• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Practical Rifle Course 1 - Review

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
Took the MDTS all day rifle course on Sunday 4/29/18. Overall had a great time and was accompanied by 14 safe shooters who had good fundamentals out the gate.

Showed up around 830am in the rain as the MDTS team set up for the day

41814519021_165ff7546a_b.jpg

Purpose built my rifle with the asst instructor Rob from the ground up with his input on features of a personal defensive rifle. The result was this almost beautiful rifle... but NY SAFE act screwed it over with crappy ergonomics. Chris Fry (head instructor and owner of MDTS) used my rifle in a few demos calling it a space gun. LOL well it is:

41814525591_4a016267dc_b.jpg

Once the basics of the class were discussed and range rules and safety was stressed we got down to work. Chris wanted us to have a 50 yard zero so we set up a firing line at 25 yards with the object to have a group 1" below the tactical boobs... I mean dots. My LPVO is set at 100 yard zero so I was concerned I'd have to adjust. Luckily it seems the 100 yard zero was really close to what he wanted so I didn't need to adjust my optic to accommodate the rest of the class. We shot from 2 different prones 1) Olympic prone and 2) NRA High Power prone which resulted in this (two 3 shot groups):

40007461380_f615655300_b.jpg

After that Chris went over supportive kneeling and we took 3 shots from that position at 25 yards:

41814528031_66b21ca41d_b.jpg

not bad. Next we did a drill where you shoot from standing, supportive kneeling, and prone and the object was to keep it in the circle with a time limit of 25 seconds. Spoiler alert I crapped the bed on it. Final time was around 62 seconds. After standing and went to kneeling for some reason my eye relief changed and I was getting some crappy scope shadow and couldnt focus. By the time I rectified it I had wasted time out the ying yang. Things you find out when you start pressure testing things. Didn't occur the rest of the day as I was practicing my cheek weld on the side while the second relay went. oh and FWIW I only shot at 1x all day since we were shooting at CQB distances and that includes when we zeroed first thing in the class.

Then Chris stressed the height over bore regarding optics and iron sights at CQB distances and the issue with using cover/concealment. Due to the height of the sights over the bore at CQB distances you need to aim 1.5-2" higher over your intended target area to hit it otherwise you're gonna hit 2" low. With cover/concealment you need to make sure your muzzle clears the cover/concealment. Just cause you see the target with your sights doesn't mean your muzzle is clear from obstruction. We worked the targets to ensure the concept was understood:

40007472760_fa782bab63_b.jpg

Next we worked different rifle ready positions outside of high control (for administrative purposes) - low ready, high ready, indoor ready. Then we went to town on the MDTS targets based on Chris' commands from 7-15 yards. Turns were also introduced as well:

40007477310_046cb3574c_b.jpg

Next we worked on switching from strong side shoulder to supportive side shoulder. We shot at 7 yards switching shoulders with each shot - safety, magwell, shoulder, feet. All shots head shot again keeping in mind height over bore:

40916271985_06a7401771_b.jpg

After lunch Chris discussed various malfunctions and how to clear and get the rifle up and running. My rifle was chosen to be the demonstration rifle and a was handed around to every savage in the congo to finger bang the trigger and rack her handle to identify a "dead" trigger and to quickly identify an awkward malfunction where the casing is lodged above the bolt and into the charging handle area. Then we did a malfunction junction where 8 rifles (two teams of 4 rifles malfunctioned) were set up and a round robin of WTF how do I clear this shit occurred. Yes, my rifle continued to get ravaged by the other miscreants.

Next we worked on different shooting positions - Standing, squatting, kneeling, double knee. After shooting from those positions we did an elevator drill. Standing, squatting, kneeling, double kneeling, switch to supportive shoulder with mag change, and work your way back up keeping the shots above the B but still in the zone. Chris also introduced some running to the line from 25 yards to 7 yards to spice some things up during the drill:

40007446990_305621d307_z.jpg

41773675282_a3fdb2294c_b.jpg

Finally, small introduction from shooting from concealment. We did it from a vertical concealment moving from left to right varying the shooting positions drilled and going from strong side to supportive side to put the whole class together. Got a little sloppy at the end cause I was trying to push myself a little faster with each transition to see where my failure point was plus the pressure of Chris calling out various commands and shooting positions, shapes, numbers, chest/head, etc:

40916276845_bd89a219f3_z.jpg

Awesome class. Too bad the SAFE Act has crushed this class' attendance so he doesn't offer it as much. Hoping to jump on future classes going forward. Also hoping to finish up my AR-9 to hit the range to work on most of the drills at the indoor range.

40916274015_8823c95836_z.jpg

Fun times. Learned a lot. Found a good amount of areas I need improvement on. I will address going forward.

Training.... get some.

Water Monkey

Last edited:
Complacency kills.

Glad you're getting out there monkey boy. I respect that.

I need to start lifting more than this coffee cup too.

I have to say that the class you attended is far superior to what police recruits and many line officers will ever see.

Good on you for investing some of your income on some stress training.

Great thread Raul. Appreciated all of it.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Doing my best to keep up my skills and acquire new ones. I have an "in" with the asst instructor so I plan on getting some more rifle training on the side with pistol transitions and sling work.

Slings are under appreciated by the vast majority of rifle and carbine shooters. It ain't rocket surgery or brain science, but you gotta know how the sling works.

Slings are under appreciated by the vast majority of rifle and carbine shooters. It ain't rocket surgery or brain science, but you gotta know how the sling works.

I agree, though I'm not one to run a sling much. I know that many like them, and are good at keeping the gun tight and more stable, I just am not real fond of slings on my guns.

I agree, though I'm not one to run a sling much. I know that many like them, and are good at keeping the gun tight and more stable, I just am not real fond of slings on my guns.

I'm familiar with NRA highpower sling set ups since I've shot a few matches. But in a dynamic environment.... another story.

Yeah, I don't really get to shoot at distances long enough that would warrant a sling.

I like slings for when I have to go close hands-on and use handcuffs or other punches or restraints and let the rifle hang free. Without a sling i would have to surrender my main weapon that somebody else can swipe and use in their favor.

Same with a shotgun. Bring it to the fight, and keep it. Pretty simple.

I'm currently working with the assistant instructor to run a semi private class in July to work on sling, pistol transitions and shooting using concealment

Back