• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Police use of Mossberg Patrol / Scout?

RightsideUp

Copper BB
I'm gathering info about the law enforcement use of the Mossberg Patrol / Scout.

I am a member of a military rifle club in Australia. I am trying to get the Mossberg Patrol/Scout series of firearms added to the allowable bolt action & iron sight competition list for my club. In order to do this, I need to put forward quite a case to the old guard of the club. I need to prove fairly undeniably that the Mossberg Patrol series of bolt action, iron sight as primary sight system rifles are, or have been, used by a national Military or Police Force.
I am wondering if someone could possibly give me some pointers. Do you know of any law enforcement agencies that use the Mossberg Patrol? I am hoping that someone in such an organisation could verify the model & layout they use.
I have been advised that "If they reply with the agency, model number and specifications that would be a strong case for inclusion."
If I can get this process completed, I, and I think many other people will want to purchase a patrol series rifle for competition use. Those old WW2 Enfields & the like are fast wearing out, and becoming rudely expensive. I think it would especially become a popular choice for beginners.

If I could get even the name of an agency that has at some point used them, I could try and get in contact with someone there.

Mossberg Inc hasn't been helpful.

There are a few magazine articles I've found that suggest that it was at some point a law enforcement option, but I can't find any actual specific examples of use.

Somewhere there is someone who has the answer, and would like to help. Hopefully reading this now.

Cheers,

Hi Bobster,

I need a lot of info to get the rifle through the vetting process. It's a tricky process. The adjudicators are very pedantic, as I suppose they should be. A photo or internet article won't do it. And the issued use must be primary iron sight system, not scoped with backup irons.

The attached review link...
www.tactical-life.com

Gun Review: Mossberg’s MVP Patrol 5.56mm

The Mossberg MVP Patrol is often overlooked when tactical rifles are discussed. The MVP Patrol is the center of Mossberg’s
www.tactical-life.com
www.tactical-life.com
...suggests that the rifle was at some time meant for law enforcement use.
Does anyone know if this ever happened? I mean, it could just be all marketing. I haven't been able to find any proof of any kind.

And therein lies much of your problem.

As one would imagine, iron sights allow the gun to work. Though, most designated marksman in the US will use some sort of magnifying optic, even if a somewhat lower power. Like a 1-6x or 1-4 or 5.

I mean, it could just be all marketing. I haven't been able to find any proof of any kind.​

No police agency that I know of issues bolt rifles to line officers. And designated SWAT teams who have access to bolt rifles never use irons, nor are bolt rifles their go-to first choice.

Perhaps that is why you won't "find any proof of any kind."

I think your desire to find conclusive data will come up empty.

No police agency that I know of issues bolt rifles to line officers. And designated SWAT teams who have access to bolt rifles never use irons, nor are bolt rifles their go-to first choice.

Perhaps that is why you won't "find any proof of any kind."

I think your desire to find conclusive data will come up empty.
I understand that the go to rifle would be semi auto AR based.
Yet at some point, I know some police departments issued the Remington 7615 pump action 5.56 with iron sights.
I am hoping that the Patrol was a bolt action equivalent of this.

Of course, I understand that standard issue small arms will be AR based, and SWAT temps would use scope or red dot sights of some kind.
I'm hoping for secondary or even fringe use. Local Sheriffs, Forestry Rangers, even prison guards.
Not a main stay option, but an option.
Not many people will know this information, but someone will. Not easy information to find, but that is the task ahead of me.
And I need not just a fleeting reference, but a solid document of affidavit. So, yep, I'm stuffed. But you've got to have a hobby, don't you.

It would be great if Mossberg sales staff could assist, but I assume that they are rightly putting their clients first, and keeping this info to themselves.

I have one more enquiry path after this, then I'm done with it. Wish me luck!

I would imagine, that like any other firearm, that the iron sights would be an integral and usable part in any firearm.

I have really never heard the question asked in such the manner as you did, about whether or not, that anyone could use the iron sights.

I would be willing to wager a bet that, yes, you could use them. And if you could not, you probably shouldn't have access to them in the first place.

It sounds as if the people in charge of the club you go to are, from a lack of better term, prejudice or just not very smart.

The rifle comes with iron sights from the factory. If the iron sights are not very good or usable, no one is going to use the gun in the competitions.

Unless they are restricted to military issue firearms. In that case, would only be those with a contract.

Back