• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Crimson Trace Sidesaddle PSA

MAINSAIL

My green laser sidesaddle appeared to be dead.... again. Crimson Trace replaced my original after it died, and the customer service was great.

Fast-forward eight months or so and I try to turn it on and it's dead. I picked up four more 2016 button cells when I was in Home Depot. Later the same evening I installed them and no amount of mashing the buttons, flipping the slide switch, or turning the batteries around would get the green to come out the laser hole.

I opened another ticket with Crimson Trace, then started searching the web. It turns out that the Duracell batteries I bought have some sort of bitter flavored coating to keep the kids from chewing on them, and that coating doesn't play well with the sidesaddle.

I buffed them (much more than I thought would be necessary) with some 220 grit sandpaper and the laser works again.

So two useful tips- don't buy the Duracells, and if you do; 220 grit works to get the coating off.

... It turns out that the Duracell batteries I bought have some sort of bitter flavored coating to keep the kids from chewing on them... I buffed them (much more than I thought would be necessary) with some 220 grit sandpaper
Thanx, Mainsail. After using your hint I find that the batteries do taste a lot better. :cheers:

I don't want to make a separate post but since batteries are being discussed, I want to make an anti-recommendation. These R-V AAs were bought new 3-4yrs ago BF sale. The 60-pack is UNOPENED! :( Note the 10-YEAR storage "guarantee". :rolleyes: The melting down has been going on for the past year even with AAAs. As soon as the melt down was discovered, EVERY fornicating device in the house had to be examined and many (with R-V batts) were in the process of being corroded. Most were saved excepting some cheapie "free" HF flashlights and a wall clock I think. I contacted R-V and they can offer $15. :rolleyes: How about I just NEVER buy your batteries ever again... :mad:

The last time this happened en-masse, it was with some Berkley-Jensens (BJs Wholesale Club). Since I was no longer a member, they offered nothing... :( They took out a small pocket camera pretty bad--leaked into the LCD! :eek:

rayovacsux1.jpg

Well, I'm glad you brought that up. I've got 1 60-pak of AAA and 1 60-pak of AA that are both half empty. They are about 2 years old.
No damage or deterioration visible right now. They are stored in a living room desk in temps between 72F and 82F.
I use them mostly in my LED flashlights and they have not damaged any yet.
On my package after "HIGH ENERGY" is says "10 year power guarantee" then in microscopic lettering "IN STORAGE"
So far none of my remaining batteries are showing any signs of leaking or deterioration and the voltages are all nominal.

But now I'm going to check those suckers out periodically. Thanx.

I don't want to make a separate post but since batteries are being discussed, I want to make an anti-recommendation. These R-V AAs were bought new 3-4yrs ago BF sale. The 60-pack is UNOPENED! :( Note the 10-YEAR storage "guarantee". :rolleyes: The melting down has been going on for the past year even with AAAs. As soon as the melt down was discovered, EVERY fornicating device in the house had to be examined and many (with R-V batts) were in the process of being corroded. Most were saved excepting some cheapie "free" HF flashlights and a wall clock I think. I contacted R-V and they can offer $15. :rolleyes: How about I just NEVER buy your batteries ever again... :mad:

The last time this happened en-masse, it was with some Berkley-Jensens (BJs Wholesale Club). Since I was no longer a member, they offered nothing... :( They took out a small pocket camera pretty bad--leaked into the LCD! :eek:

View attachment 27911
Oh, for a DON’T LIKE option….lol

I use rechargeable AA and AAA batteries from Battery Junction and a charger from Thomas Distributing. I haven't bought batteries in those sizes in 13 years. Might be worth looking at.

I use rechargeable AA and AAA batteries from Battery Junction and a charger from Thomas Distributing. I haven't bought batteries in those sizes in 13 years. Might be worth looking at.

I was vested in RCs when the kids were kids for all their toys. Worked out OK but the RCs don't have the lasting power of regular alkies. And getting the kids to charge their own batts was fruitless... :rolleyes:

I had an Olympus digital camera (with big lens) I carried around for about 5yrs. Took really nice pics but ate batts. I carried around spare RCs in addition to spare "film" (xD cards). The CCD sensor developed some bad pixels so the camera was replaced by a cell phone. But I got re-involved in RCs and bought some fancy-dancy EVOs or something like that--white case. And also a fancy-dancy charger with all sorts of options. I'll look at my gear and update but I can't remember the name right now. I used to have a routine where I would swap out the batts from devices whether weak or not and charge them but I lost the dedication to do so. It is/was very time consuming...

Back