• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.45 at home

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
Took a few minutes of Dave time this,morning. I like cycling rounds thru my "important" mags regularly so the newest nightstand gun was up. The G21sf .45
I have been using the 185 +p gold dots, theyre reputation precedes them. But, I found a couple boxes of Corbon 230grn +p jhp whats not to like about that ? My ?? Was how different is the poi and diff ranges between the 230 and 185 loadings in +p from this gun. So I shot from both 25yds and 15yds benched. See picture:0403191107.jpg
What has this scientific expirement revealed???
First I'm about an inch high from 25 yds (is it ballistics or my awful one eye vision)
Second the 185 seems obviously closer to MY poa
Third either is probably accurate and powerful enough at given ranges to really hurt something
Fourth. I am really CHEAP with expensive ammo and only fired a couple of each :quote:

Next up some good ole 230 Fmj off hand dreaded outdated weaver 10yds0403191115.jpgand what does this tell us ??
First DJ doesnt mind shooting alot of cheap bullets
Second DJ shoots better offhand than rested sometimes , huh , that's nonsensical but it happened
Third while we know 230 fmj is technologically a dinosaur that is an overpenetrating danger, I believe a couple center mass would still do the trick, (know your target and whats beyond)

Enough rambling BS , had some fun dumped and cycled my mags.
The .45 ammo of probably any flavor will stop soft fleshy beings.
Glocks are fat clunky square things that seem to feed eat shoot just about anything pretty well, and I love 14 rnds of 45 bore on tap.

Last edited:
I like the big heavy over penetrating 230 gr bullets.

Why?

Because I don't know of a 460 grain 45acp bullet that I could use instead.

:gimme5:

All joking aside, it's good to know how your gun is going to work with different bullets. And from the look of it, it performed well enough with both that you won't have to compensate while shooting either.

My opinion:
Your man/gun/ammo performance, even w/ evidence from just 4 rounds at 15+ yds, is sufficiently accurate for SD shooting against man-sized targets.

Pistol groups at 25 yds have a lot of randomness. Obviously 1 shot isn't demonstrative of inherent accuracy.

Best demo of good man/gun/ammo behavior in you tests was the 10 yd 7-shot group of course.

My opinion:
Your man/gun/ammo performance, even w/ evidence from just 4 rounds at 15+ yds, is sufficiently accurate for SD shooting against man-sized targets.

Pistol groups at 25 yds have a lot of randomness. Obviously 1 shot isn't demonstrative of inherent accuracy.

Best demo of good man/gun/ammo behavior in you tests was the 10 yd 7-shot group of course.
While I concur with much of your assesment, I must retort partially my dispatch of said rounds even one at any distance is never random dear Sir I am in fact in my own opinion an expert pistolero and marksman, one shot from me is surely all that is required for my obscure totally refutable experiments. These are of course designed to instigate discussion amongst the group. Buahahahahaha is this not the best forum around:ripper:
And yes I will reset the stage and send some at 25 on film for science sake , uno momento

While I concur with much of your assesment, I must retort partially my dispatch of said rounds even one at any distance is never random dear Sir I am in fact in my own opinion an expert pistolero and marksman, one shot from me is surely all that is required for my obscure totally refutable experiments.

Thank you for the correction. I shall make that note in my External Ballistics manual. :sniper:

@Scoop , I have reset and reshot the distance portion. While I found you to be correct that one round is surely not very quantitative evidence of a rounds accuracy , I do not appreciate your expenditure of my bullets and expect replacements by end of summer.
Ok a measured 25 yds and a gun bag rest.
5 rounds each an acceptable accuracy test I believe.
Target cardboard 10" squares like a chest size with a heart diagram.
Scoop was spot on my initial thought of simply ooh I'm 1" high at 25yds with pistol,based on 1 shot was well HI....
See pictures the 230s were appx a 4" grp and the 185s about a 5" grp. Much better analysis at distance.
I'm honestly a little disappointed in MY marksmanship , perhaps age catching the old dude..... But pretty average for unmolested duty type pistol I suppose.
0403191601_HDR.jpg 0403191610.jpg 0403191610a.jpg 0403191610b.jpg I will say pic your poison no ones going home happy from either of those.

Now from bottom of,my heart I hope especially any new folks to,forum read and see the humor and fun had here, yet we have a fabulous well informed and experienced brain trust that shares info,knowledge and motivates us to learn and train and practice and have FUN !!!!
THANK YOU ALL MOSSY FORUM :perfect:

Last edited:
There must be something to,that, wife said almost exact same thing !!!!

Smart woman. I like her.

If you enjoy shooting reactive targets, use water filled milk jugs or helium balloons tied to strings. You'll be amazed at how hard the balloons are to hit even with a slight breeze.

Smart woman. I like her.

If you enjoy shooting reactive targets, use water filled milk jugs or helium balloons tied to strings. You'll be amazed at how hard the balloons are to hit even with a slight breeze.
None of our milk water juice etc... Jugs leave the premisis without being shot :sniper:

In typical DJ fashion, I am of course manic and rarely satisfied. Sitting with my lip stuck out over 4 to 5 inch at 25yds with basic Glock would not let me sleep. Soo even though I know the .40 cal no longer in favor people have apparently developed some sort of resistance to 40 damage. I broke out the old nitestand gun my G22 gill gun with old school Glock light. Now this pistol I know very well for many years, were family.
I hung an envelope with a 2 inch mark on it over the earlier target same 25yds same rest, 4 federal 180grn hydrashoks, all I had left in box spare.0403191758.jpg 0403191800a.jpgThat I can live with publishing, I can sleep now. The G21 will get there in due time, or is it the bullets ? Or the trigger ? Or did the afternoon meteorological influences simply favor ???? OMG !!!

Its really a shame those 180grn 40cals just bounce off people now :rules:the gun mag says so.......

Last edited:
Heck Nah ! Still some daylight momma not home till 9. So, what about the Widow Jenkins down the road, fictional but theres one in every town. Fixed income, no training, cant afford a duty or,custom pistol def cant afford ammo and training. Well shes got dead Jeds 12 gauge and a round of SB 12 pellet buckshot, you think your better armed and efficient ???? Lets see, same game 25 yards (she has a really long hallway) kaboom, see pic , remember she only pulled trigger one time bubba. Held bead on blue dot, the line marks are hits. 0403191935.jpg 0403191941.jpg now im,done today, travel tommorow.

@nitesite , think my nuckles bad ya outa see the other , guy well actually briar patch I been cuttin.

@Scoop , I have reset and reshot the distance portion. While I found you to be correct that one round is surely not very quantitative evidence of a rounds accuracy , I do not appreciate your expenditure of my bullets and expect replacements by end of summer.
Ok a measured 25 yds and a gun bag rest.
5 rounds each an acceptable accuracy test I believe.
Target cardboard 10" squares like a chest size with a heart diagram.
Scoop was spot on my initial thought of simply ooh I'm 1" high at 25yds with pistol,based on 1 shot was well HI....
See pictures the 230s were appx a 4" grp and the 185s about a 5" grp. Much better analysis at distance.
I'm honestly a little disappointed in MY marksmanship , perhaps age catching the old dude..... But pretty average for unmolested duty type pistol I suppose.
View attachment 20500 View attachment 20501 View attachment 20502 View attachment 20503 I will say pic your poison no ones going home happy from either of those.

Now from bottom of,my heart I hope especially any new folks to,forum read and see the humor and fun had here, yet we have a fabulous well informed and experienced brain trust that shares info,knowledge and motivates us to learn and train and practice and have FUN !!!!
THANK YOU ALL MOSSY FORUM :perfect:

Dj, that shootin would send a bad guy to boot hill. My only question though, the pattern for the heart, was it white or wheat ?

Yeah, I've seen a lot of unfavorable chatter about 40 caliber online and in the gun rags.

Like so many other things in the gun world, is a lot like my favorite set of Bible verses.

Ecclesiastes 3: 1
To everything there is a season

And in the case of the firearm industry, the sun rises and sets on the newest cartridge, only until the next newest cartridge comes along

Yeah, I've seen a lot of unfavorable chatter about 40 caliber online and in the gun rags

Ecclesiastes 3: 1
To everything there is a season

And in the case of the firearm industry, the sun rises and sets on the newest cartridge, only until the next newest cartridge comes along

Its so simple its comical, especially for those who have dabbled in the industry. What was most supplied/bought/used etc.... Duty weapon caliber combo in the country of late ??? Hmmm, so we need to move new guns and ammo, how pray tell do we get all these depts to make a change and dump a bunch of new POs???? Which of,course gets followed by looky loo uninformed civilians , who will of course buy what the "officials" use. All this ballistic data BS is a brain screw, take the last I read on what this thread started .45, expansion difference .073 at 13.75 inches was not good but .075 was great at 13. Inch is amazing !!! Who freaking writes this garbadge and who buys it ?????

Show me nearly any caliber IL find a one shot stop AND a mutliple shot failure to back up an argument to,use it.......or not use it

Back