• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Moving the mounting lug on the barrel for longer mag tube?

Ok, so random idea I have had floating around in my head for a while.
We know the 500's and mav 88's use mag tubes with either 5+1 or 7+1. If you wanted to change to the 7+1 mag tube, you also have to change the barrel to one with the barrel lug in the right position to match it.
Not too big of a deal, assuming you can find the barrel you want with the right position of the mounting lug.

SO, what about a barrel that they do not make a version of to fit the longer mag tube?
For example, I have a 24 in slug barrel with scope mount on a 500 I just bought, and would love to have the 7 shot mag tube on this gun. (do not ask why, I just do).
This barrel is only available for the 5+1 mag tube and not the 7+1.

How hard would it be for a competent gunsmith to un solder the barrel lug, and then move/re solder it to the correct position for the longer mag tube?
I know barrel refinishing/rebluing would be required, but other than that, it is possible? Do you think there would be any shotgun gunsmiths out there that would even attempt this?

Easiest solution, buy a 590 or 835 barrel and mag tub then you can add whatever extension you want.

Note when using an 835 barrel in this fashion you cannot shoot the 3.5" rounds through it, you are limited to 2.75 or 3.00 based on your receiver.

They do not make a slug barrel for the 590, otherwise I would do that.
The 835 barrel, I suppose could be a option, but would rather use the barrel I have than buy that one.

What you're considering can be done but it takes "true" silver solder (which is expensive) and an acetylene torch which can reach a temp over 1000 degrees. The real challenge is not over temping the thin metal barrel. The other issue requires removing the finish from the barrel where you're planning to reattach the lug. Thus the barrel must be refinished both where you removed the original lug and where you reinstalled it.

It's all time and money but IMO you would be better off using a shot card attached to your current gun and learning how to combat reload on the move.

Regards

I hear you that you just want to do it. But financially it isn't worth it. It would cost more than you can imagine.

It may be possible to find one of the old Knox sidewinder conversion drums from the early to mid 2000's.

There was another company that bought the Knox design, but I can't recall what they called it. You may could research that.

But, that would be one option that would for sure work.

Finding one for sale though, may be tougher.

I hear you that you just want to do it. But financially it isn't worth it. It would cost more than you can imagine.

I figure it would not be cheap, I would not expect it to be.
Have you had first hand experience with this? Are we talking in the hundreds or in the thousands?

I'm sure there are lots of different things I could do, or different guns I could buy. But I would rather either have this done, or just leave it as is.
Mainly just wanting to know if it would even be possible and if any gunsmith might be willing to do it.

I figure it would not be cheap, I would not expect it to be.
Have you had first hand experience with this? Are we talking in the hundreds or in the thousands?

I'm sure there are lots of different things I could do, or different guns I could buy. But I would rather either have this done, or just leave it as is.
Mainly just wanting to know if it would even be possible and if any gunsmith might be willing to do it.

What you're wanting to do is certainly doable if you can find the right gunsmith who knows what he's doing. I'd get a couple of estimates and have the gunsmith explain the entire process to insure he knows what he's doing and you're confortable with his capability.

Here's the big issue - removing the old lug is simple by melting the original silver solder until the lug falls off. However, repositioning the lug in the exact right spot both along the barrel and around the barrel is a big issue. And keeping it inplace while it's soldered isn't accomplished by holding it with a pair of pliers. Don't get second chances if the mag tube and barrel don't fit exactly. Almost would need some type of jig to assure the right fit.

As I said earlier you will also need to refinish the barrel both outside and inside once the lug is repositioned. You will see the discolored hot spots inside the barrel bore which will need to be polished out. If you barrel is a grooved rifle barrel that's another thing to consider before attempting the reconfiguration.

I guess my question is what hunting or defense scenario is driving the need for seven vs five shells in the magazine and wouldn't it be just effective to simply top off the magazine after the first couple of shots? Many of us continously top off our magazines as we expend shells.

Not sure there is much else I could offer as advice. Good luck with your final and let us know how it turns out.

Regards

@JeepsAndGuns

Hi neighbor.

Thinking this over in my head. Here's what I think.

Any gunsmith who would take this on would know that this would be a one-off project and they won't make any more of them. That makes it a total custom job, and any smith who would be crazy enough to do this is either a) unqualified and just naive and they would screw it up, or b) so experienced that they want to take on your project just for the raw challenge and their hourly rate is astronomical.

If you deal with a competent gunsmith, it would not surprise me if this would not cost north of $750. So you can gain two extra rounds in a scoped hunting shotgun where it's rare to even get off two rounds on game.

I do not hunt, not planning on hunting (I have nothing against it).
Every gun I have is a "range toy" for me, as that is all I ever use my guns for. Just fun and enjoyment. I have my own personal range on my property I shoot on.
So there is no "need" other than just wanting it. Why would someone need to take a 500hp car and soup up the engine to 700hp? Because they want more power and because they can. Even if it costs more to do than the car is worth. They have something unique.
It would be a one off/custom shotgun that no one else has. Just a unique range toy for my personal use.

Back