• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500 cruiser 20ga with heat shield

Best I can figure they don't make these anymore?? All I seem to find is the Maverick 88? Saw an old ad on one of the gun auction sites, a few years old, they were asking a ridiculous price, then it was removed. So when was it discontinued?

Lou, I think they still make a 20 ga Cruiser model without a factory heat shield.

But there are aftermarket heat shield offerings out there for the 20 ga.

Regards

Thanks Ernst. read my reply in the newbie section. I have it here with me, a model 50138, parkerized, bead site, heat shield, like new in box, maybe fired 20 times, with both 2 3/4 and 3", may buy it from my son. I seem to understand that Maverick 88 is basically the same weapon. Bought son two diff grips for it for Christmas,, but the Ole Man may just keep it, Any advantages to the 500 vs the 88?? Have box all invoices etc... Not tried it with the Hogue grip, or the shockwave, Shock wave doesn't have a sling swivel attachment, I'm not sure about this 14 inch bbl stuff. I wouldn't dare cut the bbl on this one, but, with the shock wave grip, would it be possible to do that legally? I had a FFL for about 15 years, but like a dummy let it go back, and I was grandfatherd in, on things like bars over windows etc...Son's wife has kind of made him a "snow flake" in some respects, but he still has a 1911.45 that I gave him years back, and a Walther .22 semi auto, so I may get this cruiser from him,

Lou, the 88 is an excellent shotgun at a good price point. Made down in Texas near El Paso. The differences are minor. The biggest one being the safety which on the 88 is part of the trigger group vice the tang safety of the 500.

There is an excellent recent video on the 88 in the Mossberg 88 section called a tourture test which will answer most of your questions.

I'd take a look at the Shockwave. I've had one since they came out and use it daily as a work gun. It really overcomes the wrist recoil issues of the cruiser configuration and after learning the push/pull firing technique is an excellent choice for home defense or a truck/work gun.

I'd be very careful modifing your existing shotgun given the current length restrictions, ever changing rules and mother may I permits. That's a whole different discussion which has been covered by a number of threads across the forum. But beware!!!!

Regards

Yep. Ernst covered the biggest difference being the trigger pack/safety location. On 500's, the selector is on top/rear of the receiver, which I personally like better, but either one is more than sufficient. There's a lot of cross bolt safety shotguns out there. The 870 being another very popular one.

I'm not looking the model numbers up mainly because mossberg changes the guns more frequently than some people change their underwear. But, I think the cruiser has an extended magazine which holds more than the traditional mossberg 500.

So, the barrel is also made differently, with the biggest difference being the big lug location where it attaches to the magazine tube. But that is model specific. There are many model 88's that share everything with the 500 even the barrel, less the trigger group due to the selector, which has already been covered.

I'm not sure about this 14 inch bbl stuff. I wouldn't dare cut the bbl on this one, but, with the shock wave grip, would it be possible to do that legally?

I missed this question earlier.

Unfortunately, no. You can't cut it to 14".

The reason as I'm sure we both are aware is stupid. And is nothing more than arbitrary stupidity.

But the short answer is, that gun started out as a long gun. So, even though you could make it exactly the same as a shockwave, the shockwave was always/ started out as "firearms", which are neither long guns or pistols.

So, in the eyes of the law, the only way to be able to do that is to start with a virgin receiver, which obviously is what mossberg did and why the shockwave is allowed.

It's basically the same difference that you can't turn a rifle into a pistol, unless you register it as a short barrel rifle. Only in this case, would be a short barrel shotgun, but I was using the example of sbr because more people are familiar with that scenario.

I know, there is not logic to that because at the end of the day, it's the same dang thing. But, you can reference thompson center vs atf for that because the supreme court ruled that way. You can turn it into a rifle if you start with a pistol, but you can't turn it into a pistol if it starts out as a rifle (long gun).

Stupid.

Absolutely.

Never expect government to get anything right.

But, that's where we are in society today. It's like when Rome was burning.

thanks guys for your replys, I'm not going to cut it, only thing I don't like about the shockwave grip is the absence of a sling swivel stud,, which Hey I'm a welder and fabricator, I'm sure I can adopt one if I so desire, I have an 870 also, which shoot very tight with the factory non vent , non screw in , full choke, good for turkey shoots around here that allow only stock, or certain restrictions on chokes. I love my High Standard shotguns too, have a variety of them, If he will part with it, may buy it from the son. I know it's probably not proper to ask at this point, since I'm a newbie, but I want to give him a fair price for it, since it MAY not be available from Mossberg any more, can you give me a clue? He has less than 400 in it. and will sell it to his "old Man" for lthat, and I promise to keep it or if I ever sell it split the profit with him?? Have box etc.....and the two extra grips, which I paid for.

Worth is whatever you and your son decide on ;)

$400 is getting up there though for a pump action. I'm still stuck in the 90's on shotgun prices and won't hardly pay more than $250 for a used shotgun no matter how nice it is. But that's just me.

I restored a High Standard bolt action 12 gauge a few years ago. By golly it's one tight shooting gun. Story here if you wanna read about the restoration: http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/i-have-this-old-gun.18812/

Lou, if you have a local firearms dealer who takes consignment sales you might have him give you an estimated sales price based on today's market in your area. They typically charge around 20% commission so to their advantage to know the going local market price so the firearms moves quickly and doesn't collect dust.

While the current market is crazy I'd tend to agree with John that the $400 price is getting up there for speciality pump. But some people are still paying way above market these days.

Typically, I only look at the value of the gun. If there are accessories being offered with it that's fine but they don't imfluence what I'd offer. In fact, the two dealers I frequent don't even state what accessories, if any, are include unless you specifically ask. Sometime you buy a gun and they bring out other stuff like cases, mags, slings, bayonet, following the purchase. But each their own.

Lou, guess I didn't understand your comment about a Shockwave not having a sling swivel stud. Are you talking about an aftermarket offering? A factory Shockwave comes equipped to mount a sling.

Regards

A little OT but there are dealers occasionally advertising NEW 88s with both 28" field and 18" security barrels for under $300. I don't have an example for you but I've seen this deal in the past month. It is conceivable you could sell the in-demand security barrel for an easy $150 and have a new gun for $150...

Back