• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

3D Peep

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
I just saw this and thought I would share. Interesting.

I'm not sure why the second d-loop but I guess they want to be consistent with the anchor.

Yeah, it is a problem for those of us that shoot long distances...70-90 meters (up to 100 yards) with a scope. Everything is a compromise. When shooting indoors I draw, anchor with my eyes closed. Then open them to see where the peep is in relation to my aiming eye. I move the peep so it lines up with my eye. This is at 20 yds and it doesn't change all season. But when we go outside things are different. The short distance is 30M or 40 yds depending on the governing body. Longest (for me) is 70M unless I drop down to the senior class...then it is 90M (98 yds). Having the same peep position as indoor is impossible. It is too high. So a compromise of approx. 40 yds is better. I have to "scrunch up" at 30M and raise up for 70 or 90m.

The other limitation with pins is running out of adjustment. Using pins and a fast bow (320 fps or higher) it is not as much a problem up to a point. Anything after that you're gapping. With this double peep and two d-loops you are extending your range while keeping a very usable anchor and sight picture. But it is more of a novelty to me...not usable in tournaments and not ethical in hunting with low-speed bows.

One thing I noticed is his arrow at the end. His bow is not tuned well...the arrow corkscrews as it is released. Not good for speed or accuracy.

I jut thought it was odd that they had a second d-loop rather than just using one and lowering the anchor point. All they are doing is string walking with a release.

For some of the longer 3D shoots I always used an adjustable sight and for extra long shots I would use the bottom of the sight frame as a reference point. Some places like to set extra large targets 100+ yards out in a field to mess with your head and throw off your yardage calculator..

I don't recall having issues with when I shot some of the field leagues but I do not recall the max distance our club had.

I jut thought it was odd that they had a second d-loop rather than just using one and lowering the anchor point. All they are doing is string walking with a release.

For some of the longer 3D shoots I always used an adjustable sight and for extra long shots I would use the bottom of the sight frame as a reference point. Some places like to set extra large targets 100+ yards out in a field to mess with your head and throw off your yardage calculator..

I don't recall having issues with when I shot some of the field leagues but I do not recall the max distance our club had.
Yup. It would be too hard to use a single loop and two peep holes. One you would be straining upward to see, the other scrunched up to get down to it. Your anchor point would be way off.

I don't see them becoming mainstream...just a novelty. No way they would be legal on a 3D course. That would be like moving your sight and that is only allowed in the Open or Freestyle classes not Hunter or Bowhunter.

Back