• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Buckshot Pattern Test

Both very effective it looks like.
I was sorta measuring based on your picture that #4 at 10 to 12yds ? Im believing if center that pattern right on solar plexus would punch some holes in almost every single vital organ. Ima call that the humpty dumpty round.

Yes Sir, 27 lead balls traveling at about 1325 fps will definitely leave a serious impression on the bad guy!

#4.JPG

Running doubles with the Shockwave - I put 2 loads on each target from 28ft using Federal Tactical LE 9 pellet 00 flight controlled, results were fairly consistent......My target is printed on typical copy paper (8.5"X11"), image is 6.75" ear to ear (proportionally accurate) as the average human head is 6 to 7" wide.

102_9731.JPG 102_9213.JPG

I have found as well the rio royal patterned out best for me to but even got better paterns with the #4 buckshot rio royal 21 pellots compared to 9,thanks for posting this very interesting
I have used Rio quite often over the years in game loads always satisfied. Last year I ran across a small hord of 20gauge, in #4 buck, they are excellent shooters, im stingy with them.

Last edited:
I ran a few doubles today using my go to load, Federal LE Tactical 00, all shots were fired using my SW from 21ft using Casey`s 8" Dirty Bird targets....at 21ft this load barely opens up, and as usual I tend to pull my shots a bit high but still effective.....

102_9805.JPG

I ran some Federal Power Shok 00 (1325 fps) and #4 buckshot (1325 fps) through my SW from 21ft using Casey`s 8" Dirty Bird targets....The 00 was giving me about a 4" spread and the #4 was about 6". I can see why so many like a #4 load for HD, it gives a nice spread and hits as hard as the 00.

102_9814.JPG 102_9166.JPG

I ran some Federal Power Shok 00 (1325 fps) and #4 buckshot (1325 fps) through my SW from 21ft using Casey`s 8" Dirty Bird targets....The 00 was giving me about a 4" spread and the #4 was about 6". I can see why so many like a #4 load for HD, it gives a nice spread and hits as hard as the 00.

View attachment 20126 View attachment 20127
Very effective shootin right there, both look,good.

Back