• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

4 inch .357 limitations?

honkey

.270 WIN
My brother and I have been talking about going hunting for a while now. I have been trying to stock up on guns that I can use. Now I have a Mossberg 500 12 ga, an SKS, and a Mosin Nagant for my brother and I to choose from. I want to get a revolver that would make a good sidearm and I have agreed to a deal on a S&W 66 with a 4" barrel. I saw some discussions where people said the 6 inch barrel is good out to about 50 yards. I am just wondering what my limitations are with the 4". Anyone have first hand experience with a 4" .357 in the woods? We are planning on hog and deer hunting.

You could hunt at close range with a 6" or 4" but the 6" extends the range by maybe 15~20% because it's slightly more accurate by virtue of the sight radius. The longer barrel will add 50- to 100-fps which won't make a bit of difference with regards to lethality on a deer or pig.

You can kill either with a HEAVY .357 bullet (and a well-placed shot) as a back-up weapon or a really close primary but I'd go with a slug gun or rifle beyond bowhunting ranges.

Good to hear from you! How've you been?

I'm doing well, I just put in my two weeks notice at one of my jobs, so I am looking forward to having free time soon. I should have every other weekend free now, so I am hoping I can do a lot more shooting and reloading starting on August 12th.
I can't wait to get this Model 66. My fiancee and I are also planning on picking up an AK after our next checks, so next time we go to the range we will have three new guns to shoot. :)

Sounds awesome! The 7.62x39 with a good bullet almost rivals the .30-30 Winchester cartridge which kills deer and pigs by the trainload.

Back