• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Dreaded stiff safety.....

Motocrash

.22LR
Got a new 18.5" Shockwave this week... I was in a hurry to get back home before rush hour hit (I was 2 hours from home as it was) and didn't yank it from the box and check her out. Not that it mattered much, guns don't remain "stock" for long in my house and this one already had a small pile of parts waiting for it.
First once over found the safety waaaaay stiff. Way more than any Mossy I've owned or used. I pulled it to the rear (on) and when I went to push it forward.... nope. No way. It wasn't budging. Instead of forcing it, I decided to pull it since it was getting a new safety anyway.
This is what I found:
Mossy-safety.jpg

Pretty sure the detent ball is supposed to be on the spring

Luckily, I didn't go neanderthal and force the switch. As it is, 'tis but a scratch.... you can't even feel it with a fingernail. Getting stupid with it could have really gouged up the receiver.

IMG-20210606-095155090.jpg

Thankfully, the screw holding the safety wasn't very tight so it came of pretty easily. Anyone who's struggled with the tamper-proof screw from Mossy knows they can be a bit of a bear sometimes. Maybe this one being not-so-tight allowed the safety to raise up a bit, allowing the ball to stray. Who knows. I'm just glad I was in a better mood and didn't get out the hammer.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this! Hope all goes well with the rest of the gun and that the safety was the only thing installed on a Friday at 4:45pm... ;)
It got a few other things.... still waiting for a few more tho. Hopefully, they'll all be slapped on before the next range sesh so my youngest (his B-day present) can burn through a couple boxes of ammo with his new blaster.

My most recent *used* 500 has a tight safety.

I noticed if I push down on the front of the selector, it raises up the rear to make it easier to manipulate.

I too thought the spring was missing but haven't tried to take it apart. I hate tamper resistant screws and I think whoever decided that it was a good idea to use tamper resistant screws at mossberg should be kicked in the ovaries.

My most recent *used* 500 has a tight safety.

I noticed if I push down on the front of the selector, it raises up the rear to make it easier to manipulate.

I too thought the spring was missing but haven't tried to take it apart. I hate tamper resistant screws and I think whoever decided that it was a good idea to use tamper resistant screws at mossberg should be kicked in the ovaries.
Thankfully, my screw was loose enough that it came out pretty easily. The spring is in good shape, as is the ball. I have no idea how the ball ended up where it was but I think it was maybe a combination of several things. I noticed that the plate under the safety has a burr around the hole. Maybe the screw being a bit loose, the plastic safety, and the burr pulled the ball off the spring and deposited it in the red dimple. All I know for sure is, once it was in the dimple, it wasn't going nowhere without getting medieval with it.

Post pics of the finished product please.
One of the first upgrades to all of my mossy’s is to replace the safety. Not because it’s plastic but because I like a higher ledge to make sure the safety is doing exactly what I want it to do.
I’m picking up a new mossy tomorrow and I will check the safety on/off straight away. Thanks for the post.

Post pics of the finished product please.
One of the first upgrades to all of my mossy’s is to replace the safety. Not because it’s plastic but because I like a higher ledge to make sure the safety is doing exactly what I want it to do.
I’m picking up a new mossy tomorrow and I will check the safety on/off straight away. Thanks for the post.
Will do. Unfortunately, one of the remaining parts I'm waiting for is a metal safety, It was supposed to be here today. The new safety has a little lip on it (NDZ?) to make it easier since I shoot a lot with gloves. I've had and used Mossys with plastic safetys and never had an issue. After this tho, I think I'm going to order a few spare metal ones for future Mossys.

Found another issue; I was messing around with the safety and dropped the ball into the ball/spring hole. It didn't fall in.... not even when pressed with no spring. The hole was very tight and crusty. I scrubbed out the hole and the ball slips in smoothly now. Reassembled safety and it works as intended. Hastily assembled firearms should come with a warning that they need to be disassembled, cleaned, inspected, reassembled properly. Would have been better off if it were just sent in a bunch of baggies.
Still a bit miffed about the scratch on my brandy new Mossy, especially where it's so obvious, but, it will get it's share of dings pretty soon and I'll get over it.
Word to future buyers of new Mossys: if the safety feels wonky, disassemble it and check for foreign saboteurs.

I did a safety switch check on my new mossy 930 and it worked fine. Mind you me NIB Mossy was built awhile ago and not subjected to current production and supply chain issues as the Mossy’s built in the last year or so.

I second the motion that all new (and used) firearms should be thoroughly disassembled, inspected, cleaned, lubricated, reassembled and function tested prior to putting live ammo through it. I know it’s a PITA but it could possibly save your firearm from damage and maybe even yourself from injury or worse.

Well, this is where we're at now:
Max-Shotty.jpg

I know what you're thinking; "Why buy a shockwave and put a stock on it?". Well, a couple reasons.... I had a Magpul stock already waiting for my son's new shotty (he digs them) so, the stock stock was going to get replaced anyway. I wanted a 590 (not A1) because I wanted it to be light, the A1 is a bit heavier where I don't need it. Unlike the 14" shockwave, the 18.5" doesn't have the heavy BBL. The steel safety was getting replaced also so, no need to get the A1. I'm not hung up on the metal trigger assy either so no use paying for it. 590A1s are purt near impossible to come by right now, and if you order one, expect to pay quite a bit over msrp. A local FFL had a 18.5" 590 shockwave for under msrp... no brainer.
Still waiting for a +1 extension, forward sling mount and sling, but it's ready to go to the range.
And... YES the young lad is purty excited.

I don't know how I missed this.

I love what you've done with that gun.

I recently added a magpul handguard on one of my 500's and I admit that I like it a lot. I even ended up using a soldering iron and stipled mine.

I thought putting a full stock on the Shockwave was illegal? I thought I remember reading that the serial number states the gun is a Shockwave and it has to stay the length it was bought at ??????

Legal if you:

1. Use an 18 inch barrel
or
2. Register it as a short barrel shotgun and pay the $200 extortion fee

I thought putting a full stock on the Shockwave was illegal? I thought I remember reading that the serial number states the gun is a Shockwave and it has to stay the length it was bought at ??????
Yerp, wot John say. It's and 18.5 from the factory so no foul. I checked, rechecked, and checked again to be sure no overzealous ATF rookie would get his (her,it's) granny pannies in a twist and cart me off to the hoosegow.
It will never be an SBS as long as I have it. I was tempted to buy a shorty and get it stamped but decided I didn't want another gun on their list. In light of the recent election shadyness and ATF power grab, all of my stamped stuff is being returned to legal configuration and taken off their books. Call me paranoid, but, I never built and AR "pistol" with a brace either because I figured someday they'd decide to come after them.... again...

I don't know how I missed this.

I love what you've done with that gun.

I recently added a magpul handguard on one of my 500's and I admit that I like it a lot. I even ended up using a soldering iron and stipled mine.
Originally, I had a Hogue furniture for it. My son loved the Magpul on my other Mossy so I grabbed a set for him and shelved the Hogue. We love the grip angle and the LOP spacers of the Magpul, the M-lok forend is not as big a deal, but it is pretty sweet and matches the stock (ocd satisfied).
I think the next time I go to the range I'm going to stick on some of the grip tape I have laying around to see how it feels.

Last edited:
Is the hogue stock fde tan? I've been looking for one, but can't find one that isn't being sold in a set.

I'll share a picture of a handguard that I have grown quite fond of. I never expected that I would like it as much as I have, but it's grown on me.

I bought an Ergo railed forend years ago when they were first coming out. While it was handy to use with a front grip, I have fell in love with how the magpul angled grip on the bottom and magpul textured rail covers are on the sides.

Dang if it don't fit my hand like they were made for each other.

I'm not knocking the magpul handguard and I like it good too, but I do admit that the other handguard just feels nearly perfect for me.

qyKhoNR.jpg

Back