• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Recent content by bacon

1. B

Help with "bluing" copper plated steel

And here are some originals. Decent overall for a nearly 80yo farm rifle. Stock was tired but not beat up. Barrel and hard parts were pitted, neglected and dirty, but straight and solid.
  2. B

I did in fact do the stock. I did all the polishing and everything other than the bluing. I was shocked when I put the first coat of finish on it. Neither the original finish nor the sanded raw wood showed all that grain character that came through. Lots of coats, lots of patience. Here she is...
  3. B

Got all my parts back from bluing today. The previously copper part in question blued up beautifully so I still don't understand the copper. I wish the pictures could show the quality - they are so much more beautiful in person. It's damn near mirror black. Makes all that sanding and polishing...
  4. B

Took a while but I got the copper plating off. Pretty hard to get a nice finish on the inside, but it'll be covered up anyway. Looks like regular steel to me and seemed to take the little cold blue I touched to the bottom so it's still a bit of a mystery why it was coated like this. It may come...
  5. B

No. I had to take off a decent amount of material to get through some pitting and one thing led to the next and now most of the parts are near mirror polish. Paint would look like real dog feces next to the mirrored bluing. Im tring to make it look original, but better - like a restomod I...
  6. B

Hmm, i guess that's a possibility but ive worked with a fair amount of black oxide parts in my career and they never looked like this. Age and patina could play a part in that, but im still skeptical. I think im going to try sanding/grinding a little more agressively on the base of the part...
  7. B

If you look at the second picture I posted, it was originally dark like it was blued. Since it's a restoration and I already have considerable time invested in polishing and detail work, I want to get it as close to original as possible
  8. B

Hi all - new here and first time posting. I have a Mossberg 46B-B from the 40s that I have been restoring and I was about to bring all the metal bits in for bluing. Problem is, one of the parts (the base/elevator for the rear site) turned out to be copper plated under the original "bluing"...
Back