• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Also looking for a 500 18.5" security barrel

JCinPA

.270 WIN
They are still pretty much pure unobtainium at this point, but thought I'd ask. If you have one you'd like to unload, or see one in stock somewhere, please let me know!

Yeah, I don't want to cut the field barrel, though. I like the idea of the field/security combo.

Just found an 18.5" 20 G barrel on the Mossberg site...I got an email notification and went to buy it...I ordered it and BAM it was out of stock...I got lucky on that one and it will be delivered on Monday, Sept. 17

they also told me that all parts are going into manufacture of firearms and not parts replacement. So, they are making a lot of parts and only a few go out for replacement...I bet you will hear from them soon.

got my 18.5" barrel today and swapped out the 28" field barrel...man it looks different. The inside was a bit rough, but my bronze brush with some polishing compound shined it up real nice. I will post pics tomorrow of the before and the after. I will get to the range next week and try some slugs through it.

I don't know where I'd seen it first, but there is a way to "cut" bulk shells circumferentially around the wad to create a shot-slug. As the potential to over-pressure the barrel exists, this is for informational purposes only... ;) LINK

I suggest doing a little more research before you do this yourself, but here is the basic method. There are several Youtube videos on the subject and they are all just a little different.

the question is, will my local indoor range let me shoot these to see how they print? they allows slugs only at the range. I will have to ask.

midsouth shooters supply sent me an email that 5 came in stock at 12pm yesterday, I checked my email at 5pm and all were gone when I called. Ebay has them but at nearly or over $200, I got tired of waiting and bought an EAA Churchill 612 for the $200. I was gonna cut a field barrel down but even them are going for $150, I can't justify that for a barrel when a whole gun is $200.

the question is, will my local indoor range let me shoot these to see how they print? they allows slugs only at the range. I will have to ask.

I will predict the answer will be "no". They are probably afraid of ricochets from steel shot against the backstop and I would be too...

Back