• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1911: Pics and Discussion

Re: Looking for info on 1911

What features are you looking for, tac rail, light-wieght, etc? Will this be a new range toy or for EDC?

Once you build the gun in your head you can start looking for candidates that fit your needs. Beware, there are a LOT of one sided opinions in the 1911 world so take them with a grain of salt. I own both a Smith and Wesson and a Kimber 1911 which are both the butt of a wide range of criticism for their external extractors, reliability, etc. I've never had any issues with either through thousands of rounds. I've never met a gun I didn't like! (except a Para Ord that came apart in my hand at the range) Get out and get your hands on as many as you can. You'll know the moment you pick up "The One". A 1911 has a way of speaking to you like it has a soul.

My self personally, I want a 1911 to shoot! lol, ok thats the simplified answer! :)

I want a Springer, period. I dont need a builder, and it doesnt have to be pretty. I prefer parkerized, either govt. or commander length. I want reliable function, doesnt have to feel custom. The only thing I'll want to change quickly will be the grips. Only cuz I like black. So I'm thinkin the GI.

For the money I'd go SA Mil-Spec over the GI models, especially if you're planning on putting a lot of rounds through it. You're still under $600 and the upgraded stainless barrel alone is well worth the minimal price increase. The GI is a great starter model, but you may find yourself wanting to upgrade more than the grips after a trip to the range.

Just my $.02...

Re: 1911 Pictures!!

Snow Day!!

EDBROWNSHOW.jpg

DSC00196.jpg

DSC00191.jpg

dirksterg30 said:
Springfield Loaded 5" I used to own. Great gun, but I had to sell it. Some day I will have another 1911.

SpringfieldGovt1911leftsidecloseup.jpg

SpringfieldGovt1911leftside-1.jpg

Man, sorry you had to part with her! Beautiful!!!

Adam, I'll have my Springer GI soon! Only thing I want is some new "shoes" as you say, in black! Whhat do you recommend?

Brad,
I would say anything from VZ or Larry Davidson.
I'm running the VZ Operators, I have Big hands and They're perfect, if your hands are a little
smaller the Operator II's have the thumb cut out to help you reach the mag release. Also if you plan on adding
a mag well buy flat bottoms.
I have a Guy that I BUY/TRADE grips from He's in Texas , but he mails grips every where..his site is
1911-Grips.com.. Randy is a good guy.

Brad,
Let me know when you pick up the Springer... I'll mail you the Operators to try So people think their to rough!! I'm thinking about buying another wood pair and on randy's sight he has Larry's Horned Lizards in BLack!!

Just ordered two sets of these today for my Pops Colt Combat Commander and the m1911 knife I had made for him.

Classic Panel Checkered Double Diamonds with Smooth Border in Silver Black

They're all wood, and have a beautiful black finish with a deep silver burl.

$59.99 @ grips4guns.com

Thanks fellas! I appreciate the advice, I prefer the style of the VZ grips, or something like what Wilson Combat or Pachmyar has available.

I'll def let you know Adam! I'm buying new, the GI new is just over what I was planning on spending on something used but I get the warranty and hey, its new! :D

Nice man, not at all bad! I just suscribed to your channel too!

Ditto, good pics! You and several others here get great pics all the time! Great pics and great firearms/knives!

Thanks for the compliments fellas.

Believe it or not I shoot all my photos with an old 6mpx Sony Cybershot pocket camera. I spend more on ammo for a trip to the range than I paid for the camera. I've been experimenting a bit lately with different lighting and camera angles. The tripod has become my best friend as I could never get any decent pics shooting free hand with my camera. My favorite pics so far are of my new S&W PC 629 I posted in the wheelguns thread. I'm kinda fumbling my way through it and it seems to be workimg out so far.

Been to the gun show... pics will be forthcoming. tonight or tomorrow...

Here they are! Springer Loaded, Trijicon night sights and match trigger, parkerized. Stamped A1 and Geneseo, IL rather than Brazil and serial # begining LW. I know of the debate as to what is made where, not trying to get that goin here, but it may mean somethin to someone who can tell me if they know what it all means.

EDIT:
Just got off the phone with Springfield after some more inspecting of my beautiful new-to-me dream gun. I found on the underside of the frame, a stamp reading "FI Brazil". I called Springfield. They verified the gun is indeed a "Loaded" with factory installed fixed combat night sights and aluminum match trigger made in November of 2002, with more than 51% made in Geneseo, IL. 1911's stamped with Brazil just means more than 51% made in Brazil.

Got a whole bunch of Federal 230 gr. FMJ ammo for practicin! I've also got new Pachmayr grips on the way, same as whats on the Springer Operator, so I'm hopin it works with the ambi safety.

100_5112Medium.jpg

100_5117Medium.jpg

100_5120Medium.jpg

Sweet brother!

Wherever it was made, that's one B E A utiful shooter. I know you've gotta be filled with pride right now. I bet you can't put it down can you? I'm still waitn to find my Springer. One day.......one day.......

Congrats!

Thank You! And yeah, where ever it was made is cool with me! I knew going into it even looking at new GI's, that much of the gun is made in Brazil.

So, waiting excitedly foor the new grips to make the gun more... Black. I'm not one of the "tacticool" crowd that thinks a real gun is black, just happens to be my favorite color!
nothing wrong with "tacticool" black guns!

Cant wait to do some shooting, my daughter is driving me nuts! We had it out last night familiarizing with its operation, and my in-laws were over. My mother-in-law is ok with me having guns, though she detests them. So my father-in-law, (served at the end of the Viet Nam era as an Army MP) was enthused to see a 1911 again, to actually hold one again. So I picked it up and did a customary inspection of the chamber and dropped the magazine to clear it before handing it off. My mother-in-law FLIPPED! She thought I did all that because I had it loaded in the house and let the kids handle it. I had to explain its a standing rule we always clear a gun by inspecting both chamber and magazine and before handing over a gun. My 12 year old knows to do that much. Then she started telling all kinds of horror stories about "I never thought it would happen to me"...

Any whoooo. I'm very happy with it. I didnt expect to find a 1911 a little higher end I would like. But I did! :D

So I got my new Pachmayrs today. Installed in a breeze as soon as I got one of the threaded insert screws seperated from the set screw. One had siezed up in the cocobolo grip and instead of the set screw backing out, the whole threaded insert backed out. Got it taken care of with some advice, and the wrap around Pachmayrs went on sooo easily! Its a great look, and EXACTLY what I wanted!

Oh, should I get some new pics? :) Well, I'm goin to bed, so it will have to wait until tomorrow!

Back