• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Aquila mini shells

Will my Maverick 88 feed the 2 1/2 mini shells or do I need an adapter. If an adapter is required where can I get one ?
I have an OPSol Mini-Clip 2.0 Flex in my hand right now. On the instruction card: "Adapter allows use of 12ga 1.75" Birdshot, Buckshot, and Slug Shells. Fits: Mossberg 500, 590, 590A1 and Maverick 88 models" I realize that this post is kind of dated.

I just test fired my M500 @ 25 yards with the Mini Slugs and the OPSol adapter. The last 2 were in the center of the target touching. Pretty impressed with them.

I banged a box out of my 590 last week. Slugs. Also at 25 yards. Really couldn't tell which hit where, wadding or slug, because they both hit at the same time. No feeding issues with the adapter. Very low recoil, compared to 2 3/4 inch. I'm curious to see how much drywall they'll go through. I've also got buck but haven't fired them.

Comparing the ballistics of the Mini Slugs to .44 Magnum, the Mini's have more muzzle energy than alot of .44's out there.

I want to get some of the 7 1/2"s and see how they pattern. I am thinking that this may be a great woods gun option for like back country camping and the like. Given the fact that you can eject the chambered round and put in a small game round for a quick small game hunt yet still have a round fully capable of killing a deer is great. I know you can do that with regular 12 gauge, but with the Mini's, you can carry almost twice as many rounds on your person. I have some Mini flares as well I bought a few years back, I want to try them out and see how well they work.
I have been building up a small back pack with items for a back country survival situation and am thinking that a box of Mini slugs and a box of 7 1/2's might work great in that.

Waiting on someone to come out with a handgun that will handle those shells. Might be already, I don't know. Now THAT would be a "self defense" weapon!

Check out the video below. They used full length rounds, but the mini shell might work out better.

Last edited:
But what about after, say, 50 ft? Has any testing been done on different ranges?
Dunno. I can't imagine they would pack the same punch at 50 yards, considering the size and shape of the slug. But 50 ft? That's way less than the depth of my house. I would not feel undergunned at that distance. That Rossi pistol looks pretty cool.

I put a around 50 rounds of assorted shells through the Shockwave over the weekend. Here is a pic of the final group @ 25 yards with the Mini Slugs. The group was shot after the final load of Hornady CD 00 buck.
Aguila Mini Slugs @ 25 yards.jpg

I was reading something somewhere that mini-shells approach the power of full-size because originally, full-size were were loaded with black powder and the shell had to be the size they are. But newer, "lighter" loads (ie: 2-3/4) require a lot less volume of smokeless powder. So a 1-3/4 mini can still pack a wallop. These Russian shells show that may be true... (ie: 420mps = 1378fps) For S&Gs I blasted a birdshot into the ground (safely). That is about a cantaloupe-sized hole... ;)

techrim1.jpg techrim2.jpg techrim4.jpg boomshakalaka.jpg

I shot some of the Mini Shell buckshot loads as well and the recoil impulse off of those were not anything like the Mini-Slug. They did not pattern very well either. I still want to try the 7 1/2 field load and then try to find some of the Federal Mini's as well.

Back