• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.338 mossberg 4x4

I have the .30-06 Mossberg 4x4 bolt action rifle and absolutely love it as does everyone else at the range who has shot it. My buddy who has a very nicely setup Remington r700 was very impressed with how well it shot. I would suspect that in .338 it would shoot great as well.

Do you have any questions in particular about the Mossberg 4x4 bolt action rifle?

I was wanting to know how the kick was on the .338 and how accurate it was. Im wanting a new hunting rifle and I saw this and was drawn to it but nobody around here has on and the gun shops dont carry them they have to order so I just want to know how it shoots accuracy and the recoil of it.

What game are you planning on shooting? The recoil on the .30-06 is minimal compared to some other rifles I have shot such as the Savage and Remington. The only thing I can contribute this to is the muzzle break and recoil pad that the Mossberg 4x4 bolt action rifle comes with. There are certainly more accurate rifles on the market but I would have total confidence in hitting my target with this rifle.

mostly deer and other large game. hopefully thats the case with the .338 i think im gonna go order one and give it a shot and see how it is.

Well keep us updated! I would love to hear some feedback on the .338 version.

What model of the Mossberg 4x4 bolt action did you end up going with?

I have just purchased the .338, but have not shot it yet. I am still in the process of mounting my scope. I have a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40. As soon as I am finished I will get back to you.
Aloha

With the muzzle brake on the .338 has about as much recoil as a 30-06 would normally have. It's very tolerable, which will become even more important as I work out a good reload for the gun. I was actually very surprised at how well the muzzle brake reduced the recoil, as I've heard bad things about other .338 rifles. This, assuming I can get better groups than I've got with factory ammo, has a lot of potential to be a fantastic rifle for elk and moose.

rjpoog1989 said:
With the muzzle brake on the .338 has about as much recoil as a 30-06 would normally have. It's very tolerable, which will become even more important as I work out a good reload for the gun. I was actually very surprised at how well the muzzle brake reduced the recoil, as I've heard bad things about other .338 rifles. This, assuming I can get better groups than I've got with factory ammo, has a lot of potential to be a fantastic rifle for elk and moose.
That is one thing i am now starting to think about is a muzzle break. Now that i'm reloading for my 338, i can get out and do more shooting now that i'm not paying 65.00/70.00 for a box of ammo. After about 4 shots i have a nice bruise on my shoulder that lasts a week. A Limbsaver recoil pad is supposed to help too.

Recoil is definitely an issue with such a large caliber rifle. I'm glad I got my rifle when I did, because I've noticed the 2012 4x4's do not come with a muzzle break, although the new fluted bolt for 2012 looks sexy. I paid $60 for a box of 20 factory Remington CoreLokts for mine just to get the scope on paper. I can tell you if I had to continue to pay that price I wouldn't get out much. The only issue I see with a muzzle break is that apparently some guides won't allow people to use them because of noise. I plan on doing self guided hunts, so it shouldn't be an issue for me.

I haven't shot the gun without the break, and from your report, I don't think I will be doing it anytime soon.

I have finally had a chance to shoot my 4x4 338 and the recoil is about as much as my 270. It is very tolerable. It is also very accurate. Our range goes to 100yds and my grouping was within 1 inch. A few of the shots stacked up on each other. I have a Nikon Buckmaster BDC which I like a lot. I have the black stock. I was shooting Winchester 200 grain from sports authority. Aloha

Have you ever had a chance to stretch it out beyond 100yds?

I'd love to have a .338 if I had somewhere locally to reach out to 1000yds or beyond...

I would like to see how the cartridge performs at a distance as well. Once I get a good load worked out hopefully I'll find out for myself. I hope to have some range pictures soon, but unfortunately only out to 100 yards :(

Back