or have a table at a gunshow.

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

maxresdefault.jpg

6-8 shots, you're right. Is not going to melt anything.

Shoot a lot, on a hot day in the south, the pump barrel can get very hot.

I am sure this was not "normal use" - My AR15 has a plastic handguard, and after hundreds of rounds in a 20 minute period, its still cool enough to handle with no gloves. And no melting. Mine doesn't have the steel insert in it either.

Back