• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Recoil Pad

bodark

.22LR
I have a new Maverick 88 and I need to replace the recoil pad. The Limbsaver website says to buy the 10809 pad for this application. The template I printed does not seem to be the right size. Can someone tell me if the 10809 pad does or does not actually fit the 88. I would also like to know if there are any other pads you would recommend. Thank you. This is the 12 gauge.

I used to be a fan of limbsaver, but lately, I hate them.

Their last several versions have been too soft and gummy. Making them very hard to shoulder.

If the pad rubs against your shirt, it clumps up and makes it very difficult to get into shooting position.

I've been using these. They are slick and rub smoothly and have about a half inch of padding in the back of them.

Like this

Last edited:
I have a new Maverick 88 and I need to replace the recoil pad. The Limbsaver website says to buy the 10809 pad for this application. The template I printed does not seem to be the right size. Can someone tell me if the 10809 pad does or does not actually fit the 88. I would also like to know if there are any other pads you would recommend. Thank you. This is the 12 gauge.
The 10809 is the correct pad. I have one on my Maverick 88. It is a bit gummy as John A. states above. To be honest it did not substantially improve felt recoil over the factory pad, but it is slightly better.

This is GREAT information. Can anyone recommend any other brand of recoil pad, or should I just stick with the stock pad. Maybe I have just become too recoil sensitive in my old age and need to toughen up.

I just don't like that the limbsaver is so sticky and grabby.

It is soft. No doubt.

Just that you can't shoulder the gun without holding it way out in front of you and then pulling it straight into your shoulder. That's just not how I shoulder a shotgun in a hurry and is awkward to me.

I like the Limbsaver. Model # 10809 is the correct one for the 88. I’m assuming you have the standard factory synthetic stock. If it is to gummy for you then you can wrap it with electrical tape.
It does a pretty good job at reducing the felt recoil at the point where it connects with your shoulder vs most factory offerings.
Mossberg is getting better at it. The recoil pad on my flex is very good. I left it as is.

Attachments

• F0C70B36-976C-4F57-B356-5CC7E20EB62E.jpeg
    F0C70B36-976C-4F57-B356-5CC7E20EB62E.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 4
As a new '88 12 gauge owner and an advancing senior shooter [73] I'm starting to consider an aftermarket recoil pad. I guess I should take the gun out first and experience the kick it offers with bird, buck and slug loads.

The reality is that I got the Maverick for the home. It will be very unlikely that I do any recreational shooting other than training, although it would definitely come along on a road trip. [also unlikely for a while] I may elect to just adapt to the recoil - focus on technique instead of gadgets.

Speaking of gadgets, I was also considering a set of ghost ring sights until I priced them. Yowza. After some serious thinking they now fall into the category of "why bother?" If I cannot stave off a home invasion with 6 shots at 10 yards, I should probably just move to the old folks home now. :(

Back