• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag Pump Action Troubleshooting

May just need a good cleaning and oiling. It can get a build up of lead, burned powder and dirt. Also break it down and look at the bolt.

Sent with my modified D2G running TapTalk.

Blackhawk 835 Ulti-Mag 12 gauge 10+1, quick point limbsaver and spec-ops recoil reducing stock with tri-rail, laser, light and bipod.

Thanks NASA I'll take a look tonight. Anything I should be careful with when breaking it down past taking the barrel off?

Don't take the trigger assembly apart. Check out 500 assembly on youtube.

Sent with my modified D2G running TapTalk.

Blackhawk 835 Ulti-Mag 12 gauge 10+1, quick point limbsaver and spec-ops recoil reducing stock with tri-rail, laser, light and bipod.

^^^ What nasa said is true. I actually had to feild strip mine last night. i had a ftf and the wad was stuck in the choke, and two pieces of shot got lodged inside the action and jambed it up. so i just took it apart. it took a little while only because i had never taken it apart before. so there's a learning process to it. once you figure out where things went, it's all good.

be aware of how it looks before you take out the cartridge interrupter and stop, they face certain direction. also the bolt slide is directional too. if you need to, take pix of it before you disassemble for your own reference.
also, next to the bolt there is a small part that slides into a groove on the side of the bolt, and there is a hole for the ejector screw. that, to me was a pain to get back in and stay seated to get the screw inserted. it is not shown in the video so just some fyi.

so...good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:
^^ Thanks! I followed this video and it was a great help. Like you said it's not a big deal once you get in there and know where everything goes.

Once I was in there I found a lot of powder and build up. The most being on top of the bolt. As far as I can tell the Bolt looks ok to me, so still not sure if that is why it wasn't ejecting the shell. Could the bolt maybe be getting old and for some reason be pushing the cartridge to far into the barrel?

I am sure cleaning all of this out has helped immensely. Once again thanks for all the suggestions and help.

The cartridge can't go to far into the chamber. Either the little dogs that grab the shell on the bolt were dirty, or some build ip in the chamber causing the shells to stick. Just about the only thing left would have been the screw loose on the ejector. That is probably not an issue or it should have jammed. When it fails, field strip it, clean it and lube it. Makes it last for a long time. Glad to know it's working for you.

So...how did it work after you cleaned it?

okay then keep us informed will be looking forward to it..

I got out shooting yesterday and didn't have a single issue other than no birds were flying. I didn't run to many shells through it but what I did they ejected nice and easy!

From everything I can tell it seems to me that there may have just been too much carbon build up in the bolt area and probably on the teeth that pull the empty out.

Thanks again!

Anytime....I'm here to help not hinder, I do that to my wife. :)

I'm doing a trouble shoot on my 835. When I shoot the empty won't eject. I have to use a rod to pop out the empty.

Here's a pic of the bolt.

2011-12-04232814.jpg

I'm wondering if both ejectors should look the same? Note the one on the left is sharp the one on the right is kind of curved.

Here's a look from it flipped over.

2011-12-04232742.jpg

Please let me know. I've owned the gun for about 15 years. I've had it in the gun cabinet for a few years cause I haven't been able to fix it yet. Thought about it tonight so I thought I would get it working again.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

What is the little raised part on one side? I never noticed that before. kind of looks like in these pics that it might be interfering with holding the shell. Can't tell from the pic if it is in the way of the shell.

Maybe that is just shadow.

This sounds a little like the problem I was having before I completely took mine apart and cleaned it. However it wasn't happening every time on mine and hasn't been happening since but I will take mine apart tonight and see if maybe my ejectors are starting to look at all like that.

Just purchased an 835 with a 24" barrel Im having an issue loading shells, (2 3/4) i can load one in the chamber and and only 2 in the magazine is there an issue with the gun or a restrictor? I had a 500 before and it would accept 6 2 3/4 shells no problem, what do i need to do?

Yep. There be a stick a jambin you up. You need to unscrew the cap on it and remove the spring then a dowel should fall out. It's there only to keep you from loading more than 2 in it for turkey hunting regulation purposes only. If you plan on hunting turkey with it. Leave it in the tube.

And howdy and welcome to the club! Got any pix of it you'd like to share?

I'm new to the board, hopefully someone here can help me out! I have searched the board and couldn't find this specific area addressed anywhere.

I have been turkey and duck hunting with my 835 "Ulti-Mag" for around 12 years now, and it has been a great gun until last year. I have been having an issue with it not firing every time. Last year I clicked on a turkey at 25 steps and I almost left the gun beside the tree I was leaning on! After the turkey flew off, I ejected the shell and noticed that the primer had only a very small indentation on it where the firing pin hit it.

Cooler heads prevailed, and I took it home and removed the bolt and soaked it for several hours in Hoppes #7 solvent to try to get rid of any grime that might be impeding the firing pins action. I cleaned it up and reassembled the gun and shot 16 rounds through it just fine. All of the primers seemed to have a relatively deep indentation. Round number 17 clicked and upon my inspection I noticed it had done the same thing - left a small indentation in the primer. Round number 18 fired, but round number 19 did not.

I am planning to replace the firing pin and possibly the firing pin spring if I can get the bolt disassembled. I have been researching the removal of the firing pin all over the internet, but I have not been able to find much help. I am having trouble removing the bolt lock pin and the firing pin retaining pin. The only help I have been able to find is this video on the disassembling of a Mossberg 590 bolt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyU5egptBIw
I have tried using a punch and hammer on both of the pins as he shows in the video, but I have not had any success in getting either to budge. I am worried that if I hit it too hard it may mushroom on the end. Has anyone ever successfully accomplished this and can offer any suggestions/tricks? If so, do you think that my problem lies in one of these two parts: the firing pin itself or its spring? If not, any ideas on what might be causing this malfunction?

Thanks

835 action slide release problem

Hello, I need help. My older never fired 835 has an Action Slide Release which does not lock the slide forward unless I slam the pump forward. I also notice the release button (next to the trigger) does not extend all the way out. Nor is there a positive detent when it does move. When locked, you can still extend it out more with your finger. The gun is still in unfired condition, but I think it is 10 years old or so. Blued with wood stocks and some engraved receiver. What is wrong with it and how can I repair it?

Back