• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

45-70 please!

Yacol J

.270 WIN
Everyone keeps asking about a .357 lever gun. Although it sounds great, I'm looking the other direction. How about a 45-70? I know that some of you will hate me for this, but maybe even an SPX version. I own a 464 SPX, and I love it. It would help with the recoil, if it had a foregrip.

I like a 357 carbine. Gives me all that I need for whitetail and such.

A 45-70 would be pretty awesome. Then again, you could always just use a 12 gauge LOL

I'm addicted to the lever gun, and I would love to have a bigger one. I don't really want a Henry, or any other brands. I love my Mossbergs.

Last edited:
I agree on the 12ga shotgun thing.
In most cases very effective & cheaper by far.

But lever guns have their own wonderful charm, which is why I own .45-70, .30-30, .357 and a .22.

I think the .45-70 is a lot of fun to shoot, in the same way that it's fun to shoot off rockets and cherry bombs.

And while I do not hunt, if I had to I know that the .45-70 would take care of any close range animal.

That's a comforting thought, even though I basically bought it as a toy.

While I do not buy what you would consider "investment quality" firearms, I also buy guns as an investment because I know that they will withstand inflation well, here in California.

I also agree about the 12 gauge. I'm a city boy. I don't hunt, although I would like to hunt some hog. I have an affinity for the eccentric. I own a a 30-30 because it's cool and different. It's also very hard hitting. I own a SPX because it's more cool, and more different. With that being said, the 30-30 needs a big sister. :)

Best lever caliber period the end the .35 Remington it will do just about anything you can ask of a lever running from 150grain up to my fav just a big fat round 200grn corelock.

Levers are addictive to me as well. They are just fun to shoot.

DJ, I have not fired a .35, but I read on other forums about them. The guys that have or had them love them. Perhaps one of these days I'll get a chance to shoot one.

Levers are addictive to me as well. They are just fun to shoot.

DJ, I have not fired a .35, but I read on other forums about them. The guys that have or had them love them. Perhaps one of these days I'll get a chance to shoot one.
They were pretty popular in the southeast still have a cult following, not sure about rest of the country. But id feel totally confident even in Ak big nasty bear land with one and heavy lead. Its a great caliber with a couple nice options in ammo.

Best lever caliber period the end the .35 Remington . . .

Maybe . . .

I dunno enough about 'em, but I like this one as well as any I had ever held.
VZM.IMG_20160805_214142.jpg
I can't recall what this gun is exactly but it seems to me it was a .300 mag Winchester. A very substantial weapon.
20160804_094904.jpg
20180908_123653.jpg

One of you guys here will know. Unfortunately I don't have better pictures.

This is owned by a friend of mine and I hope someday she will sell it to me.

She also owns a .35 Remington pump gun.
VZM.IMG_20160806_121218.jpg

20160804_095410.jpg

Maybe . . .

I dunno enough about 'em, but I like this one as well as any I had ever held.
View attachment 19020
I can't recall what this gun is exactly but it seems to me it was a .300 mag Winchester. A very substantial weapon.
View attachment 19023
View attachment 19026

One of you guys here will know. Unfortunately I don't have better pictures.

This is owned by a friend of mine and I hope someday she will sell it to me.

She also owns a .35 Remington pump gun.
View attachment 19021

View attachment 19022
Cadd thats a goose bumps gun a wonderful Savage 99, id guess in .300 Savage or maybe the cool .250-3000. Any caliber they made it in many its a really classic special piece of Americana grab it !! Dont let go !! I had one in .308 let it go HUGE regrets.

Savage it is then, and I am pretty sure it said .300 mag or .300 winmag. Just cannot recall. Frankly I put it out of my mind because she wouldn't sell either. (Both beautiful condition Family heirlooms.)

Trying to find another pic.

Ive never seen one in a 300 win magnum im gonna say doesnt exist but i did actually see one in .410 once !! Im gonna bet .300 savage. They really are uber nice handeling
Dang just saw that .35 pumper wow daddy likes that !!-!!! Yes please

Well this is all I could find, but I had to post them because that Lyman sight is so classic.
20160804_094759.jpg

Also you can see that this gun has the high pressure barrel but you can't see the caliber.

I assume that makes it a magnum, but maybe that just makes it a smokeless gun?
20160804_094810.jpg

20160804_094912.jpg

Here's my wife holding that .35 Rem pump gun. I would give a good deal to own either one of these.
20160804_094957.jpg

Back