• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

835 ultra mag shoots high

jerry gilmore

Copper BB
I am new to forum, but I read some discussion from 2014. So it seams if 835 shoots high, the front of 835 needs to come down. To bring the front down, the front sight needs to be taller. Do any orf the gun sight companies offer a taller sight?

Or the rear needs to be lower.

It would help if we know what setup you have. Bead, deer sights or turkey sights

Yeah, there's a ton of different sights and beads. Up to and including adding red dots onto the receiver.

Myself though, if it's just shooting high/low, I prefer to just change the front sight.

I'm unsure what thread pitch the 835's are. Seems that I recall that they're the same as the 500. So I'm not sure what to suggest. That would be the first thing you need to find out is the thread pitch. Someone here may know, but if not, I'm sure that mossberg themselves would

Most US made mossbergs are #5-40. I'm unsure what the various imported models have.

If you have a caliper and could measure the height of your current front sight, I'm sure you could find a taller one, which would bring down the patterns some.

There's lots of fiber optic ones, which sit up pretty high. And the ones that sit up the tallest that I know of, are the tritium night sight.

Here are a few examples:

absolute worst case scenario if you need the tallest sight available (if you have a plain barrel).

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for suggestions. my 835 is a hunting 12 ga 26" vent rib all purpose. Pretty sure it takes a 5-40" thread.
( Not sure what that means) I had trueglo magnum gobble dot extreme fiber optic sights, but lost the front sight, so am back to the mossberg white dot front sight. both ways seam to shoot about 6" high at 30 yards. Not much of a way to lower the rear sight, so looking for taller front. I have mounted a green lazer under the barrell, and really like it. Been shoting muskrats early and late in the dark. Not so good in bright sunlight.
I will check out the tritium sights, . I will try to get their phone number and ask about the height, also if the make one for my vent rib. I have already talked to a hi viz technician and he said they did not have any taller front sights.

#5-40 is the size of the screw hole.

Generally, there are 3 main size screws for front sight beads.

3-56, 5-40 and 6-48.

Pretty sure yours is 5-40.

The link that Jmm14534 added above, replaces the rear safety as well as gives you a taller front bead, which using either should help your gun shoot more to the point of aim.

I am new to forum, but I read some discussion from 2014. So it seams if 835 shoots high, the front of 835 needs to come down. To bring the front down, the front sight needs to be taller. Do any orf the gun sight companies offer a taller sight?
I would almost bet the receiver is drilled/tapped for a scope rail. Would be a good excuse to put on a dot sight... :)

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

#5-40 is the size of the screw hole.

Generally, there are 3 main size screws for front sight beads.

3-56, 5-40 and 6-48.

Pretty sure yours is 5-40.

The link that Jmm14534 added above, replaces the rear safety as well as gives you a taller front bead, which using either should help your gun shoot more to the point of aim.

Thanks; that taller front bead would help. I am looking at several options​

I would almost bet the receiver is drilled/tapped for a scope rail. Would be a good excuse to put on a dot sight... :)

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)
The scope rail and dot sight sound like a good Christmas present. If I can't get the sights figured out I may go that route. my gun does have two sets of screws on the receiver, I did not know what they were for. Think the tiny screws might be a bit hard to get out. Thanks for the suggestion.

There should be 4 tiny screws in the top of the receiver. They are slotted/straight screws. Those are the screw holes for a picatinny mount, if you chose to use one.

The scope rail and dot sight sound like a good Christmas present. If I can't get the sights figured out I may go that route. my gun does have two sets of screws on the receiver, I did not know what they were for. Think the tiny screws might be a bit hard to get out. Thanks for the suggestion.

There should be 4 tiny screws in the top of the receiver. They are slotted/straight screws. Those are the screw holes for a picatinny mount, if you chose to use one.

The scope rail IS a Mossberg item and sometimes included with the gun from the factory. But I'm sure you can find something that will fit and be nearly identical in the aftermarket. Do a search on debay for "mossberg 500 scope rail" or something like that.

The screws MIGHT be loctited in. Not a big problem as long as you don't strip the screw heads taking them out. Finding a screwdriver that fits the slots TIGHT is the trick. Use a good amount of force being careful to not let the screwdriver come out of the slot. There is a small chance you might have to heat up the receiver with a heat gun or hairdryer to soften the loctite.

The scope rail you get will probably come with screws IF it is designed for the Mossy. They are likely not common screws you can get at the hardware store and are a "special" fine pitch. You might have to shorten them so they don't protrude into the receiver and affect function and/or damage the bolt. The gun should be disassembled when you fit the rail.

My son got the screws out of the receiver yesterday. I ordered a rail for my 835. I am looking at scopes. Bushnell trophy
trs 25. also looking at Predator v2 reflex sight..
I do not understand much on the difference in these scopes . I am wanting to spend under $100, needs to stand 12 guage turkey loads, and be light weight . There are obviously two different types of scopes.. which would be quickest to get on target, and wider range of view?

I've not used the predator v2 reflex, though it likely has a larger field of view.

The TRS-25, while decent, is barely ~1 inch diameter field of view. If you put the red dot further up the rail up near the barrel, would be faster. More like a scout scope. That gives you a better periphral view of what's around you.

I've used the bushnell on multiple firearms and it's a decent little optic. For a couple bucks more though, the sig romeo red dot (can often be found under $125), is a better sight though. I know it costs a little more, but the battery life is better. And where it has "shake awake" circuitry, you never have to worry about forgetting to turn the scope on in a hurry when you really need it because it activates upon movement. When it's sitting idle, it turns itself off after about a minute of sitting dormant. Thus conserving battery. And the very slightest least movement will turn it on.

There is an older version that bushnell used to make called the bushnell trophy red dot. It had your choice of 4 reticles. My favorite shotgun reticle is the circle dot. It works well for shotgun patterns, I think.

You can often find used ones for under $60. I have several and wish that bushnell hadn't stopped making them. It's a little bigger and heavier than the trs models. But I really like the circle dot reticle better. My eye just doesn't pick up on a tiny dot very fast. Getting old sucks.

Here's how the old bushnell trophy looks, though this one isn't mounted on a shotgun. I have others that are. This is just the first picture I could find of one to show as an example. Pay attention to the description though. Make sure it has the circle dot, or donut reticle as some call it. Some models of this were only made with the small dot.

mSloyMy.jpg

I wanted to give you a different picture for size comparison. Since I brought up a different optic (bushnell trophy) I wanted to show you the size difference between the two.

The bushnell trophy 4 reticle is on the top. The bushnell TRS25 tiny dot on the bottom.

azTdmWs.jpg

Back