• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What happen to Remington?

megawatt

.270 WIN
ok I guess I have been a sleep. I got my 590A1 and SPX almost 10 years ago. Back then it was Mossberg vs Remington. 870 vs 500 or 590. Cross bolt safety vs top tang safety. I never owned a Remington but always thought they were a good buy for a shotgun. And firearm owners having good choices is always a good thing in my book. Remingtons had way more parts/mods avaliable compared to a mossy so I was kinda envious of them because of that. But I didn’t need 20 different barrel lengths to choose from so I never felt like the mossberg limited me in my aftermarket choices.

Fast forward to today, I am looking in the shotgun section of glocktalk and there are plenty of comments on how Remington shot guns of today are bad quality and pretty much to be avoided. Many peeps say get the mossberg for a quality shotgun, less headaches, and good quality. How the Cerberus Capital/FreedomGroup that took over Remington has ruined a good product, etc.

I like to read how the general firearm community is now promoting Mossberg, they are learning what I have known/experienced for many years now. I am not happy that an American firearm company is turning out undependable products. I alway want good competition. Remington needs to step it up and get back into a viable Mossberg vs Remington chatter. That was always good fun talk.

here's a few reasons that I think have contributed to remingtons woes.

I'm going to number my opinions, even though they're in no particular order.

1. metal injection molding.

Let's face it, forged parts are still better.

2. Common core schools

reduced quality of the incoming labor force to replace the retiring old timers

3. investors who have milked them for all they're worth and riding the wave into bankruptcy, so they can sell them after the tit is dry.

When machine shops are run by accountants and lawyers in white shirts vs the crusty old dirty shirt dude who smells like cutting oil coffee and redman, the end result is a substandard product.

870's from the 1950s ~ 1980s were magnificent pump shotguns.

If you see a used one in a gunshop that says "Wingmaster" on the receiver BUY IT if you feel you can afford it and the condition is acceptable.

870's from the 1950s ~ 1980s were magnificent pump shotguns.

If you see a used one in a gunshop that says "Wingmaster" on the receiver BUY IT if you feel you can afford it and the condition is acceptable.
They smooth like butter when cared for, love a wingmaster.

The one I bought was made in '89.

I can't really say that mine is like butter.

The wingmaster 1300 on the other hand, pretty much is. If you point the gun up in the air and release the slide, it will move almost all the way to the rear just under its' own weight.

Mine 20gauge maybe 1976ish, dad had cut to 22" at some point. Its so deadly in quail field they just run and jump in your vest when ya take it out the case;)

I cut-down this 20ga Wingy for my brother. Late 70s vintage. I think I cut it down to about 20". It had a 28"? barrel missing the end part of the adjustable choke. Added a Choate? mag tube extension. It got traded off for something but I can't remember what...

I second what Nitesite says, definitely worth purchasing. Nice thing about this particular model was that you could convert to 12ga by swapping the bolt and barrel--I'm pretty sure the mag tube was the same for both but the receiver definitely was... PS: be careful as there was also a "slimline" version or whatever it was called that took different barrels, etc.

remmy.jpg

I cut-down this 20ga Wingy for my brother. Late 70s vintage. I think I cut it down to about 20". It had a 28"? barrel missing the end part of the adjustable choke. Added a Choate? mag tube extension. It got traded off for something but I can't remember what...

I second what Nitesite says, definitely worth purchasing. Nice thing about this particular model was that you could convert to 12ga by swapping the bolt and barrel--I'm pretty sure the mag tube was the same for both but the receiver definitely was... PS: be careful as there was also a "slimline" version or whatever it was called that took different barrels, etc.

View attachment 19296

Good looking old lead slinger!

I have over 10K rounds through my early 90s 870 express and it has been a flawless machine. I have looked at newer ones and they just arent what they used to be. You can only reduce mfg costs so much before it starts to show in the end product.

As the owner of a 5 year old Express Super Mag, I can say that there was only one major flaw with mine. It would choke on low brass sometimes and jam up solid. That was solved with a Dremel, some heavy sanding and polishing of the leading edge of the chamber. After that it's been great. Mine is well broken in now and when cleaned and oiled will virtually slide open if I hold the release while vertical. The action is pretty smooth. I've only once pulled all the internals including the trigger group and thoroughly de-greased & re-lubed once. I regularly pull the bolt & bolt carrier as part of regular cleaning after lots of shooting.

For $400 bucks I can't complain too much...I guess. Lol. The (2) 500 Mariners I had were more expensive and so very disappointing. I can only guess that maybe they were part of a bad batch that was shipped up here and I got very unlucky twice.

I'm looking at getting another Mossy...it's been long enough now that the sting has worn off...lol. Likely a Mav 88 in 20ga youth model that my wife will be more comfortable handling.

here's a few reasons that I think have contributed to remingtons woes.

I'm going to number my opinions, even though they're in no particular order.

1. metal injection molding.

Let's face it, forged parts are still better.

2. Common core schools

reduced quality of the incoming labor force to replace the retiring old timers

3. investors who have milked them for all they're worth and riding the wave into bankruptcy, so they can sell them after the tit is dry.

All true above. More factors: They are in more debt (bankrupt now) than they can deal with. Add in Sandyhook lawsuits, and the inability to meet the terms of moving to Huntsville, AL that they agreed to and Remington is finished. Throw in management turnover, poor morale, and they don't have a chance. Guns are definitely NOT what they used to be.

I own three Belgium Brownings and guns just aren't made that way any longer. None of them. S&W puts out crap compared to what they used to manufacture, for example. Remington is a nightmare that happened. Two of the three Brownings (Auto 5's) are casually for sale. I actually have too many guns. Really.

Back