• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

00 Flite Control v. 00 Buckshot

That's an interesting story.

The Flite-Control Wad was developed by a female engineer at Federal Cartridge and was originally released for turkey hunting. The part that holds the shot column is a tube that does not peel back, so it keeps the shot payload inside an enclosed cylinder for a longer distance when leaving the muzzle. Then, "vanes" at the rear spring out to act as a parachute that drags the wad off the payload from the rear instead of the front just peeling open. That way the shot continues downrange almost undisturbed.

Thanks that is really interesting!! I can see how/why this would be awesome for turkey shooting.

Another question...what difference then would a choke in the shotgun make if you are using Flite Control loads?

You can tell I don't know much. :)

Flite-Control shows almost ZERO difference in patterning regardless of choke in SD versions, with a slight favor to Cylinder and Improved Cylinder being best for buckshot. Turkey loads show a slight improvement with shot sizes like #4, etc with turkey chokes and full choke tubes.

Good question!

Interesting thanks, so if I'm reading correctly the wad holds intact after it leaves the muzzle of the shotgun, then opens up? As opposed to .... heck ... like I said...I don't understand how birdshot works, does the wad expand and let loose of the BBs in the bore of the shotgun and that's why a choke is effective at keeping them in a certain pattern?

Normal birdshot, trap and skeet ammo has wads whose payload cup is sliced from the front toward the cushion and pressure seal. The shot is still inside the bore and the wad until exiting the muzzle. The shot is compact while inside the bore. When the shot payload exits the muzzle all it takes is atmopheric pressure to blow the petals open and peel back. This occurs within inches, or perhaps a foot or two. The shot is then completely unincapsulated as it drives thru the density of the atmosphere so it becomes ballistically unstable like a baseball knuckleball.

The Flite-Control wad does not peel back and violently open when it leaves the muzzle. It is not sliced along its longitude from the front toward the back, and it is very thick and inflexible. It is like a solid tube going downrange with shot inside it. Then, after 7-10 feet of travel the back fins which have sprung open like a parachute start to slow the WAD down but not the SHOT. Think of a space rocket whose 1st Stage booster has run out and now separates leaving the 2nd stage still moving forward without disruption.

Thanks for the education....so.....how exactly does a choke work? I kind of thought it "funnels" the shot payload after it had immediately left the wad in the barrel.

FliteControl is amazing technology! I hope that engineer got a huge bonus or raise! She is no doubt directly responsible for millions in extra revenue for Federal.

Here's a good video (with slow motion) that shows the difference between Winchester and Federal buckshot. You can really see how differently the wads work and how they affect the patterns.

I like the Federal 15 pellet #1 buckshot for home defense. Here's a gel test of that load.

I`m running Federal`s LE flight controlled 9 pellet 00 in my 88, it`s pretty much like shooting low recoil slugs in close quarters...

102_9213.JPG

Back