• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

410 Reloader

hombre243

.30-06
I am new to shotgun reloading but I ain't new to shootin all my ammo and goin without for a while. I decided to reload 410 ammo and bought a new MEC 600 Jr. 410 Reloader off Ebay.

I looked everyewhere but I needed to use PayPal to handle the payment. Almost no one had a press, and none had a press that would let me use PayPal to pay for it...except Ebay.

I thought it a bit strange that the reason everyone gives me for not allowing PayPal is that PayPal does not allow purchases for guns, reloadiing equipment or components.

The strange part is that Ebay is owned by Pay Pal now and Ebay is all happy that I had to spend about 25% more for the press than anyone else sells them for. But, I saw that the one I wanted was sold by a cop shop so that helped me to decide. (I ordered last night about dinner time.) That plus Pay Pal Credit is instantaneous, as was the shipping, and I got an email this am that said my press is on the way. I am excited. I have 2 new 410s I haven't shot yet.

Here is what I am waiting for. I expect it in about a week.

MEC 600 Jr. Mk 5 410 Press.JPG

How are you set for components?
Low, but gaining on that stuff. I will have to order it as I find it online. no one local has anything. Closest for me is Iowa City Scheels. I can scrounge there every tuesday for the next 4 weeks.

I have some shot, some empties and some small shot new ammo. I will blow that off and reload with #5. I don't shoot a lot but I may try some Fall Turkey hunting. I will load #4s for that.

I have wads and over 1000 209 primers. I also have some 3" larger shot amo. All in all I have a couple hundred rounds I can use to hunt, and 75 rounds of 9s I can shoot for fun and reload.

I have the press converted from 2 1/2" to 3". In order that I dont have to go thru the whole procedure again of changing back to 2 1/2" the way I did first time, which took about 1/2 hour and some calls to MEC, I will buy a short kit so I can change down to 2 1/2" in just a minute or 2. First I have to fnd one that I can justify paying the high price for that most sellers want buyers to pay.

I found one at a most reasonable price. Here is a question: Will the short kit for a 20 ga 600 jr work on a 410 600 Jr? There are a lot of parts that will interchange between models but no way to know which ones they are unless someone tells me. I tried the company but I missed em and they went home for the weekend.

Does anyone here on the forum know? I will appreciate the help.

Shoot, I have a 600-Jr in 20-ga but have not used it in years. (I think I still have it... :) ) And even though I own one I have absolutely no answer for you. Hope you find an answer before Monday.

I'd say you have components to get and keep you going for quite a while. It things turn lousy with bags of shot let me know although the largest I know that I have is #6.

Shoot, I have a 600-Jr in 20-ga but have not used it in years. (I think I still have it... :) ) And even though I own one I have absolutely no answer for you. Hope you find an answer before Monday.

I'd say you have components to get and keep you going for quite a while. If things turn lousy with bags of shot let me know although the largest I know that I have is #6.

Thanks Nitesite. I will let you know. #6 will do fine, especially in the 3#. I did look online and found a few 3". Oh, I have asked all around about the short kit. So far, no solid answer. I am thiinking the answer is no.

I spent since 5 am today lookin for the hulls. I won't spend that much time lookin for a short kit. I will pay the money for it.

I don't shoot a lot so like you said, the components I have should last a while.

I wish I knew the answer to your question. But my only experience with a 410 loader has been with the one I made.

I wish I knew the answer to your question. But my only experience with a 410 loader has been with the one I made.

That's ok. I think only a few parts work on 12, 20 and 410, and I dont need them. I will get the short kit sooner or later. I have mostly 3" cases anyhow and will use them first.

HOMBRE,

I think MEC and others like Hornady and Dillon "say" that loading .410 is a completely different animal regarding their press and other loading shooo when it comes to loading the .410 shot shell.

I will send you pounds of #6 shot if you come to need or simply want it. I know I have about half a 25-lb bag laying around. :)
I got a post from a MEC guy and he said 7 1/2 is about the biggest shot the 600 jr in 410 will handle well. It is a small shot loader, unless you dip the shot. I don't know if the larger gauges are tricky with larger shot. Doesnt make sense that the company can't make a shot port work any better than what they have now. But, I won't be loading anything but 410. I don't shoot much now and mainly got the 410s for funzies.

If I need that 6 shot I will pm ya. I have been dipping #5 shot so dippin 6 shot will be ok 2. I did hear from one loader that said powdered graphite may slick up the drop tube and shot and make it slide through better. I will give it a try. I will let you know how it is going.

It seems to me that even with 16 and 12 gauge I am weighing every load before I crimp them, to make sure I got the right shot charge. On my press I have to move it from one station to another at that point anyway.

I admit that I do the same thing. Though, with the charges and pressures associated with shotgun loads, if your meter is within a couple of tenths of charge, it's not going to make any significant difference in the way it shoots, and it sure isn't going to cause an explosion unless you seriously screwed something up.

I know that it’s very forgiving in this stage but I’m still very fussy because it costs so damn much to do this stuff.

Back