• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Search results

1. B

Best finish that is less $

Thanks everyone, I just got done cleaning my gun after shooting and found light rust on the takedown bolt for the barrel. I am such a rust phobic that I clean after every shooting or once a week when I don't shoot. But it seems like the rust bug finds me no matter how much I clean. I even use a...
  2. B

Best finish that is less $

I have a Maverick 88 and will be using it for deer hunting this year, my camo rifle had to be sold to pay some bills and fix the car. I have searched but decided to ask those that have done it, what is the best finish for the money to put on a shotgun? I can't afford a custom job so I will be...
  3. B

Mav. 88 shootin high?

Update: I found with the J.M Fiocchi 7/8 slugs that at around 40-50 yards I was 6" high with good groups but I set up at around 80-100 and they were much closer to the center. I also decided to take half the fiber optic bead and when I did that they centered at 40-50 and I will take a whole bead...
  4. B

88 vs 590 a1 tactical?

It is the 7+1, I do prefer the 18.5 barrel but not gonna argue about that at the $150 price.
  5. B

88 vs 590 a1 tactical?

Well another update, I know he is a true friend giving me the deal he did, I also trusted him and paid him before seeing the gun. So he brings the gun to me and right away a problem sort of that I will tell in a few. The gun looks brand new but of course only 10 rounds thru it, the scratch isn't...
  6. B

88 vs 590 a1 tactical?

Ok, thought I would update. I still hadn't decided then a friend came by and talked me into a new route. He just bought a Maverick 88 18.5 and put 10 shots through it of slugs and it is accurate. He wants that 590 because he said he wants to starts doing shotgun shoots around and even tho the...
  7. B

88 vs 590 a1 tactical?

It is the 18.5 inch 590.
  8. B

88 vs 590 a1 tactical?

My local shop and I was on the phone yesterday, they said that they had some shotgun deals and knowing I like shotguns decided to let me know. They have an 88 with 20 inch barrel, 18.5 inch barrel or 28 inch barrel all are old stock. Choice on the 88's were $220 otd, they also have a 590 a1...
  9. B

swivel stud tightness?

I just got my second Maverick 88 security, it cam with swivel studs installed but not lined up. I got the stock easy but the one on the mag tube is not as much. I couldn't get the short one to fit straight even with a thin washer so I used the next size length up with a thin nut and washer. Now...
  10. B

Questions on new Maverick 88's??

Thanks and several years ago this would have bothered me and i would have tried something. But as I have got older and a recent health scare, I have decided not to sweat the small stuff. The gun cycles and shoots great which is the most important, I just thought it was strange that two guns have...
  11. B

Ok this is the best I can get it, look at the inside edge, you can see the roughness. Oh I forgot to mention the Maverick came with two swivel studs installed, I took the upper off because I have to align it up even and need to work on that.
  12. B

I have tried but just like looking at it with my eye, can't see the roughness with a phone pic. It's not shiny at all and can be felt with a finger and it will snag a q-tip slightly. The feel is like very fine sandpaper. I will keep trying and post one if I can get a right angle.
  13. B

I went and got my 18.5 Maverick 88 security today, came in after just two days. Everything is great on it but I noticed something on it as I also did the 20" barrel. At the end of the barrel on both, it was rough to where a Q-tip would snag, blued good but rough on the one I took back and this...
  14. B

I have decided to take it back tomorrow, I have another 18.5 and just want the same in case I decide to add barrels or when small game hunting I have plenty of mag plugs for the 5+1. The gun is nice but I just like the look of the 18.5. thanks
  15. B

Thought I would update. I got a call this morning from my local shop, an 88 they had ordered came in. They said it was 18.5 inch barrel and had perfect stock to receiver fit. I went and they brought the box out and I pushed the plastic back and yep perfect stock to receiver fit. I asked how much...
  16. B

I am gonna get another Maveriick 88 security 18.5 inch barrel, I have saved enough for even a 590 but I decided on another 88 and more ammo. I went to my local store and saw a few 88's that however leave me with a few question as all 4 were new but different and with a few same flaws. Two had...
  17. B

Mav. 88 shootin high?

Eye level with receiver and fiber optic sight dead center on target.
  18. B

Mav. 88 shootin high?

I recently bought my second Maverick 88 18.5 inch barrel defense shotgun. My eyes far away are as sharp as an eagles but up close i need glasses or something bright to aim. I put a Hi Viz snap on tactical sight on my gun, i like the tactical model as it has metal inside the plastic. When i fired...
  19. B

Maverick 88 stock loose?

I just bought a new Maverick 88 security, took it out and fired about 20 rounds of slugs and buckshot and it shot and functioned great. However after cleaning and tightening the barrel nut back on, I noticed the stock moved slightly. This is a brand new gun and the stock is loose, could this be...
  20. B

new 88 that's different

I bought a new 88 home defense 18.5 inch barrel about 6 months ago and it has a shiny bolt, blotchy blueing on barrel but still good and a not shinny but not dull stock and forend. Today I went and bought another as an extra at home. I went to pick it up and it has a beautiful dark blue barrel...
Back