• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New guy with a new Shockwave!

Looks great! Good use of the Tri-Rail with the QD point. Yes, there is some wobble with the dual action bars using the factory forend as well, but that's a classic Mossberg feature lol. Hope you continue to enjoy it and let us know if we can help with anything!

Yeah... you can stop making really cool, high-quality, hard-to-resist, competitively-priced accessories for the Shockwave! Then maybe I won't keep spending money pimping this thing out!
;)

I'm anxious to see how Federal Shorty slugs perform in this gun. But, they are out of stock everywhere. I've got email notifications set up if they ever come into stock.

I'm anxious to see how Federal Shorty slugs perform in this gun. But, they are out of stock everywhere. I've got email notifications set up if they ever come into stock.
Interesting…Ammoseek had 27 listings of Federal shorty’s when I looked this morning…

Ahhh, gotcha. I’ll keep a lookout for slugs. I’ve only shot the Aguila slugs and buckshot shorty’s.

So far, I've fired just the buckshot shortys. When my wife got the gun for me, she included some regular 2-3/4" 7-1/2 shot. But my local ranges allow only buckshot and slugs.

I'm having a TON of fun with it, though! I've put myself on some "in stock" email notification lists for the slugs.

Last edited:
Have you fired any regular 12 gauge shells with that setup? I ask because recoil may violently jam that light against your left hand.

Fair question. Short answer is: Yes.

I've not only fired full-size 00-buckshot, I've even fired full-size slugs. I don't even know the light is there, honestly. No problems at all.

Mind you, I think the rear grip "recoil strap" makes the biggest difference in controlling recoil.

My front support hand doesn't even slip from its grip on the forend when firing full-size shells. It doesn't even run into the forend strap, much less the light.

Shooting the full-size slugs definitely is an attention-getter. But I am amazed at how controllable the Shockwave is. I don't think it's "violent" at all, really. I'll say this... shooting those same slugs in my 12-ga H&R Topper single-shot shotgun is TRULY punishing! And by punishing, I mean PAINFUL in my shoulder. In the Shockwave... no pain!

I can't wait to try some mini-slugs! But NOBODY has them in stock. Do they even exist? Have they ever been available on the market? Anyone seen them in the wild? Or are they vaporware?

Last edited:
I can't wait to try some mini-slugs! But NOBODY has them in stock. Do they even exist? Have they ever been available on the market? Anyone seen them in the wild? Or are they vaporware?
Watch the Academy online store like a hawk! We seem to be able to snag enough to hold us over until the next time they are in stock. We like the Aguila's, but haven't got our hands on any other brand...

Watch the Academy online store like a hawk! We seem to be able to snag enough to hold us over until the next time they are in stock. We like the Aguila's, but haven't got our hands on any other brand...

Have you ever seen the Federal Shorty slugs? Or are they vaporware? Just making sure I understand... Academy sometimes has the Aguila brand? Or Federal, too?

PS: Just looked at academy. Only Aguila and out of stock for all types. I set up an email in-stock notification. I won't be holding my breath, though.

PPS: I just realized that the Aguila minishell slug is really a sabot (smooth sides), and the Federal Shorty slug is a rifled slug. That would seem to be a fairly significant difference, considering the Shockwave barrel is a smoothbore. Yes?

PPPS: ANYone who has a Shockwave should get the Defender Tactical recoil strap. Hell, the Shockwave should come standard with it! Seriously. It's an ESSENTIAL accessory, IMO.

Last edited:
Have you ever seen the Federal Shorty slugs? Or are they vaporware? Just making sure I understand... Academy sometimes has the Aguila brand? Or Federal, too?

PS: Just looked at academy. Only Aguila and out of stock for all types. I set up an email in-stock notification. I won't be holding my breath, though.

PPS: I just realized that the Aguila minishell slug is really a sabot (smooth sides), and the Federal Shorty slug is a rifled slug. That would seem to be a fairly significant difference, considering the Shockwave barrel is a smoothbore. Yes?

PPPS: ANYone who has a Shockwave should get the Defender Tactical recoil strap. Hell, the Shockwave should come standard with it! Seriously. It's an ESSENTIAL accessory, IMO.
I only use my Shockwave for home defense, so in those short range scenarios (21’ or less), I don’t think I would see a benefit to a rifled slug over non rifled. And if there was a premium price to be paid for either option, then there be NO benefit in my house. Lol. In my experiments at my living room length, even the wad(s) hit the target, and in the case of some NobelSport OO, even penetrated the plywood target backer. Lol

I only use my Shockwave for home defense, so in those short range scenarios (21’ or less), I don’t think I would see a benefit to a rifled slug over non rifled. And if there was a premium price to be paid for either option, then there be NO benefit in my house. Lol. In my experiments at my living room length, even the wad(s) hit the target, and in the case of some NobelSport OO, even penetrated the plywood target backer. Lol

One of my local ranges allows only slugs to be fired from a shotgun. And the target has to be 25 yards away. So, that would be one reason for me to buy them. Just to have something to shoot at this particular range.

One of my local ranges allows only slugs to be fired from a shotgun. And the target has to be 25 yards away. So, that would be one reason for me to buy them. Just to have something to shoot at this particular range.
That would frustrate the bejeezuz out of me. I’m old and live in a small house, so plinking at 25 yards wouldn’t instill any confidence in my ability to put multiple shots into an intruder. My longest unobstructed shot indoors is about 18’ and with the laser saddle, I KNOW that I can put a tube full of lead into whatever the green dot touches. Lol if I had envisioned making 25 yard shots, a shotgun wouldn’t have been my first choice much less the Shockwave. Hell, my Shield MP would be stretching it at 10 yards… lol. Any farther than that and I just hit them with the car…

That would frustrate the bejeezuz out of me. I’m old and live in a small house, so plinking at 25 yards wouldn’t instill any confidence in my ability to put multiple shots into an intruder. My longest unobstructed shot indoors is about 18’ and with the laser saddle, I KNOW that I can put a tube full of lead into whatever the green dot touches. Lol if I had envisioned making 25 yard shots, a shotgun wouldn’t have been my first choice much less the Shockwave. Hell, my Shield MP would be stretching it at 10 yards… lol. Any farther than that and I just hit them with the car…

The local indoor range allows shotguns at any distance 5 - 25 yards, as long as you use buckshot or slugs. The outdoor range stipulates slugs only and only at 25 yards. Their rules.

While I'm normally NOT a fan of lasers for aiming, the Shockwave is a perfect application for an aiming laser. So, I have one installed (as described in previous comments in this thread).

I'm not "envisioning" making 25 yard shots in a home defense scenario with the Shockwave. My house isn't that big, either! LOL! I was just pointing out why I might want some mini-slugs... for fun at the range. Unfortunately, it appears mini-slugs are vaporware. They literally do not exist on the market.

Back