• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bought a Streamlight HL-X (My 1st Streamlight) for my 940 Pro

Just my $0.02. Try and find a mounting position that you can easily get to with your front hand/fore end thumb or front hand/ fore end trigger finger. This way you may be able to get away from needing the pressure pad. My line of thinking is the simpler the better.

Just my $0.02. Try and find a mounting position that you can easily get to with your front hand/fore end thumb or front hand/ fore end trigger finger. This way you may be able to get away from needing the pressure pad. My line of thinking is the simpler the better.

I agree, I was trying to position it today so I could reach it easily. We'll see when the new mount gets here tomorrow.

Totally different light and usage, but my behind the door, home defense Shockwave has a CT green laser saddle mounted and by mounting the weapon low in its quick release bracket, my trigger hand is on the activation pad before the gun clears the bracket. Takes about 2 seconds to deploy and fire. Hopefully you can find a happy medium that doesn’t add extra steps to pulling the trigger.

Send pics when you’re finished.

The offset mount I got today did not work but now I know what I needed and ordered it. Be here tomorrow. I'm thinking left side of barrel so my hand will be right there to switch it on. Will try it on both sides and see.

Totally different light and usage, but my behind the door, home defense Shockwave has a CT green laser saddle mounted and by mounting the weapon low in its quick release bracket, my trigger hand is on the activation pad before the gun clears the bracket. Takes about 2 seconds to deploy and fire. Hopefully you can find a happy medium that doesn’t add extra steps to pulling the trigger.
Rodburner. That sounds like a great solution for your intended application. Very fast and very capable. In this case it’s a light. My thinking is you want a great degree of control over a light. You don’t want it to turn before you need it. A light can very easily give away your position.

On a side note I’m very interested in how one zeros a HD shotgun with a laser sight?

Rodburner. That sounds like a great solution for your intended application. Very fast and very capable. In this case it’s a light. My thinking is you want a great degree of control over a light. You don’t want it to turn before you need it. A light can very easily give away your position.

On a side note I’m very interested in how one zeros a HD shotgun with a laser sight?
The laser saddle doesn’t “have” to be turned on if you don’t need it. I need my glasses to see clearly and fumbling around for them when somebody is kicking in my front door doesn’t cut it.lol I’m sure one of the smarter guys here can tell you how to sight in a laser, but in my case, it was dead on from the factory for any and all shots inside my house. And I won’t give a hoot if they see my position due to the laser, because if they see it, that means I’ve seen them and it’s over. That’s the beauty of this thing. No squaring up on a target, no sighting down the barrel or lining up sights. If the dot swings across their chest, lead surely follows..lol I’m standing in the fire position, finger on the trigger in this pic. This is all they’re gonna get of me..376544C8-5CD1-4D00-973C-6BD86C1852B1.jpeg

Last edited:

I don't specifically "know" the answer to your question BUT what if you got a bore laser "sight" (sample shown below) and adjusted your sighting laser so the points of laser "impact" were on each other? Connect the dots sort of thing... :) Just throwing it out there. ;)

12gaborelaser.jpeg

A light can very easily give away your position.

About 10yrs ago I picked up a front tritium sight to replace the broken bead on an 88 I was selling. It was NOS stock so was about at 1/2 life but still very discernible in the dark. I forget who made it but it just threaded in in place of the factory bead or in my case, what was left of it (the "ball" was gone but hex and threads remained). An ebay "find" I'm pretty sure I paid around $20 w/S/H for it because it was older (and dimmer). New, they go for about $35. LINK

I am not necessarily of the "rack the slide and scare 'em" camp. An unloaded shotgun is a club, at best. ;) If an invasion is ongoing, I would quietly rack a round into the chamber while I sat in the dark looking over the tritium. Some perp creeping into the "target zone" may only be using a cell phone "torch" to light his/her way but that would be enough to determine if they were armed or not. If armed, the element of surprise is on my side and is fully protected by Castle Doctrine. A very bright white light, perhaps pulsing, would be deployed with a firm order to "GET ON THE f****g GROUND, NOW!!!" command. Ideally, the white light would be in situ while I moved away from it back into the shadows. As mentioned, a laser (or gun mounted flashlight) will, by default, point back at you.

500tritium.jpg

Attachments

• 500tritium.jpg
    500tritium.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 0
Bobster. Thanks for the idea. It’s the best I’ve heard yet. This method would allow you to account for distances as well. If you synchronized the two beams at the longest possible shot in your house everything else would be “good enough for government work”.

I do have a light/laser combo on my primary HD shotgun. It’s mounted at the 6 o’clock position on the for end of an M500. What I did was put a small round sticker on the wall that defines the longest shot I would have to take. Then I synchronized the bead sight with the laser on that dot. Basically the same as your suggestion but probably slightly less accurate. Again good enough.

I’m lucky in that I didn’t have to buy an additional item. The saddle attaches to the receiver, right down the center line of the barrel. I measured my longest indoor shot, marked it out in my garage/range and put a duct tape X on some disposable bits and let fly, left and right handed, waist high hold. The light danced a bit, but 3 shots of 00, left nothing but a BFH in the target. And because I live alone most of the time, nobody has ever questioned the slightly too long bookshelf that serves as a rest if and when the light dance becomes more pronounced…lol. Oh and the laser beam is adjustable if you’re a hair splitter..

02489839-6551-4204-BA99-A738CAB134D4.jpeg 7106618B-DFB7-4EA5-BE5E-4213A40A17A0.jpeg
The Fenix set up works pretty well. Easy attachment with the Picatinney. Button right where my left thumb is on the fore end. Easy on/off.

While I don't think I've ever owned a fenix brand, most of my weapon lights are stick lights with clicker caps on the back of them.

I like them for the same reason you do. I place the light where it's easy to use and it's always where it needs to be.

Back