• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 183K ??

Steve P

Copper BB
Hello follow Mossberg fans- New member here looking for a little guidance. Growing up in Wisconsin, I was introduced to hunting, fishing and other outdoor activities early in life. Over the years I gathered a fairly nice gun collection. Some years ago I had a life change and moved to the west coast that has little to no hunting. The guns were collecting dust so I passed them on to my Son. Over the many years the bolt for my Mossberg 183K went missing.(burns me) The gun sits in the corner of the safe crying to be whole again. It's too nice of shotgun to be forgotten and parted out. The history- dates - ect of the Mossberg 183 series is a little sketchy especially the interchangeability of parts. Wikipedia has a list on the 183 and mentions the183K is similar to the D series with the addition of the C-Lect- Choke. It also says the newer 183K-A has a firing pin design change. Don't know if this information is correct or not. I have been keeping my eye out for a replacement bolt but never see any for the 183K. Might anyone know if bolts from any of the other 183 series would fit the183K ? Sure would like to have a bolt fit with the first purchase.

Many Thanks
Steve

I'm sure someone will be by to comment who has more info than I. There is Havlin Sales, a friend of the forum, gunbroker, and a number of other parts sites you might try.

Welcome Aboard! :)

A way to check would be to google parts diagrams for you model and the one a replacement bolt comes from. Havlins would also answer your question. I have gone to parts suppliers web pages and checked parts number to get matches. Bolts with different part numbers may still interchange though.

First, welcome to the forums!
Second, according to the Havlin's book on Mossbergs, parts between 183 models were not interchangeable. So you are looking for a 183K bolt. I did some quick searching and came up empty for that particular bolt. There are more places for me to look and I might get lucky. I will come back and post either way.
20230110_162354.jpg

phinfan - Thx a bunch. For a twist - Unbeknownst to me my Son had sent Havlin an email . Here is the response-
"we do not have a bolt here, but these models will interchange
183K, KA, DC and DB - the other bolts may work with fitting - best to get one that is the exact same as your model
We have none in stock, but at least this will give you other options to search for"
Havlin Sales

99% sure it is a 183K

I did another quick search, this time on eBay. I came up with two. But as the Havlins say, they may need fitting.

Well man, as of about 5 min ago, I have exhausted all of my parts sources.
Truly sorry I have come up empty for you.
Who would have thought those bolts would be so scarce?

Phinfan- Thanks so much for looking - one will show up sooner or later - Hope to find a K or DC. They seem to be going for $125+. Starting to wonder if putting $150 into it is a wise move.

Maybe there is someone on GB that will let you just buy the parts you need off their gun, especially if the gun isn't all that great (or expensive). That way you/they don't have to worry about an FFL. You just buy all the parts WITHOUT the receiver...

Another potential source for a parts gun is Every Gun Part. They have an ever changing nventory of demilled guns and an online inventory listing. If you don't see something suggest you contact them and let them know what you're looking for.

Good Luck!

Saw this on an auction site.

Attachments

• 4016C2BB-9E30-4DB4-910E-37C74E374B6A.jpeg
    4016C2BB-9E30-4DB4-910E-37C74E374B6A.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 9
THX Guys- I'm in no real hurry so I'm being picky. pinfan- wonder what happen to that one on ebay. Too much of a gamble I think.

I have several old Mossbergs, among them a 183KE. I love the little guy!!
I do not hunt, but living on a farm firearms are essential tools.

Parts for old Mossbergs are often hard to find. Good luck in your search.

Back