• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

2 Guns 2 problems

mdshunter

Copper BB
Help me out if you can. Suddenly the 500 drops all the shells out the bottom. Last time I saw this the spring was hung up on the plug that was used to limit capacity. That doesn't seem to be the case this time but I will not swear to it.
Second gun is an older T85 in 410. It has decided that it will not hold the two shells down in the magazine although the spring there is still good and stiff. Maybe just a good cleaning and lube?
These may seem like overly simple questions for some but my problem is I have lost much of my memory. Without going into all the health crap, I just need help from those of you who are able. It sucks to have to relearn most of what you knew if at all.
Thanks for the help.

Sounds to me like the shell retainer on the 500 is stuck down might check on that and the 410 sounds like it needs cleaned. If you are having trouble remembering things please be careful and always tripple check to ensure your gun is unloaded before attempting to do any maintenance. Or an even better alternative may be taking your guns to a gunsmith.

I'll second bsipes30 on the shell retainer. It may be stuck or could have been bent somehow. Not familiar with the T85 though...

Maybe I have the designation wrong on the old 410 bolt action. As I said my memory sucks these days. I have owned it for about 30 years and it was used when I bought it. Perhaps it was a 85B and not a T. I don't have it here at the moment or I would just look at it. My first thought was just a good clean and lube after sitting for a long time and being a bit neglected.

As to the 500 I think the shell retainer is the problem but cant imagine how it would have been bent. These have both been safe queens for more years than I can remember. Again, perhaps a good clean and lube or more likely a problem with the spring? If it is indeed bent somehow is it difficult to straighten out again? Thanks for all the help. If nothing else this illness has taught me humility. Patience, not so much. At least I am able to ask for help in forums such as this. You can also bet I double and triple check that my weapons are unloaded and safe to handle before working on them. I always was a fanatic about gun safety. Now, I just have to use check lists to insure I am on track. The really frustrating part for me isn't forgetting things although that is bad enough. It is taking 10 times as long to do something even when I do remember. The good news is the neurologist says the information is still in there somewhere and it is a matter of creating new pathways to access it. Again, thanks folks!

welcome from NY mdshunter.
sorry to hear about your illness. but one thing for sure you picked the best place to relearn.
.....and don't worry,somebody here will help you. good folks here.

Good luck with the firearms and with the neurologist. The shell retainer won't be hard to bend back if that's the problem.

When you have the .410 in hand give the folks at Havlin Sales a call...

Havlin Sales & Service
(636) 937-6401

Victor and Cheryl Havlin are our go-to resource for info on discontinued Mossbergs. If anyone can help you out, it's them...

Back