• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Well some other things came up and so still there is no trailer light.

Also I conked out early yesterday, and I didn’t get any welding done yesterday.

I did get all the patches cut out, and most of them are now fitted to the holes and ready to weld.

7BD6C156-8013-4EFB-8FEC-99652070C43B.jpeg

5C2900D1-F04B-433D-903A-92C362559368.jpeg

23092271-ACAC-4CE6-A418-3E369CF7E774.jpeg

FBFBDD1B-3039-40AF-92EC-7F9A723AD076.jpeg
I still just have the two smallest ones to shape and fit, and then there will be some pictures of welding ;)

Good day all of yous.

June 6th, D-Day. I cannot even imagine what it would have been like on those beaches 79 years ago. Those were men with a patriotic purpose that will probably never be duplicated. They knew in their hearts that many of them were being sent to a certain death, and yet they never waivered, they charged to truly save the world. Thank god for those men on that day. May they never be forgotten.

Good day all of yous.

June 6th, D-Day. I cannot even imagine what it would have been like on those beaches 79 years ago. Those were men with a patriotic purpose that will probably never be duplicated. They knew in their hearts that many of them were being sent to a certain death, and yet they never waivered, they charged to truly save the world. Thank god for those men on that day. May they never be forgotten.
Meanstreak, I read an atricle today about a Delta Airline iniative to fly several D-day veterans to Normandy. Below is a link. But the best part of the article is a picture of them waiting to board and holding name tags. These "men of their day" were mostly volunteers and still proud of their accomplishments. They truely did change the world!

It would have been great to be on this trip and to listen to their memories. I suspect they are all in their mid 90's!

Last edited:
I have all those 9 parts ground down and tacked down and welded from both sides.
8B27ADB4-9893-4CBF-BA4A-711E04C01395.jpeg
I would say that the welding on these is done, except that there are a few boo-boos where I will have to drill out pits and re-weld.
CF4C78B1-026E-4827-A525-78EC64FA723D.jpeg
I am going to clean this up with a grinder, but I don’t have to shave all the stuff down flush. There is a clearance on both sides of the frame rail.

These are some of the nicer looking patches.
CE33B2B2-AEB6-4E7C-8432-525936E00055.jpeg

FE8D81E0-8D66-4B03-82BD-3AEE7178B08B.jpeg

This was the largest one and also had the most clearance. I laid in quite a bit of 1/8” wire.
F1C98AF9-989E-49CF-82E8-82BE2078FDAE.jpeg

I might have to really shave down a localized spot here or there if it interferes with my crossmembers, and there will be a continuous bottom tube welded to each rail.

These old floorboards will be used to box & brace the rails. They both need holes filled. (7 each)
AF293979-8892-416A-B08A-71837E727748.jpeg

One of them needs a patch, which will come from a corner of the old shifter quadrant.

I also have some other minor divots in these, and in the frame rails. They will get patches from the same quadrant.

After the grinding and wire wheeling it all looked very solid and I only found a few minor pits and minor under cutting.

You can see deep die marks from the patch, even after grinding and wire brushing, which are some of those rusty lines in there old material.
B18814D0-F294-4661-B40D-BBE6F32A13DF.jpeg
The bend radius on the patch was different, and it looks like I have ground the middle thin, but that is not the case.

The bottom side:
123FC0FF-CF13-482C-AA18-0F40A7217D88.jpeg
The ends will need attention too. This was not a class a stamping.
00AA9281-7839-4424-B7EA-3EE0BB0883DD.jpeg

Good morning Mossberg Owners.
I pooped out early yesterday, or I would have posted the obligatory welding photos.

I had too much smoke from the welding.
I wasn’t paying attention to my setup when I was repositioning the work. I got a welding magnet on the other side too hot. I cooked the plastic paint, and it gassed me out. One whiff of that stuff and I was snorting oxygen to relieve the effects.
I shuffled around with a headache making dinner and conked out early.

Got some much appreciated rain up here,yesterday and today, but that didn’t stop the crew I had cutting down the last tree that could theoretically land on my house in a storm. ( at least from on my lot,lol) A nice healthy western red cedar about 10 feet off the corner of the house, which was no big deal when we planted it 40 years ago. I had watched them take down a big rotten weeping willow in my neighbors yard the day before and casually asked the head guy how much to do mine. The number he threw out was less than any previous bid, as I just wanted it cut down and I would take care of everything else. He said they would come back at 8am to fill their early Friday’s off habit. 8am was announced by their backing beeper in the driveway. They got out their equipment and headed for the backyard. The boss geared up and asked if I was sure I didn’t want all the debris cleaned up,etc, since they were there, so I asked how much, and he said whatever I felt was fair. Done. He hit the tree, trimmed off the branches as he ascended as his crew drug them to the front yard and chipped them up. After running out of tree near the top, he started back down, dropping 5’ sections as he went, ending at my preferred height of about 15’. Everything was cleaned up with a rake and blower, the log sections rolled into a neat pile, and because I wanted the chips for mulch, they backed the truck over closer to the flower beds and dumped them in a neat pile. They packed up, I hand him some bills and they were gone, 9:25am. Fantastic crew and an unexpected result for the price I paid.

I had too much smoke from the welding.

FYI/PSA: Welding galvanized or zinc-plated steels can be especially dangerous because the fumes are toxic! :eek: I've held my breath while welding thousands of times to avoid the smoke of galvy or paint. I usually grind the coatings off to avoid the fumes but sometimes you just can't. I DO have a respirator I can use...

This is a lil' po' boy forge I made to heat treat/harden a forming cone of about 1-1/4" dia. tool steel. Knowing I would be coming close to the paint of this repurposed work table drawer support, and not knowing what delicious chemicals it contained, I opted to grind it down to bare metal at the soon-to-be hot spots both front and back (with N95 mask on). I don't have a rosebud tip for my O/A so I just used the cutting head (w/o cutting).

PS: that cone was heated a bit hotter than shown before quench.

foge1.jpg foge2.jpg

I worked for two years as an engineer, in a shop where they welded galvanized all day long with MIG. So there was yellow smut around every weld, and big fans running all over the shop.

But I learned about welding galvanized way before that, the first time I made something from EMT with o/a.

I feel like there is something wrong when a guy who is retired decides he needs a vacation.

I bought some new submersible LED lifetime warranty tail lights for my boat trailer, and I intend to get them installed today, because next week I’m going to take off fishing.

Perhaps I will fish every day until I am so sick of fishing and I will be happy to go back to welding and grinding and painting.

Or maybe I’ll just take a vacation from working on the cars and garden projects and build myself a new aquarium stand. The thing is I want it to be stainless steel and I’ve only welded stainless steel once or twice before so it will be an adventure.

I did some welding without sleeves and got a nice sunburn so, I know better than to do that. It’s one of those stupid things where you think, “oh I’m just gonna make a couple tack welds” and then you see something and decide to throw down some more metal, and before you know it you’ve got lobster arms.

This is the great danger of Tig welding. It doesn’t make any splatter, so your bare arms aren’t warning you that they’re getting hit with Sparks and you should stop and put on your leather.

So today’s message is: remember your protective gear and know when it’s time to take off and go fishing.

Good morning to all of yous. Sunny and 66 this morning. High later about 82. This is very nice weather for this time of year.

Have a great day and be safe.

Congratulations on the new motorcycle @meanstreak. You guys are supposed to get some more tornadoes this week, so lock it down well!

I’ve been toying with the idea of an electric bike for a long time.

But the truth is the traveling has become much less important than working on my projects at home.

I worked a bit straightening and began cleanup work on my frame rails for the project car.
3FF2CD11-B555-40F5-880E-B635F028E7F8.jpeg

I got the lights fixed on my boat trailer, but mostly I’ve just been puttering around here with my tropical fish, and irrigating the trees. I’m so happy that we didn’t lose these trees during the drought.

I planted these five redwoods in 2003. I probably don’t have another 20 years left in my life to grow new ones.
F6268046-C8AE-4F06-8072-367852F1A2DE.jpeg

I’ve been helping Judy with her garden things and the place is looking just gorgeous.
F5D746B9-265C-4E6A-B10A-285B032FC93E.jpeg

39DC1176-6E85-4556-9C82-9261A4D18B9E.jpeg

The weather here has been strange. It doesn’t get misty in the mornings in the desert in June.
9A323EB4-7B34-4EBA-9B12-3DCB2607A189.jpeg

I went to the optometrist and ordered new eyeglasses yesterday, and I went to the stockbroker and canceled all my withholding taxes.

I’m at the point where my tax liability is so low they should be sending me money. Once they figure this out they’ll probably just raise my Medicare.

You will have a great day and I hope you guys in the Midsouth don’t get blasted too bad. I heard some places got torrential hail storms in Texas.

Back