• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rifled slug barrel

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Finally got my slug barrel set up on my 930. I got this barrel in trade from another forum member some time back.

PXL_20220908_191936681.jpg

Got it on paper. I was shooting rifled slugs because I cant afford the current price if sabot slugs. I could hit a 4' x4' piece af cardboard at 100 yards most of the time but grouping was not good.

I've seen some guys that get good results but I did not.

Anyway, its set up for when I do find some decent ammo to dial it in.

PXL_20220908_191929989.jpg

Make sure the scope is on tight. All the screws and bolts tight. No wiggle or wobble.

With that said, you'll probably get better results using Brenneke super and super magnum sabot slugs are supposed to 3 moa slugs.

I figured my reply would be redundant. I expected that you would have already checked, but it never hurts to mention it.

@John A. I appreciate it. I once spent hours trying to sight in a muzzleloader only to find out the reticle was loose in the scope and thats why I kept chasing the bullseye . I thought it was my powder charge.

Learned my lesson to inspect everything.

Yeah, I understand.

Let's just say, some mistakes I have made, I didn't need to repeat twice before I learned my lesson.

Try some different slugs. Chances are it is like regular centerfire rifles. 1 specific ammo may shoot sub MOA in one rifle, and shoot shotgun patterns in another.
I just picked up a 500 with a cantilever slug barrel. I sighted it in with some factory loads at 50 yards and got pretty large groups.
I switched to some of my home cast/loaded slugs and the group size dropped to about half. I could cover all 5 shots with the palm of my hand.

Back