• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500 safety stiff to operate

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
I've only heard of this a couple of times. One of my 500's is kinda stiff too, and it seems I have only heard it mentioned with new(er) guns.

Anyone else dealt with this and has anyone heard of a fix or just not worry about and call it a "breaking in" issue?

I cant say I remember it being a problem with my Persuader which is older, nor have I noticed it on my 590A1 which has a metal safety. I believe I've heard said it needs to be taken off and cleaned?

it could be that the stock bolt is to tight so its obstructing the safety to move easily..just unscrew it a bit. just a suggestion that it could be

Wanted to update on the stiff safety issue - I field striped the gun and cleaned out all the excess oil and also some white particles which I believe were little pieces of packing from somewhere in the box.
I reoiled it sparingly as instructions indicated and put it back together - the safety is still stiff, but not like it was, and feels a lot more even going forward (off) or backward (0n). In other words, it feels like a safety should feel in my opinion.
And after reading about the stock bolt I considered that also. When I reassembled the gun, I again followed instructions and I did not tighten it as much as the factory did, but still it is tight enough I think, did find the stock bolt was really in there tight (it's in the pistol grip on this one).
Really can't say which did the trick but I lean towards the bolt idea more than just clean and properly oiled innerds.
Also put a picatinny rail on - got it at Amazon - it's aluminum and pretty nice. Not sure what I'll put on the rail yet, as I am not clear on the need of sights, scope, etc. Also considering a flashlight, but want that underneath in front.
Thanks for the help and comments.

The safety on my persuader purchased a few weeks ago was very stiff. I actually formed a blister on my thumb trying to work it enough to loosen it up. There was no loosening the screw because it had a dreaded "non-removable" screw. I ordered a extended safety replacement kit. The best way to get the screw out is to grind the top of the screw with a dremel tool until you can get enough vertical surface to coax the screw around and out with a small punch and hammer. Once you get the screw out, the installation of the new safey is easy. The new safety worked excellently. I think the screw was just factory installed way too tight. The base plate under the safety showed considerable bright metal on the bottom on one end where it looked like it was cranked down hard.

I would suggest Mossberg go to standard fasteners here, in case an adjustment is required.

I'll add another comment - the stock bolt in mine is an allen wrench bolt (guess they all are), but in order to get the allen wrench into it, I had to use a small hammer and tap it in - this bolt is not real defined or finished, but I did manage to get it out and back in with what I believe is sufficient torque - if the stock falls off when shooting, I'll know I didn't tighten enough :D

I sent a couple emails to Mossberg about the really stiff safety. They wanted me to send them the gun....but said they would provide my comments to his supervisor.

MOSSBURG.jpg

I hope the message gets through to them to lose the non-removable screw, because for whatever reason it was added, I think it's doing more harm than good. So If anyone here has any connections with Mossberg, please let them know this is not an isolated problem. I have read other accounts where safety are stiff and people go through all kinds of difficulties removing the screw. (It took me a couple hours.)

Just wanted to add something here,

And no, I don't usually 'fumble' things up this badly, but...Son 'helped' me out by installing a rail on the 500. Not exactly sure where he got the rail from, but he used the mounting screws that came with it after removing the screws from the top of the receiver. To make a long story short, he used Loc-tite on the screws, "non-sparingly" :roll: , then after he was done, put the gun back in the corner to surprise me later.

Well, it was a nice surprise alright. He even added a reflex sight to it, from Midway. It looked real nice.

Then the real surprise came. Not sure how much Loc-tite he used, but it must have flowed down the inside of the receiver after he stood the gun back up in the corner. When I tried to cycle the action, it wouldn't budge. I then tried to take the gun off of Safety, it wouldn't move either :eek: So after asking him to repeat the steps he took, it was pretty easy to see that the culprit was the Loc-tite AND the length of the screws that came with the rails.

I had to heat the receiver up to the point where it was HOT to the touch before I could even get the screws to turn a little. But eventually I was able to get the screws out, and saw that the Loc-tite was also on the top of the receiver, under the rail. I was able to clean that off with more heat and a finger nail. To get the safety to move, I had to take a rubber mallet to it and give it a pretty good whack to break it free from the Loc-tite.

Everything moves now, even if it is still a little stiff. I'll need to do a complete disassembly on it and give it a thorough cleaning and lube. As for Loc-tite that may still be under the safety or stuck in the nooks and crannies, anyone have any ideas on what will clean that out WITHOUT removing the bluing?

Thanks in advance,
Mr. E

mister_e said:
Just wanted to add something here,

And no, I don't usually 'fumble' things up this badly, but...Son 'helped' me out by installing a rail on the 500. Not exactly sure where he got the rail from, but he used the mounting screws that came with it after removing the screws from the top of the receiver. To make a long story short, he used Loc-tite on the screws, "non-sparingly" :roll: , then after he was done, put the gun back in the corner to surprise me later.

Well, it was a nice surprise alright. He even added a reflex sight to it, from Midway. It looked real nice.

Then the real surprise came. Not sure how much Loc-tite he used, but it must have flowed down the inside of the receiver after he stood the gun back up in the corner. When I tried to cycle the action, it wouldn't budge. I then tried to take the gun off of Safety, it wouldn't move either :eek: So after asking him to repeat the steps he took, it was pretty easy to see that the culprit was the Loc-tite AND the length of the screws that came with the rails.

I had to heat the receiver up to the point where it was HOT to the touch before I could even get the screws to turn a little. But eventually I was able to get the screws out, and saw that the Loc-tite was also on the top of the receiver, under the rail. I was able to clean that off with more heat and a finger nail. To get the safety to move, I had to take a rubber mallet to it and give it a pretty good whack to break it free from the Loc-tite.

Everything moves now, even if it is still a little stiff. I'll need to do a complete disassembly on it and give it a thorough cleaning and lube. As for Loc-tite that may still be under the safety or stuck in the nooks and crannies, anyone have any ideas on what will clean that out WITHOUT removing the bluing?

Thanks in advance,
Mr. E

I dont know what finish, assuming blued finish, I had luck using WD-40 or LIGHTER FLUID(!!!) on my PTR-91 to remove some excess UBC(ultra bore coat), and even when it's not 'shot in' without the pressure and heat from the cartridge, it still wants to STICK AROUND!! I'd make sure to test a small portion, like the back of the receiver where the stock will cover the spot IF it does take off bluing, PTR-91, and Win 1300 took it, I think that the Mossy should too. GOOD LUCK!
Steve

Back