• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

2016 Turkey Seasons

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Less than 2 months till spring season in Ohio. The dates are April 18 through May 15.

I've not been successful in the past, I have yet to fill a tag. Maybe this spring will be different!

We'll try doing things differently, we'll try hunting other areas. We'll scout a little more and listen a little more. We've been close in the past, we always see and hear turkeys and have even been able to get them close but not close enough.

Who else is hunting this spring?

I'm also looking at surplus camo because its much less expensive than going with a set of Mossy Oak or Real Tree.

I'm thinking German Flecktarn or Italian Vegetato.

Here's the Vegetato which looks good for early spring and fall and a full set runs about $50;

image.jpg

This is supposed to be heavy weight stuff, not necessarily cold weather gear but I think some camp dry or other water proofing spray would help. Add a base layer and it should be good for spring maybe.

I'll be hunting.

Don't feel bad I hunted 10+ years before I finally bagged a bird, most of those years I never even saw one. I wasn't until I became reacquainted with a old friend that allowed me to hunt his property that I stared filling tags. Location, location , location, and a mentor helped a lot!

I hunted long and hard before I bagged my first one too. Made a lot of mistakes. Learned that you can't sneak up on turkeys regardless of how low you are to the ground.

They can also see a cigarette being puffed on from a mile away too even if you're in a blind.

Made all kinds of stupid mistakes.

I've been in that same boat too ripjack. I've had to change a lot of the ways I've always done things the last several years. I went 2 straight years not even being able to hunt at all. Was strongly disappointed and unhappy that I couldn't, so I looked into ways that would maybe give me a couple more seasons doing what I've always enjoyed at least, but I know that point is sneaking up on me faster than I care to admit even with the extra precautions and effort I have put into it.

I know this is off topic and I apologize in advance, but many of us are getting to that same point in our lives where we're not as young as we used to be.

I've had to switch to low recoil shells, limbsaver pads, and still have to do it in moderation on top of that. After a few shots, I'm done and ready to go to the ponderosa.

Since it's nearly impossible to find a "low brass" #6 shot that I like to use for hunting (seems all the lowbrass are cheap skeet loads with 8 and 9 shot in them), I've even had to start making my own hunting shells just so I don't have to crawl home in tears. I can give you some load recipe's if you'd like. They're as soft, or maybe even a little softer shooting than typical handicap skeet loads. But the effective range is decreased some as a result, but the fast burning powder does make a difference in reducing recoil and seems to be doing the trick with 12 gauge and the 1-1/8 oz load gets a decent amount of pellets where I need them. Just let me know if you think it would help or would like to try them.

That custom #6 load through your choke @ripjack13 might be real nice! With the 6s, may still put a lot of pellets on target to 40 yards.

I'm pretty sure I have some boxes of 6 shot in my cabinet. I also use the limbsaver and a Blackhawk recoil reducing stock. It's nice...even with the 3-1/2's I usually use.
I really need to get reloading. I bought 12g set up 2 yrs ago. Never got around to setting up shop yet....

Dude, I'll get that choke back to you ASAP and you can get back in to it just as soon as you get the ok!

No problem. Are you done with it? I don't mind if you wanna use it for the spring season...

I'm gonna try the Winchester Longbeard XR #6 rather than the 5. I'm good with what I have in the Carlson's though its not choked as tight but it's close.

If you aren't shooting I'll run the same testing I've been doing with it and the 6s.

Your call.

Headed out on April 3rd with my father in law for my second attempt at a turkey or two. We only saw a few last year and they weren't in range. Hoping to have some luck this year.

Ugh Long Island only has a November season. Meanwhile the turkey population is huge!

I have turkeys in my backyard apartment complex.

2 jakes. I may call them in to make use of my turkey box next month.

They're all over my neighborhood....I really wanna go this spring....waiting on a docs approval though...

Looks like my hunt will be moving back. I was supposed to go on opening day (April 3rd) because my son is coming on April 8th. The doctor decided today that they are going to deliver my son around the 27th-30th. :D

Back