• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

45 ACP PCC?

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
Going to be selling off some hand guns due to my elbow issues and having a difficult time shooting them for extended periods without soreness or pain. I made a 9mm PCC and I love it. Shoots great and can shoot for extended periods with limited discomfort.

I'll be selling off my only 45 ACP handgun. Which means I'll have a decent stock of 45 ACP still in my inventory. Toying with the idea of turning another build into a PCC in 45 ACP.

@Rossignol has been been an offline enabler on putting the thought in my head and got me to read up on the 45 ACP build.

I did the research. Know how to make it. Anyone have a 45 ACP PCC and how do you like it compared to the 9mm carbine?

Ideally I'd love to make it an 8" barrel AR Pistol with a suppressor. By I live in Communist NY. So that's not an option right now. Will be when I leave this baby killing, whore loving sink hole. It will be a 16" carbine with no muzzle break (pin welded thread protector)

For now, there is nothing that says you can't SBR or pistolize the barrel later and put a muffler on it when you live in a far less restrictive state.

I haven't made one, but could probably help you find the answers to questions that may come up. With that said, looks like several companies advertise 45acp uppers and lowers and other stuff, but slim pickin's on enough stuff in stock to go that route.

I have owned an old tommy gun. And an MPA defender (16 inch Mac 10 semi clone). I like them. They're like 9mm. But comparing 9mm and 45acp will probably open a can of worms and create thread hijacks and train wrecks and the end of the world as we know it.

I started to buy a vector 45acp uzi once. Glad I didn't though because vector has sank to the garbage heap of gun makers. Plus magazines are insanely expensive for them.

You could probably even go with a Hightower Armory bull pup stock and a Hi point 45acp or 10mm carbine would be pretty darn cool. I have considered that myself if it weren't for magazine changes being too slow for my taste on bullpups.

Plus, the hipoint might even comply with stupid laws.

@John A.

I have the plans to make a 45 ACP PCC. I'll need to pick up a 458 Socom Upper, Macon Armory DI lower adapter with Macon Armory proprietary magazines, CMMG Delayed Blowback BCG and Barrel. The rest is stock AR-15 parts. Aint a cheap built but the read up on those parts mating together seem extremely reliable. See what I can sell and how much I can get for a few handguns and a complete upper receiver. If I get enough I'll knock out a better upper receiver for my AR-15 and build the AR-45 in tandem.

Nothing wrong with that plan.

Right now, AR parts are as cheap as they ever have been. It's definitely a buyers market.

Back in 2000 or so, I couldn't even buy stuff as cheap as I can now, and at that time, I had my dealers licenses and got discounts with manufacturers, distributors and sometimes even with other dealers.

At that time, the absolute best price that I could do was about $450 for a CAST Olympic arms Plinker. The forged receivers were in the low $500's.

The only other AR makers at that time was bushmaster, dpms, colt, and rock river arms came along at some point. DPMS was the next expensive above Oly. Bushmaster were in the mid 750's and colt were always banging at a grand or a touch over.

But if you wanted an AR15 or parts, those were pretty much your choices to pick from.

I forgot about Essential Arms in Louisiana. They made good receivers too. But they have never had a large following for whatever reason. They always have been mostly an unknown. When I was on the staff at ModulAR Weapons forum, they got a small run of lowers on a group buy with them. That was my first experience with them. I also remember my buddy Tom had a local shop up in Washington state called SAA (surplus ammo and arms) did special pricing on a group buy but they came much later. I remember Doublestar, Noveske and Mega Arms popping up. Quentin Defense. Spikes Tactical. Delton got on the map with their blem units. Bravo Company. And there's probably a couple dozen more that elude me right now.

Seems like after 2004 when the ban ended, AR manufacturers boomed.

Which I guess is why the market is so saturated and prices have tanked.

Give it time though, it'll go back into orbit. Buy it cheap and stack it deep .

absolutely. if you're not buying stripped uppers, lowers, and parts kits now you're not capitalizing on the market. Who knows what will happen next year or years to come.

I'm actually not buying anything gun related. Haven't in quite a while now to be honest.

Was looking at a used 870 for $125 but couldn't convince myself that I "needed" another shotgun. Looked at a Remington 783 bolt action in 300 blackout for $339 and passed on it too.

I'm really wanting to do a 9x39 build but I refuse to buy into an import only caliber. If there were a steady supply of brass and bullet components, I could see myself going down that path. I'm certain that I could build a heckuva integrally suppressed upper and turn it into a bolt action complete with left side charge handle bolt. But like I said, no way in this world I would build it with Russian import ammo only though.

I have already decided how I'm going to build the suppressor on it. It's going to be very unique to say the least. But after seeing how the Russians only used a piece of sheet metal bent into 3 baffles and welded in place, if I couldn't do any better than that, I should hang my head in shame and never speak about guns again. Though their mounting method is pretty cool.

Check out the photos of the Russian design in this link: https://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=1105

I'm actually not buying anything gun related. Haven't in quite a while now to be honest.

Was looking at a used 870 for $125 but couldn't convince myself that I "needed" another shotgun. Looked at a Remington 783 bolt action in 300 blackout for $339 and passed on it too.

I'm really wanting to do a 9x39 build but I refuse to buy into an import only caliber. If there were a steady supply of brass and bullet components, I could see myself going down that path. I'm certain that I could build a heckuva integrally suppressed upper and turn it into a bolt action complete with left side charge handle bolt. But like I said, no way in this world I would build it with Russian import ammo only though.

I have already decided how I'm going to build the suppressor on it. It's going to be very unique to say the least. But after seeing how the Russians only used a piece of sheet metal bent into 3 baffles and welded in place, if I couldn't do any better than that, I should hang my head in shame and never speak about guns again. Though their mounting method is pretty cool.

Check out the photos of the Russian design in this link: https://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=1105

oh that looks cool! haven't heard of the 9x39 cartridge before!

with stripped uppers and lowers coming out to about $80 shipped and transferred total it's hard not to have a few on hand for future builds be it PCC, DMR, SPR, etc. And holosun's green elite series is really on point for my eyes. Black friday will be my final pick up on parts kits and any discounted holosun products. Shit you can get barrels for under $100 if you time it right. Salad days. Ammo prices too. with my recent pull back to rifles it's hard not to just dream up new rifle calibers I need to build for no other reason but for "feels".

Yeah, I've been watching the 9x39 with interest for a couple of years now. A few US companies are making 9x39 barrels, uppers, and complete guns now, but so far, the only ammo is imported by Wolf which sadly IS a deal breaker for me. Not that I have anything against wolf, but I do have a lot against political tit-for-tat where ammo could be banned by a swipe of the pen, either our pen or theirs, and I'm not going to put that much time and work on a gun that I can't readily buy or make ammo for. Otherwise I would just rush out and buy an old 25-20 lever action or some other obscure caliber that doesn't make much more sense.

If I can reload for it, that would put me over the edge though. And at first, I would still be hesitant. That's why it took me so long to get into the 300 blackout. Well, that and I really couldn't stand Robert Silvers and all of his wild claims he was making at virtually every gun forum in the world. He and I really clashed head on a few times.

But back to the 45acp build, it would be neat to find a lower that takes either glock or grease gun mags. And I would still prefer the latter.

I have looked at a couple 45acp glock 80% lowers. But still could never pull the trigger. Mostly because they're almost always out of stock when I actually have the extra money in hand to buy one.

But back to the 45acp build, it would be neat to find a lower that takes either glock or grease gun mags. And I would still prefer the latter.

I have looked at a couple 45acp glock 80% lowers. But still could never pull the trigger. Mostly because they're almost always out of stock when I actually have the extra money in hand to buy one.

I remember when I got my AR-9 lower (Glock mags). BF deal with 10x3 styles of mags in various capacities (33, 21, 17). It took six? months before PSA (or anyone) had an upper available. Not counting the mags, the AR-9 set me back around $450 after FFL fee. This was 3 years ago. Now they are very prolific, even in 80%. I'm certain (and hoping) AR-45s will follow the same path eventually.

I remember when I got my AR-9 lower (Glock mags). BF deal with 10x3 styles of mags in various capacities (33, 21, 17). It took six? months before PSA (or anyone) had an upper available. Not counting the mags, the AR-9 set me back around $450 after FFL fee. This was 3 years ago. Now they are very prolific, even in 80%. I'm certain (and hoping) AR-45s will follow the same path eventually.

I’m not a big fan of the glock lowers. The mag release is a bit weird and held in by a roll pin. I’d rather have an adapter and still have the functionality of the standard AR mag release. I’m just not a big fan of banging out a roll pin to service an issue down the road.

QC 10 has had AR45s out for a while as has Macon Armory. Primary arms started competing the past few years.

I’m pretty excited for this build. Hope I can make it happen sooner than later.

Looks like you can get the new frontier upper / lower and parts kit for under 8 bills. Including 10 oz buffer and LPK .

You'll just need to get whatever brace and buffer spring you want.

Back