• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Recent content by mikeoso

1. M

#3 Buckshot?

It's what I keep mine loaded with; 20 pellets of .25 caliber moving at 1200 fps...fired from my 500C with the 18.5" barrel it patterns about 4" at 5 yards and 8.5" at 10 yards. Seems adequate to me. I wouldn't use it on bear or moose, but we almost never have any of them breaking into homes here.
  2. M

New to Shotguns: HD Platform Design

I'm a relative newbie to shotguns, but have a long experience with firearms and tactical shooting. I start from the fact that HD is NOT combat. HD is that home invader/burglar/whatever in the middle of the night, inside the house, when he's awake and you're at least half asleep. So, what you...
  3. M

Machetes

Now for something completely different... I found this WWII USMC bolo in a junk shop. It had damaged grips, a rusty blade, and a dried out scabbard; these units are famous for being heavy and awkward, and I have use for something I can use to lop branches in tight quarters; so I rebuilt the...
  4. M

What IS tactical?

TACTICAL TYPES Let me preface this by saying that it's going to make some people really mad. Let me also say that I know this stuff from long experience of all of these types of folks. I have been a Marine in combat. I have been an instructor at a law enforcement academy. I have been around guns...
  5. M

The Future of Mossberg? I hope not...

Perhaps...but it's more commonly applied to one of the complications of malaria, in which the kidneys fail.
  6. M

Iowa

Eastern IA here...between Iowa City and Muscatine. I live in the country, and go out in the back yard to shoot, unless what I'm shooting at happens to run into the front yard, or the driveway, or...OK, you get it. I also have a little 60 yard range backed up against an old barn, with a backstop...
  7. M

One of my sons is now a Marine

well, let me just tell you about the Old Corps :lol: I enlisted in June of '67
  8. M

Taurus / Rossi Firearms

This is the only handgun I've ever owned. It's a Model 82 with the 3" heavy barrel. I bought it new in 1973 for $65 at Jensen's in Tucson. It's never given me a bit of trouble and shoots a lot better than I do. Put it alongside my 20 gauge Model 500 and my Ruger 10/22, and I feel like I have...
  9. M

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Accessories...

It's a Butler Creek Quick Carry. Very simple...one-hand adjustment, comes with Uncle Mike's swivels, and costs about $20.
  10. M

Model Identification Help: Which Mossberg 500 Do I Have?

My 20 ga. is marked only 500C. It was in a pawn shop, and had the 24" ported rifled barrel, and a synthetic stock with two different butt-pads and a spacer. I'm assuming from the stock that it's a Super Bantam. I guess they don't mark them differently? I put the thicker buttpad and the spacer...
  11. M

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Accessories...

I'm not experienced with shotguns, but I have about 50 years of experience with firearms, including combat. I acquired my first shotgun last month, and it's strictly for HD/yard security use. I replaced the rifled 24" barrel with an 18.5" and added a sling and a small light. The stock was...
  12. M

Sililarities/Differences from Standard 500

I have changed barrels on a Super Bantam, and a regular 500 barrels does fine...in fact, the barrel mine came with (24" rifled/ported) is a 500 option barrel.
  13. M

it's a pretty good thing...

OK, I admit when I got this I didn't even know it WAS a Super Bantam. I've never owned a shotgun before. It was a 20 ga Mossberg, and that was sufficient. However, as I've messed with it and read other posts, I've come to think it may be a great deal more than just a youth/small person's gun...
  14. M

wildlife in the front yard

I took this pic from my front window today. These ladies were 15 feet from my porch at noon, grazing gradually down-slope toward the creek. The whole flock that gathers back in my timber amounts to a couple dozen when they all roost up together.
  15. M

Range Bags and Carry Cases

looking for a specific case Here's what I'm looking for, and I hope someone knows where I can find it. 1.soft case for my 20 ga 500, 1A black color 2. able to hold it with either the 24" or 18" barrel mounted 2A. without a lot of unused extra length... it looks like 44" inside will...
Back