• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Today I ALMOST bought an MVP rifle in 5.56, but I didn't

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
At the LGS this morning, which has remained VERY well stocked in new long guns and new semi-auto pistols.

I was looking for a short/light bolt action rifle that accepts AR-15 magazines for a farm knockabout gun.

The MVP Patrol would be a possibility, but I really didn't want the iron sights and certainly don't want a bull barrel, and the proprietary-design "drop push bolt" on the all the MVP 5.56 versions is a real deal breaker for me. The weird design probably works just fine but..... To ME it's just weird and nobody else has adopted something similar. Also, I did not like that they are built with a 1:9" barrel.

So I didn't get the MVP today. I'm sure that they are fine rifles otherwise.

But, I did find another brand that suited me just fine so I got it and not the Mossberg.

So are we supposed to guess? :D I say Ruger... :)

YES! Ding-Ding-Ding.

A Ruger American Ranch 5.56 is what came home. It has less weight, a "better" 1:8" twist sixteen inch barrel, does take AR-15 magazines, is free floated, and has a tang safety, plus the mag release is right where an AR-15 release is. I put a 4-12x44 on it and tomorrow I'm shooting it for a base ZERO then find what on-hand ammo it likes best. Of course, it is 100% made in USA.

I'll be honest, Ruger's Customer Service and their "warranty" is far better than Mossberg's which was another consideration I had to acknowledge. Hate to say it but it's true. Ruger is legendary for their amazing after sale support.

I'm excited for the weather being cool tomorrow, and since my 120-yard home range is right beside the driveway I can pack a lot with me and be just feet from my tailgate.

Last edited:
I'll be honest, Ruger's Customer Service and their "warranty" is far better than Mossberg's which was another consideration I had to acknowledge. Hate to say it but it's true. Ruger is legendary for their amazing after sale support..

Unless you have an AC556 with a lifetime warranty.

Because they stopped making replacement parts and they can't/won't service them anymore.

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?53742-Factory-support-over-for-AC556

https://www.rugerforum.net/threads/ruger-ac556.135880/

I'm not busting your chops nitesite. I own a couple of Rugers too, but I waited until the old man had been dead about a decade and another of his sons had also been buried before buying anything else that had the name on the side of it because I didn't really care for the old man siding with the clintons over the AWB.

I admit that I wish that I had gotten one of the camp carbines when I could. And still may pick up one of the recent 9mm carbines someday.

Yeah, John, I didn't buy anything Ruger because of Bill Ruger's crap for a pretty long time. I did the same with Smith and Wesson. But todays company (Ruger)? Totally different outlook on guns and magazine capacities and the like.

I have zero problem with Ruger these days.

So after showing myself that the first brand/box of factory ammo I tried could shoot 3/4" at 90-yards I today pulled the scope back off of it. Trying to find just the right ammo to get 1/2" at 100 to me sounds incredibly tedious and boring.

This was bought to be a farm predator, knock around, truck and plinking gun. So I have a NIB Aimpoint PRO red dot optic that I got out today. After removing the AR15 riser/spacer from the Aimpoint and putting a new 1/3N battery in it I installed it on the factory picatinny rail and I LOVE it. It sits really low over the bore and has no eye relief concerns. It is perfect for what I want the rifle to do.

I agree about the company as a whole today. That's why I admitted to having purchased a few the last couple of years, but I had a ~15 year hiatus so long as he was still pulling the strings.

Sounds like the aimpoint was just what the gun doctor ordered if it works for you. It should be a fast aiming and accurate gun. And I agree that the 4-12 would slow me down.

Most shots I get are under 100 yards anyway, so if I have an optic on a gun, it's anywhere from 1-4 or 1.5-6. Something low magnification and fast on point because most fleeting shots are just that. The last thing I want is to have so much magnification that the side of a coyote looks more like a blurry teddy bear because the scope zoom is maxed out.

So after showing myself that the first brand/box of factory ammo I tried could shoot 3/4" at 90-yards I today pulled the scope back off of it. Trying to find just the right ammo to get 1/2" at 100 to me sounds incredibly tedious and boring.

This was bought to be a farm predator, knock around, truck and plinking gun. So I have a NIB Aimpoint PRO red dot optic that I got out today. After removing the AR15 riser/spacer from the Aimpoint and putting a new 1/3N battery in it I installed it on the factory picatinny rail and I LOVE it. It sits really low over the bore and has no eye relief concerns. It is perfect for what I want the rifle to do.

I got an MVP several years ago...the one that has the bench stock...It said Varmint, but they may have made a Sporter variation.

I used 55 gr Hornady BTHP. IMR 8208 XBR powder @ 23.5 gr. weighed. My groups were about 1/2" @ 100 yds. I never tried to improve it and haven't shot it for 3+ years. I like the gun but I got it to hunt with. Then my health went downhill and it got too heavy to carry.

The load was very stable and accurate. 8208 metered well through my Lyman digital dispenser. I never chrono'd it though so I cant vouch for the speed.

Last edited:
Just a general comment on guns and manufactures. The only thing in the last five decades or so has been change and typically not for the betterment of the firearm. The Marlin lever guns are a perfect example. The old JM guns were basically hand fitted and gave no trouble. Then comes along Remington and quite frankly screwed up a good thing all in the pursuit of efficiency and cost cutting. Now the line is owned by Ruger, so time will tell. But when JM lever guns made in the 70s are selling for more than brand new ones it certainly speaks loudly regarding quality.

I don't own many "new" guns but when buying a gun the first thing I do is completely tear it down for a though cleaning and inspection. Manufacturing process problems are usually evident and can be addressed upfront. I also take time to identify parts which appear to be weak or subject to excessive wear. Finally, I make a list of spares I want to have on hand, just in case. Doing this early usually means spare parts are available and at reasonable prices.

I've never returned a weapon for warranty work. But doesn't mean I haven't had issues. When the Shockwaves first came out I purchased one and immediately had feeding problems. After diagnosing the problem I sent a detailed email to Mossberg describing the issue and simply ask for a few spare parts. I also stated I had no desire to return the gun and was perfectly capable of fixing it and happy to provide feedback. They mailed me the parts immediately.

For older wespons I've actually made parts or in some cases bought a parts only spare gun.

Lots of workaround beyond dimply relying on some manufacture three times removed.

Regards

Back