• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Not legal for my shockwave??

roamingiowan

Copper BB
IMG_20220814_193631929.jpg So if I understand the gun laws, this stock is NOT legal to put on my shockwave?
I was going to put it on so it's a bit easier to handle and a bit longer to fit into my shotgun scabbard for the car (Kansas) carry.

That is a bad idea.

Kinda what I had found out.
Think it's silly that the short stub stock is ok, but add a better functioning stock makes the very same gun illegal.

If I were to add a sling attachment that connects between the back of the receiver and the stock for a sling would that be legal?

Last edited:
View attachment 27739 So if I understand the gun laws, this stock is NOT legal to put on my shockwave?
I was going to put it on so it's a bit easier to handle and a bit longer to fit into my shotgun scabbard for the car (Kansas) carry.

There are numberous sites discussing the legal definition of a Shockwave including the barrel length of 14 inches and the overall length of greater than 26 inches plus can not be "shoulder" fired. Recommend you research the actual ATF legal terms, vice what you hear on the internet, if you plan to modify a Shockwave in any manner. It can easiy become an NFA item requiring registration and a stamp. There has also been great discussions regarding the legality of braces on Shockwaves and I'm not sure of the most recent legal finding.

I've had a Shockwave since the first month they came out and the stock configuration works very well with practice. The sling issue depends on if you're using a single point or a two point. With a two point you need the spacing of the original attachment points to chest or back carry. With a single point the issues are balance and bounce.

Good luck!
Regards

The terms you need to search are

NFA (national firearms act)

Short barrel shotgun

Since the shockwave only ships with a pistol grip (unable to be shoulder fired) it is legal to use with a barrel less than 18 inches in length.

But as soon as you install a buttstock on the gun, it becomes capable of being fired from the shoulder, and thus you would need to pay the $200 making/registration tax.

You could do it legally if you would like to pay the $200 tax, file the Form 1 paperwork, engrave the receiver or barrel with your name/city/state (because you effectively become the firearm manufacturer).

But, other than that, you would be committing a felony to install a buttstock.

Yes, it's sillly, and also why the nfa should be ruled unconstitutional for demanding a tax to exercise a God given right. But, this is where we are currently at. That is the ONLY way to be able legally to do it is through the extortion tax process. There are no weird tricks or ways around it.

Back