• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Buckshot Pattern Test

I bought myself some more #4 and #00 buckshot today ( Rottweil Express )

#4 - 27 pellets. 38 gram or 1.34 oz load. Muzzle velocity 390 m/s or 1280 ft/s
#00 - 9 pellets. 33 gram or 1.16 oz load. Muzzle velocity 415 m/s or 1360 ft/s

222.jpg

Last edited:
I ran some 2 1/4" NSI mini buck through the SW this morning.....each load has 6 pellets of 00 and as usual I was at 21` and I was trying to put two load on each target and again I can`t say what the spread was because I never was able to get all 12 pellets on the 8" Dirty Bird target and in this example only 9 of 12 pellets hit paper.....:) Like most mini shells, this is not a load I would trust with my life!

102_9882.JPG

102_9885.JPG

I ran some 2 1/4" NSI mini buck through the SW this morning.....each load has 6 pellets of 00 and as usual I was at 21` and I was trying to put two load on each target and again I can`t say what the spread was because I never was able to get all 12 pellets on the 8" Dirty Bird target and in this example only 9 of 12 pellets hit paper.....:) Like most mini shells, this is not a load I would trust with my life!

View attachment 20284

View attachment 20285

While I agree not the defense load of choice , I must also say 9 .32 caliber holes in torso all at once would make a statement, and certainly beats harsh language:rolleye:

A blast from the past...:) punny?

NSI buck and ball - 2 3/4" 1300 fps (.650 round ball and 6 #1 buck). This stuff can be a bit of a handful out of the SW but a nice little thump from a shoulder fire shotgun....Out of 18.5" barrel from 21' it held a real tight pattern as it passed through 3" of fresh treated wood and smashed a paving stone. Wouldn`t want to try and catch a load of this.....

6 at 1 and 1 at 650.jpg
100_7735 (2).JPG 100_7737 (2).JPG

Last edited:
I may have the wrong thread, if so direct me correctly please. I just picked up a 1988 500F 410 with a 26 inch bore, barely used...sweet gun. I would like to know if anyone has any pictures or info on the various buckshot sizes used relating to their patterns. I shot my first deer at age 7 with a 410 side by side using triple ought. I am curious to know if the double ought or even #1 or #4 throws a decent pattern and at what distance. I got this gun for my personal rabbit hunting.. but I also have two young daughters that I would love for them to use this for their first deer in a few years.

PS. if I find other threads pertaining to this, I may cross post it.

I may have the wrong thread, if so direct me correctly please. I just picked up a 1988 500F 410 with a 26 inch bore, barely used...sweet gun. I would like to know if anyone has any pictures or info on the various buckshot sizes used relating to their patterns. I shot my first deer at age 7 with a 410 side by side using triple ought. I am curious to know if the double ought or even #1 or #4 throws a decent pattern and at what distance. I got this gun for my personal rabbit hunting.. but I also have two young daughters that I would love for them to use this for their first deer in a few years.

PS. if I find other threads pertaining to this, I may cross post it.
Enjoy the 410 500, sweet shotty. As for the buckshot, each of our and your guns will shoot different patterns so ya gotta buy some and try some, awesome part is its FUN.
IF I were required to hunt whitetail with my 410 though I would surely be using a .410 slug not buckshot, the effective range will be much better as well as simply oomph on meat.

Enjoy the 410 500, sweet shotty. As for the buckshot, each of our and your guns will shoot different patterns so ya gotta buy some and try some, awesome part is its FUN.
IF I were required to hunt whitetail with my 410 though I would surely be using a .410 slug not buckshot, the effective range will be much better as well as simply oomph on meat.
hmmm I love my 20 gauge slug. My furthest shot is 207. How do the .410s hold up to 50 60 or even 70 yards? ooooo Wait she is bored to full choke.... I have never shot a slug from full choke... is that possible? I have seen some guys do it on youtube but I would rather not harm the gun. Thoughts?

hmmm I love my 20 gauge slug. My furthest shot is 207. How do the .410s hold up to 50 60 or even 70 yards? ooooo Wait she is bored to full choke.... I have never shot a slug from full choke... is that possible? I have seen some guys do it on youtube but I would rather not harm the gun. Thoughts?
Your 410 foster style slugs are fine in quality full choke gun, almost all 410s are full bore anyway. I cant say for sure without trying of course and repeating, but id think one would hold minute of deer at 50 yards at least and frankly thats probably pushing true effective ethical range for the chosen tool anyway. Buy some try some take lots pictures and make us a post :sniper:

Back