• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

3 or 8 MOA?

dieselmudder

.30-06
Elite Member
"Philanthropist"
Going to run a Burris Fastfire III on a Midwest Industries mount or my AK. Being mounted forward, in the "scout" postion how easily will a 3 MOA dot be to pick up and focus on? Ive never actually handled an AK with a forward mounted optic, so have noting to go off of. Ive no problems sacrificing some pinpoint accuracy, so long as i can get on target easily.

Had an EOTech on a forward mount on my AK for a while. The 1 MOA dot was plenty clear and big enough to easily pick up. The 3 MOA dot should be plenty big enough...

I have a 3 moa Bushnell TRS25 low profile on the top of my MI handguard on my Romanian IO, and it's fine out there.

762%20battle%20rifles%20002_zpsvqasxvir.jpg

I think your 3-MOA would be great. I have an Aimpoint T-1 Micro 4-MOA* on the forward rail of my M1A Scout Rifle and it certainly does not need to be any bigger.

* - it's said to really be more like a 3.25-MOA but for marketing reasons Aimpoint tries to stay with even numbers (2- 4- 6- etc)

The only time I like really large dots is on my dedicated short range weapons.

Like my MP5k for instance. Or even perhaps a scattergun.

My MP5K has a 5 moa dot by Millett, but the gun having a 5.5 inch 9mm barrel, is not intended to shoot 150 yards away, so having a large dot makes target acquisition fast, and at closer range, the large moa dot doesn't have to be as specific (point of impact) as long as it's in the zone. Not only that, but a larger dot covers more of the surface area, and at longer range can totally obscure.

I'm having a difficult time trying to put my thoughts into words.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, small dots are usually more capable at intermediate distances than large dot sights. And large dots work better for close in work. Especially in speed and multiple target acquisition.

Yep, John A.~

A big dot at 25-yards is still only 1~2 inches covered at 25-yards. You make a very good point.

7bf063e5aeb3af37ef92d8f6a9d746c5.jpg

d3a2b1e29de4d7dbd5eb9e47ff2dfac3.jpg

Fast Fire III on the C39. Was not just a drop on for the Midwest Industries optic specific mount. Took a little filing of the locating dowels, and rethreading for the Burris provide screws. Other than that I like it. Range report to follow

dieselmudder~ I think you will be very pleased with your choice. Congrats!

any one I've known to put a sight there on an AK proved to be inaccurate because of the movement in the hand guard piece , but that one looks different.....does it have any play ?

My Midwest Industries AK handguard feels as sturdy as a freefloat railed AR handguard.

Granted I have seen how AK's look in slow motion when firing and they look like they wiggle and wobble like a limp noodle, the handguards are clamped to the barrel and seemingly don't move around.

Once zero'd, I have not had to touch my sight since.

*wish I had the low profile one that diesels' got because it looks like it would cowitness with the irons, but I'm content enough with mine to not buy a new handguard top and optic to change it. Though if I had it to do over again and they even existed when I bought my setup, I would've done it.

hatchingeggs006_zps92d7ebb8.jpg

Its a decent co-witness, lower 1/3 not perfect but i knew that when i bought it. Have to bring the cheek weld up off the stock just a little. The Midwest handguard and mount are pretty solid. Ill run it some today. Couple hundred rounds. And report back.

looks real nice DM

an aluminum shroud or some sort of protection would be a nice thing because those sights are delicate

I have a clone I put in a Burris Picatinny Protector and it worked real well keeping the sight from getting dinged up

240 rounds today, nothing came loose, held zero fine, had no trouble hitting the steel full size silhoutte at 200 consistently. (for an AK with wolf HP)

I dont think the Fast Fire could handle a direct hit, but it is pretty sturdy aluminum construction. Ive no fear of light abuse. I dropped it a few times today, intentionally. (damp ground)

@John A. Those AK mags from Gibbsrifle.com, that you posted the youtube video about awhile back, are sadly sub par. The spot welds on one let go when it got dropped on concrete, empty. Two today would not feed rounds, the bolt would not pick the round up out of the magazine. 1 worked with no flaws, but im not going to keep it loaded or ready. One of those deals, you get what you pay for i suppose.

They're supposed to be warranted.

Send 'em back.

But if they were that bad, I don't think I'd expect the replacements to be much better. They looked like they would be good to go.

Eh, for no more than i have in them, its not worth the hassle. Like i said, theyll be good for parts, or mag change practice. I may investigate further and see what the problem actually is. May just need some filing somewhere or somethin.

i vote mag change practice.....do ya do that thing where you swat the empty mag out with the full one , that looks like the way to go to me

Lol, ive got a buddy with a WASR, thinkin may try them in his. Also, and please dont shun me, but i used CTD's chat support to get an email for contact to Gibbs. To attempt a warranty. I dont have the recipt where i bought them from Old Western Scrounger, so its a shot in the dark.

And yes Oli, i do that. Hey, it works.

Back