• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 SPX tactical lever rifle

Break your lever gun in thoroughly, before you try doing that stuff!

Canada had a gun show 2 months ago (Taccom) and Mossberg was kind enough to send a rep up to entertain us Canadians, I expressed my disappointment that they discontinued the 464/HS12 asked if they were any plans to resurrect the 464 model in the future (none at this time). I also wrote to Mossberg expressing my disappointment in the discontinuation but also that there was no advanced notice.

I am content that I was able to purchase a 464 before the discontinuation.

Not 4 sale.
PXL-20221110-175126237.jpg
Hey, I didn't realize that there were 3 generations of the 464 SPX. I have pictures of mine earlier in this feed. It is a first generation with the rails literally screwed to the side of a plastic forgrip. The second generation ditched the crappy forgrip for an all in one design with three small rail sections, similar to this but with the gen 1 buttstock. What is pictured here is a 3rd generation. It has a better looking buttstock. I prefer my crappy rails and rail covers.

I remember when the 464 SPX first came out, people thought it was an abomination. A tactical lever action makes no sense. Look back in the forums. The comments are still there. I've had this gun since 2016. Just remember, we started this tactical lever action revolution!!!

I am late to this party. 11 or 12 years ago I was hankering for a lever gun. I stopped in a small gun shop Kansas just to look around. Well anyways, the fella had a nice 336 in 30-30 he wanted $275 for. I ended up with the rifle and 2 boxes of ammo for like $315 including taxes. It's a JM stamped gun from 03 or 04. One of the last Marlins, sounds like a movie title, lol.

I have since stopped in there many times. I usually end up with a couple of boxes of ammo at the least. That rifle still resides with me.

I've always kind of wanted a lever action rifle. For me it's a symbol of the old wild west cowboy days. It doesn't look like Mossberg has any viable options any more, and I know S&W just came out with their new 1854 lever action special, but I've been looking hard at Henry repeating rifles. One in 45-70 would round out the personal collection nicely. https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/all-weather-picatinny-rail-45-70/

But then I'd need a horse...and a saddle....and boots......

I've always kind of wanted a lever action rifle. For me it's a symbol of the old wild west cowboy days. It doesn't look like Mossberg has any viable options any more, and I know S&W just came out with their new 1854 lever action special, but I've been looking hard at Henry repeating rifles. One in 45-70 would round out the personal collection nicely. https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/all-weather-picatinny-rail-45-70/

But then I'd need a horse...and a saddle....and boots......
Ruger took over the Marlin assets and are remarketing their lever-actions... We have a little Henry .22. Was malfunctioning a little last time at the range so it is in the queue for inspection maintenance eventually. It is NOT dirty at all... :(

My uncle (who is over 80) wants to give me a Winchester 1873 32-20 I worked on for him a few years back. Will give us a good excuse to burn up the last of the ammo and shoot other guns and ammo at the range.

I have one of the Ruger-Marlin lever guns in .45-70 government.

Perhaps it is not the same quality as the Marlins of old, but it is a lot of fun to shoot.

I bought the dies for it, and I made a few custom loads, but I haven’t done enough shooting with it to really dial things in.

If you need to stop a charging bull, this is the gun to have. At least among my collection. It’s really just half a notch below a .50cal elephant gun.

@Husker88, I have one of those Henry's you speak of. It is a Brass big lever version. Not only is it fun to shoot, a bit hard on the shoulder, but looks mighty fine too. Forget the horse and boots though. You'll need those dollars for ammo and brass polish, LOL.

Everyone has a lever action a shot show right now. I've seen at least 6 new models from different companies. They were all at least $1000-$1400 dollars. It would seem that Mossberg would make a killing on a semi-cheap lever action. Too bad they quit offering them.

Last edited:
Back