• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1911: Pics and Discussion

It’s not the Kimber sight, it’s a trijicon. I’ve already drifted it somewhat which is how I found my vise is not up to the task.

After soaking, the firing pin never did come free. I just put it all back together. I walked my backside down the hill and ran a magazine through it and everything works. I’ll do some more learning via that link and continue trying to figure it out.

New grips added and swapping out the red FO for Green (I see green way better).

Aggressive Starburst grips. The regular starburst cocobolo grips bounced around a little when I rapid fire. Now it's all locked ready to rock

40910038431_f0cf1b04c3_k.jpg

I have these two now, a Springfield Mil-Spec Defender and a Taurus PT1911. The rawhide strip on the Taurus is to deactivate the grip safety. If I ever carry it off my property I just unwind it from the grip so I don't cause any undue stress on the populace. Condition One does enough of that! lol Original grips for both pistolas are in their respective boxes.

6E29E053-453C-43F3-9991-F1ACB275EEB7.jpeg
8B346D17-4316-4304-AAAA-913226087DAC (1).jpeg

Last edited:
I have these two now, a Springfield Mil-Spec Defender and a Taurus PT1911. The rawhide strip on the Taurus is to deactivate the grip safety. If I ever carry it off my property I just unwind it from the grip so I don't cause any undue stress on the populace. Condition One does enough of that! lol Priginal grips for both pistolas are in their respective boxes.

View attachment 25240
View attachment 25241

Nice looking pistols.
Could ya elaborate on thoughts of the rawhide wrapping ? What's the advantage I guess I'm curious

From what I have gathered, sig just rebranded the GSG 1911's.

I know a guy with one of the GSG's and it's harder to find something it doesn't like to eat. Only thing he has said it didn't like was the cci quiets, but they are probably loaded way too light on the powder and even have a statement on the box they won't likely cycle in a semi.

I don't know if this guy shoots a lot for accuracy. As long as he's hitting a steel plate, I think he's pretty content with that.

There are several aftermarket upgrades for it though that may help.

taylortactical sells 14 round followers and solid steel followers and springs. I think the factory guide rods are just plastic. Also remember that not all 22lr is created equal.

https://www.taylor-tactical-supply....recoil-system-p/gsg-enhance-recoil-system.htm

Nice looking pistols.
Could ya elaborate on thoughts of the rawhide wrapping ? What's the advantage I guess I'm curious
Thanks! Sure, here's why I do it. 1. Tying down the grip safety is completely reversable. Pinning the grip safety is too, but unwinding rawhide is easier for me. 2. The grip safety can keep you from firing if your grip is less than ideal. Drawing in a hurry under the stress of a self defense sit for example. 3. The grip safety just isn't necessary! That's why I do it and why I do it like I do.

There is some come controversy (on the internet at least) as to whether JMB designed the GS only because the Dept. of War required it. All I know is that his Hi Power didn't have a grip safety!

FWIW, and I know this is off topic, but I limited the grip safety on my uzi. I essentially epoxy glued a piece of wood in the grip housing that essentially took out almost all of the lateral movement necessary for the grip safety to work.

I left about 3/32" that needed to be depressed in order to be able to fire the gun, so I didn't defeat the grip safety entirely. But now, you don't have to move the grip safety an extreme amount in order to fire the weapon like before.

I noticed that in some positions that I would try to fire the gun, I was having to really hog down on the grip in order to fire it, which was less than ideal for a lot of reasons. Mainly that it was taking away time and effort away from what I should be doing instinctively in order to fire the weapon.

So, as I mentioned, I didn't specifically defeat the grip safety because you do have to depress it a little, but not the full 1/2 inch or whatever it was. It was in my opinion excessive.

I also know that JM Browning didn't specifically design the CZ75 line of guns either though they are based on his design. I like the fact that they do not have grip safeties either.

Lots of guns have them. I just can't say that's what makes me a fan of any of them.

Had an outing at the range last month with son, dot and her BF of 2yrs (good kid). One of the heaters exercised was my 1991 (bought new in '91 :) ). There was one small casualty noted upon cleanup--you'd a think a 29yo "new" shokbuff installed a year ago would last a little longer... :D

Wilson Combat was happy to sell me a kit with 2 buffs & new spring. Also got a metal bushing wrench and coozie. Total with ship was a little over $20.

UPDATE: here is the kit I ordered... LINK Here is the bushing wrench... LINK

buffdust.jpg

Last edited:
Had an outing at the range last month with son, dot and her BF of 2yrs (good kid). One of the heaters exercised was my 1991 (bought new in '91 :) ). There was one small casualty noted upon cleanup--you'd a think a 29yo "new" shokbuff installed a year ago would last a little longer... :D

Wilson Combat was happy to sell me a kit with 2 buffs & new spring. Also got a metal bushing wrench and coozie. Total with ship was a little over $20.

View attachment 25249
I remember the Shok-Buff...I didn't think about them having an expiration date! Wilson is good about helping out though!

Back