• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

00 Flite Control v. 00 Buckshot

Centuriator

.270 WIN
I wanted to try out Federal Flite Control 00 Buckshot out of my Mossberg 590A1, 18.5" Barrel, v. Remington 00 Buckshot.

I shot both rounds at 15 yards, 25 yards and at 33 yards (the furthest back I could do in my shooting bay. The results are interesting. I've posted comparison photos of the Flite Control 00 Buck and non-Flite Control 00 Buck at 15, 25 and 33 yards. I used the same target for 25 and 33 on the Flite Control, hits differentiated by orange and black pasters.

15 Yards Flite Control

15 Yards Flite Control.jpg

15 Yards 00 Buckshot
00 Buck 15 Yards.jpg

25 Yards Flite Control (Orange Dots)

33 Yards Flite Control.jpg

25 Yards 00 Buckshot
25 Yards 00 Buck.jpg

33 Yards Flite Control (Black Dots)

33 Yards 00 Buckshot

33 Yards 00 Buck.jpg

Attachments

• 33 Yards Flite Control.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 3
The other point to be made, regardless of what is being used, is we must work hard to dispel the myth that a shotgun is a "point and shoot" weapon that does not require aiming. I run across this all the time and Hollywood has done much to perpetuate this myth.

The other point to be made, regardless of what is being used, is we must work hard to dispel the myth that a shotgun is a "point and shoot" weapon that does not require aiming. I run across this all the time and Hollywood has done much to perpetuate this myth.

Do you hunt rabbits and shoot skeet? Take time to aim and you will never hit anything.

Do you hunt rabbits and shoot skeet? Take time to aim and you will never hit anything.

That's interesting...you don't have to worry about where you are pointing the shotgun at all when you hunt rabbits and shoot skeet? You can just blast away in a general direction with no thought of where the lead is going?

Hmmmmm...I have not heard that before.

You are quite totally and no doubt intentionally missing the whole point of this post to begin with. I'm not discussing birdshot, skeet shooting or hunting poor little cute rabbits! :)

Last edited:
Imagine if you could buy those FliteControl wads (for reloading) without buying the entire shell. Take care. Tom Worthington

Does Federal sell the FliteControl wads separately? If they do, I imagine that reloaders would have a of fun experimenting with custom loads that way.

That's interesting...you don't have to aim when you shoot rabbits or skeet? You don't have to worry about where you are pointing the shotgun at all? You can just blast away, with no thought of where the lead is going? Hmmmmm...I have not heard that before.

There is a big difference between pointing and aiming. You may aim when whatever you are shooting at is stationary, but learning to point will get them when they are moving.. At least that is how it has been done for the 60 years I have hunted in IL and Iowa.

There is a big difference between pointing and aiming. You may aim when whatever you are shooting at is stationary, but learning to point will get them when they are moving.. At least that is how it has been done for the 60 years I have hunted in IL and Iowa.

The point of this thread is not about shooting skeet or bunnies, and even in those cases you don't just point the shotgun in a general direction hopeful for a hit. We do not need a lecture on "pointing" a shotgun...but in fact, you still make my point. You must point it in the right place.

While there are certainly attributes of flight control for longer range shooting I think there is trade off at shorter distances. For home defense, where engagement ranges are typically under 7 yards traditional buckshot, with a one inch expansion per yard, might produce better results in my opinion.

From what I've experienced flight control spread at longer distances is about one half that of traditional buckshot. At short distances the wad and shot are essentially going through the same hole.

Question for the OP - at what distance did you begin to see shot spread from the flight control buckshot?

Regards

Last edited:
While there are certainly attributes of flight control for longer range shooting I thing there is trade off at shorter distances. For home defense, where engagement ranges are typically under 7 yards traditional buckshot, with a one inch expansion per yard, might produce better results in my opinion.

From what I've experienced flight control spread at longer distances is about one half that of traditional buckshot. At short distances the wad and shot are essentially going through the same hole.

Question for the OP - at what distance did you begin to see shot spread from the flight control buckshot?

Regards

Yes, I was hopeful somebody might notice this....

I agree. Just look at how tight the group is at 15 yards - 15 yards - And it would get tighter the closer you get. At 7 yards you would get effectively one large jagged hole. Effective? Sure, but ...

I think a good case could be made for 00 Buck without FliteControl if you were absolutely sure you would not need to be using it much past 15 yards. And for non-LEO, I think most of us would not be using a shotgun past 15 yards in a defensive situation.

And one could also argue that you actually want some spread from 00 Buckshot for it to be as effective as possible in shorter spaces. Not to be too graphic, but the more holes, the more blood, the faster the threat is stopped.

So, I think the spreads demonstrated could well suggest FliteControl is NOT the best choice for any number of situations.

As for maximum spread....I noticed that at 33 yards, as long as I kept it on center mass the spread was still very effective (see the photo above of FliteControl at 33 yards). However...I didn't put this image up, but at 33 yards, I went for a head shot with Flite Control (ghost ring sights) and while 6 of the pellets were literally in the head, pretty tight, two missed entirely, so ....

I will try at longer ranges when I switch over to a longer bay at our gun club. I should be able to get nearly a 50 yard shot just to see what happens, I suspect at 50 the FliteControl will not hold the group to the body only. And I'd question the wisdom of engaging a threat with a shotgun at 50 yards with any kind of buckshot, in a typical civilian scenario where you are not in a "free fire" zone.

One of the issues you will find at longer distances, beyond unacceptable spread, is the loss of velocity by buckshot, even with flight control ammo. Thus the penetration of a person wearing heavier layers of clothing or larger threat is suspect. Yes, flight control ammo may reach out and touch them at longer distances but will it inflict acceptable damage.

I personally haven't see acceptably buckshot results beyond 25 yards. Beyond that range is it better than nothing? Yes, but the effectiveness against a heavier clothed human or a bear is doubtful.

Probably better to use a rifle or heavy pistol if you're anticipating longer range engagements. Or change over to slugs. I recommend 12 gauge Brenneke Black Magic Magnum 3 inch slugs. However, shooting them is not for faint of heart!

But it can be done even with a Shockwave!

Regards

One of the issues you will find at longer distances, beyond unacceptable spread, is the loss of velocity by buckshot, even with flight control ammo. Thus the penetration of a person wearing heavier layers of clothing or larger threat is suspect. Yes, flight control ammo may reach out and touch them at longer distances but will it inflict acceptable damage.

I personally haven't see acceptably buckshot results beyond 25 yards. Beyond that range is it better than nothing? Yes, but the effectiveness against a heavier clothed human or a bear is doubtful.

Probably better to use a rifle or heavy pistol if you're anticipating longer range engagements. Or change over to slugs. I recommend 12 gauge Brenneke Black Magic Magnum 3 inch slugs. However, shooting them is not for faint of heart!

But it can be done even with a Shockwave!

Regards

Good points all.

Re. slugs...that's what the Alaska State Troopers carry in their duty shotguns in bear, and in particular, moose country!

As for shooting 3" magnum slugs from a Shockwave .... no thanks. :)

Does Federal sell the FliteControl wads separately? If they do, I imagine that reloaders would have a of fun experimenting with custom loads that way.

The wad will not enter the hull without proprietary presses since the vanes are sprung open at the base. No they are not for sale, can't even be copied by second party.

The wad will not enter the hull without proprietary presses since the vanes are sprung open at the base. No they are not for sale, can't even be copied by second party.

Makes sense...it is definitely an awesome improvement. How does it actually work? Does it hold the pellets together for a longer time before they release? Or...?

Back