• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Since shockwaves are so hard to find

Think a lot of folks have replaced the shovel with a backhoe but principle is the same.

Wouldn't that make it

S
B
S
(shoot, backhoe, shutup)

I'd hate for the atf to get involved now thinking we're talking about short barrel shotguns, which we obviously aren't ;)

John, maybe we should use the term excavator vice backhoe and make it S E S!

That bear versus skier video shows how much endurance they have. At 20 to 30 yards their no more than 3 to 5 seconds away given a full charge. You better be ready and know how to handle that wespon!

Regards

I agree wholeheartedly.

I watched the entire video, and at the end of it, the bear doesn't even look like he's winded or breathing heavily to me.

They are amazing animals.

But, I prefer to keep them at a distance. They stay to themselves, I'll stay to mine. And hence, why I am forced to take the measures that I have to take. I wouldn't let somebody hurt me or one of my family. Not sure why anyone thinks a wild animal should have a free pass. I don't even get off of private property.

For those that says you're in the animals' home.

BS. When I was growing up, we didn't have bears here.

And really don't need them here now either. They're nothing more than dangerous, nuisance, invasive species far as I'm concerned.

John, it's all about a balanced approach. Out here in the West, states have sided on protecting various species vice trying to maintain to a balanced number. Hunting of bears and wolves is becoming almost non existent by regulation. As the bear and wolf populations has grown they have greatly expanded their territory and many towns are now being invaded by animals looking for food. The urbanites get all upset when they invade the neighborhoods and eat their domestic pets, but out in the wild these same urbanites get up in arms if they see a hunter. Hunter bad, bears good!

The wolf population has grown to a level that they are causing ranchers big economic problems.

We need a balanced approach by both federal and state governments which allows for a managed level of hunting each year. If not, many areas, like you described will see an invasion of bears and wolves where they never have been before.

Distance is your friend but if you hear, smell or see a bear you must immediately be on high alert. They can turn on you in a heartbeat and you will not outrun them!

Regards

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly Ernst.

We are not supposed to have wolves either. However, 2-3 years ago, I was sitting in my tree stand at the crack of dawn and I heard one howling in the distance. There are no houses up in there in the direction that I heard it. Matter of fact, it was coming from the states largest animal preserve/forest, but it wasn't a coyote for sure. And I honestly don't believe it was a dog either. Nor could I think of why a dog would be that far back in there on its' own.

It started howling at howled several times over the course of maybe 2-3 minutes. Then stopped as suddenly as it started. I have not heard it since, but it sounded like a mournful howl like you would hear on one of those werewolf shows and even though it was well in the distance, it made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

I have seen a few pictures on the trail camera that may or may not be younger/smallish wolves, and perhaps what they call red wolves, but I'd put my hand on a stack of Bibles and tell you what I heard that morning sounded like nothing else other than a wolf.

We also have big cats and cougars, even though the state says we don't. Even my sons 1st grade teacher had a dog that got snatched up out of her yard and she saw it run around the side of the house with it. While distraught that she lost her dog, she was even more furious because fish and game told her she was "confused" at what she really saw and basically told her she didn't see what she said she saw.

Anyway, man isn't at the top of the food chain when he steps into the woods. So, I'll try to take care of my little corner of it the best I can.

John, you always do such nice work my friend. Congrats on the completion of another drool worthy project!

Wish I had an ounce of your talent!

Thanks cmcdonald. This one was really easy and straight forward. If I had your gun laws to where I could have an 14" barrel and a buttstock, that's what I'd have. Unfortunately, those here have about an 8 month wait for the government background check and extra $200 tax tacked onto them.

I just chopped the barrel at 18". Which is just forward of one of the vent rib reinforcements. That's the minimum shotgun barrel length we can have on any shotgun that started out as a shoulder fired weapon.

Thread vent rib for new (fat) bead.

Take it apart,sand and refinish. Swap out furniture. Put back together.

I'm going to try to shoot it tomorrow (finally).

The side saddle shell holder was supposed to have been here last Friday, but no such luck. It's only about 3 days overdue so far. It probably won't get here at least before 5 or 6 days being delayed.

Obviously, it has a cylinder bore at the moment. Not really sure if I'm going to try to thread the barrel or not at this point. I may. Just need to see how it shoots first.

I'll probably mainly shoot a few handicap bird loads and then move on to some low recoil buckshot and slugs.

Speak softly and carry a boomstick..and a shovel .... in bear country.

Black bears are not typically aggressive unless threatened or hungry. That said a bear who has lost his fear of humans can be a problem.

I'll just leave these here. Both of them are local to me. One the next county over though so, not really too far apart geographically speaking. Maybe 38 miles?

c01r67A.jpg

yrtl0nP.jpg

Better pictures of above. I had to get 2 different screenshots to get the entire post:
ppi7Qkf.jpg

This one not in our county, but I respect her honesty nonetheless because it's only a matter of time before it happens here too, if it hasn't already and they are just covering it up. I thought it was going to happen to me the night that one bear charged me while I was taking out the trash, but I it didn't chase me all the way to the front door. I warn you guys up front though. This next one is hard to read.

6BSAEw1.jpg

vvgNYwi.jpg

Well, I was able to shoot the gun a few times this evening.

needless to say, I didn't really do so well with it to be perfectly honest. Seriously thinking about putting the stock back on it. I think I'd be able to be a lot more accurate and it didn't add a ton of extra length of weight. Especially considering it's a plastic stock anyway.

Even at close range, I was shooting high and left (around 11 o'clock) of where I was wanting to hit. Consistently.

needless to say, I didn't really do so well with it to be perfectly honest. Seriously thinking about putting the stock back on it. I think I'd be able to be a lot more accurate and it didn't add a ton of extra length of weight. Especially considering it's a plastic stock anyway.

Even at close range, I was shooting high and left (around 11 o'clock) of where I was wanting to hit. Consistently.
I couldn’t shoot my shockwave confidently without the laser on it, in a HD situation. My house’s interior is alway lighted so identifying the threat is covered, but the ability to shoot off handed, from cover, without my glasses is only comfortable when the target is lased. I know for a fact that the shots will follow the bouncing green dot no matter what, inside my house..lol

I just don't know if I'd be able to use a laser or light outdoors and during the day with any confidence. Especially on an fast moving animal with fur on it which would probably obscure the laser.

The gun is capable. I just don't know that I am with it in that setup.

John, if you look back to some earlier discussions you'll see a majority of folks did exactly the same high and to the left. I'll guarantee after a couple of hundred shell you'll be on target. Aim the gun and use a push pull technique and it will steady out. You're anticipating the shot.

Good luck.
Regards

You're probably very right about anticipating the shot. I've been kissed before when I was pretty young.

The stock only added about 8 inches. It's still short and sweet.

I still need to stiple the other side of the handguard this morning. I finished with one side just before dark on the back porch.

RFhuLVd.jpg

vEJzFWI.jpg

John, looking good. I found the shockwave stock to be a little slick especially in wet weather. So I wrapped it in grip tape and it made a great improvement. The angle of the shockwave grip transfers the recoil along the length of your fore arm vice old pistol grips which killed your wrist.

Think you're on the right track. Plus your advantage is the combination of your ribbed barrel and big brass sight for aiming.

With practice you will also find you can hit a target from a hip shot but it takes lots of diligent practice to get consistent. Like i said the high and yo the left is normal in the beginning.

Good luck my friend.
Regards

Thank you buddy. I appreciate the encouragement.

Just saw this short video. For anyone that thinks a black bear will run from humans, and don't know what they're capable of.

For anyone that would say they run the other direction because they were afraid of people, please take a few minutes to explain why 3 cars were parked within feet of it and it continued what it was doing.

This comment isn't directed towards anyone who has already participated in the topic.

Hunger has always been one of the largest motivators since God created Earth.

A friend of mine was bow hunting several years ago. A bear came into his bait after wstching it for some time and taking pictures he realized it was getting late so he attempted to scare the bear off so he could exit the stand. The bear would not leave, it just stared at him..

My dad was false charged while walking into his blind one year. He was bowhunting for bear at that time. All the other bear he saw while hunting were extreamly skittish. We think the bear was surprised in the bait as he walked in.

All the bears I have encountered have been very skittish.

They are curious and have no natural predators, at least in my area. All it takes is the wong one to instantly change the direction of your day.

Richard P. Smith has spent a lot of time researching and witing about Michigan black bears. I recommend his book on understanding black bears if anyone wants to learn a little more about their behavior.

Back