• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 Cracked Ejection port

Komodoj

.270 WIN
So……. I have this Maverick 88 that I bought new many years ago. Put about 30 rounds threw it and then made a SBS out of it. Form 1 of course. Probably has 200 rounds threw it now. It’s basically my “Experiment toy” always changing things on it and it’s in my name before I became an sot. Today while playing with it I noticed what looks to be a small crack in the ejection port where one of the slide rails run in. I sanded it down with 600 grit to try and look at it better. A light does not shine threw it on the underside. Either way I hate to junk it being it’s registered sbs. Is this a common issue on Mavericks? I sure I can probably put a piece of steel behind it as a backer and then tig weld it. I don’t know. It might come out like dog crapola. What says the hive. I’m bummed!!!!!

56FC741B-2BF2-4BD4-B89A-549F7778C4A3.jpeg

That does look like a crack to me. Can you flip the receiver over and look to tell if it shows a crack on the underside of it?

If I may make a suggestion, and I understand exactly why you don't want to scrap it and shouldn't, but take a small drill bit barely a larger diameter than the crack and drill both ends before tig welding it. The round bit/hole will prevent the crack from growing and will stop it from spreading, while the tig weld would fill it all back in and will be stronger than ever repair.

Can’t see a crack on the other side but it is raised. Wonder if this is a common problem where one of the arms rides and pushes it up like that? Yes I am planning on doing what you said above. My welding skills are fair. I have a buddy that’s gonna do it. He does contract work for SpacX. He’s an awesome dude!

I've never seen that before.

I've never seen that before.
Actually when I googled it a few threads from various forums came up. There is a small weak section at the ejection port side where the rail tends to push up a little. Weird thing is if you really look at it I’m surprised it doesn’t happen on most of these 88’s. There isn’t a lot of “Meat” there!

Small update. Spoke to Zachary Nedelka and Joe Zachker at Mossberg. There doubtful a weld will work but are willing to warranty it for me. Don’t really want that because of the form 1 process. Might have to scrap the whole thing. Bummer!

No way I'd scrap a $200 tax receiver.

And I understand why they can't re-serialize it the same as well. Olympic Arms got scolded for doing that once.

I'd still try to fix it. What's the worst thing it's going to do?

Yeah I’m gonna have it welded.i don’t believe it’s a high stress pressure area anyway. Should last a lifetime!?

Yeah, it should.

With a good weld, should be even stronger than it was originally.

What if you just opened up the port a little and re-anodized (or Sharpie)?
Good idea but right below that crack is where the action arms run. Believe it or not I believe that area is a very weak area if you watch as you’re sliding the action arm in the metal arm it rides in that channel and right above that channel is where my crack is it’s very very thin there so if the arm has any play up or down over a little bit a time I’m sure it’ll do whay it did to mine. Ymmv

Showed it to my welder. Said it was a super thin area. Gonna bring it back today and sit with him while he works his magic. Fingers crossed!!! Here’s a pic of the micro pump action I’m building out of a Magpul pump action. Still a work in progress but almost there. Lol

6A5D7A48-07B4-4009-96D9-BC8C9C956A61.jpeg

Showed it to my welder. Said it was a super thin area. Gonna bring it back today and sit with him while he works his magic. Fingers crossed!!! Here’s a pic of the micro pump action I’m building out of a Magpul pump action. Still a work in progress but almost there. Lol

View attachment 27199

Wishing good luck and a good outcome.

I humbly want to ask... Because I am an idiot and don't know.

What do you hope to accomplish with such a short barrel and mag tube?
Just a range toy. Head turner. My daughter and wife love shooting the mini shells out of it. I can load 3 in the tube and 1 in the chamber. Just a real fun toy, that’s it. If the zombies come it’s also less to handle as I’m running and shooting!

Just a range toy. Head turner. My daughter and wife love shooting the mini shells out of it. I can load 3 in the tube and 1 in the chamber. Just a real fun toy, that’s it. If the zombies come it’s also less to handle as I’m running and shooting!

Very well thought out plan. I like it.

By having the manufacturer license, do you still have to pay the $200 tax on each build you do? Or is it one and done? With the manufacturer license, can you then build weapons to spec and because those weapons were not made from another weapon, per,se, would they only need the $5 stamp like the Serbu ? Sorry for all the questions.

By having the manufacturer license, do you still have to pay the $200 tax on each build you do? Or is it one and done? With the manufacturer license, can you then build weapons to spec and because those weapons were not made from another weapon, per,se, would they only need the $5 stamp like the Serbu ? Sorry for all the questions.

Let me try and some it up. Very good questions. As a Manufacturer, no I do not have to pay the $200 registration fee. I can manufacture Machineguns, Aows, Sbr’s or SBS’s and I just have to file a Form 2 which takes seconds. It’s not really asking permission from the atf it’s just letting them know my “Intent”! Now any sbs, Aow or sbr I manufacture I can keep if I decide to dispose of my SOT but will have to transfer it to a form 4 and pay the $200 at that time. Machineguns I would have to Dispose of or transfer to another SOT on a form 3 if I dispose my Sot. If I keep my sot and I want to sell a SMG then it transfers on a form 3 but it requires A law enforcement letter. I can go on and on and on.Gets a little tricky. So In short this particular sbs was from before I was a SOT so there is a $200 fee imposed on it.

Back